Revised PKR to TKR Revision is done

Thank you, Mamie I wish you all the best. I hope you are doing better, prayers for you everyday! I’m getting my stitches out today. All I want to do is sleep is this normal? Also, I can walk with out the walker short distances but my knee is so tight, can you please guide me to exercises that will help with bending of my knee, but not cause such horrible pain. Hope everyone has a good day. Sorry again I’m not very computer literate, I didn’t mean to take anything away from Mamie.

I didn’t mean to take anything away from Mamie.
You didn't. We just didn't want people to start answering your question on Mamie's thread and then forget who's thread it really was. You are doing just fine! Short comments about your recovery and Mamie's recovery are fine on her thread. But, any questions anyone has needs to be posted on their own threads.

Nap just as much as your body wants to. When you are asleep, no matter where or when your knee is healing more. Sleep is one of the best things for you in your early recovery.

can you please guide me to exercises that will help with bending of my knee, but not cause such horrible pain.
Right now your knee is very upset from the onslaught of the surgery. It’s going to take a long time to settle down and relax.

This early in recovery you don’t need a lot of exercises, just gentle movements to keep it mobile.

If you want to do exercises, these are the only ones you need:
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Your knee will bend just fine as you heal and as your swelling goes down, so don’t worry.:console2:

Thanks , sistersinhim. The nurse was just here took at my staples, I told her I took 2 weeks off from Pt and she told me to be careful not to get my knee frozen. She said I was at about 45 degrees, I thought it was more it’s only been 2 week since my surgery. She did say it is counterproductive, if my pain was at a 7. Any advice?

Your knee will not freeze. Right now swelling is blocking your ROM. Ice, elevate and don’t overdo, so your swelling can come down.

Your nurse is really old-scheduled. Up-to-date medical workers know that aggressive therapy after a joint replacement is unnecessary and even counterproductive. Thank God many PT and nurses are trained in the newer way to rehab these replacements. You should search for one of these PTs.

I’m a little nervous, stopped Pt for 2weeks. My pain is completely under control, feeling much better walking around the house with the walker. Doing heel slides, can’t bend completely but have some bend. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is it ok to still use walker? I feel like my balance is off, thank you in advance.

Doing heel slides, can’t bend completely but have some bend. Is there anything else I should be doing? Is it ok to still use walker? I feel like my balance is off, thank you in advance.
For being just two weeks, you are doing just right. As long as your balance is off use that walker. It is a safety device and you need it to keep from falling. I used mine in the house for about a month and outside of the house for about 6 weeks. I'd much rather use the walker than fall.

All you need to do is walk around the house every hour or so doing your daily activities. That all your knee needs to rehab itself. After all, it was made for walking not doing weird exercises!

Good morning, Just checking in so no Pt this week pain level is way down. I’m walking with a cane, knee feels good and as the day goes on it gets tight and stiff. Not sure how far I can bend, but when I wake up and put my legs off the side of my bed, both knees are in the same place. And I can sit on the couch with both knees even. Pt call me yesterday, I’m taking 1 more week off and then trying it again he said he was going to take it slow. I told him if he didn’t that was it, I’m down with Pt this is a revision and I don’t want to mess it up. Looking to my Bone Smart friends for guidance. Thanks everyone have a good weekend.

Feeling wiped out is very normal after this surgery.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/

I am glad you let your PT know you're the boss-keep that up! Remember-he works for you and can only do what you allow him to do. Or, if you decide you don't want PT at all, that is also your decision. Just make sure that along with icing and elevating, you walk regularly, increasing your distance as time passes. Read and re-read the activity progression article-I read it daily as a reminder to not do too little, or too much, at any given time in my recovery.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/

@Revision lefty you will notice I move several of posts you had posted on another member's thread to your recovery thread. It's OK to comment on another member's thread but any questions or comments about your own recovery should be here so that you don't derail another member's thread.

Hello everyone, last night was a rough one a lot of pain and couldn’t sleep. Tomorrow is 3 weeks, I thought the bad nights were over, I was up and about more yesterday and went up and down the steps for the first time. Went for a short walk out on the driveway. I’m thinking maybe it was too much?Also feeling very exhausted and wanting to nap a lot. Pt is coming back next week, I told him we are going extremely slow and if he can’t I will cancel all future Pt. I just want this to heal very well, not sure about my right knee I had my kneecap replaced in 2010 and that has been getting painful Dr said let’s replace left and see how the right feels after the left is fixed. Hoping for the best.

@Revision lefty you posted this earlier:
stopped Pt for 2weeks. My pain is completely under control, feeling much better walking around the house with the walker.
Now you are in pain again. Why are you even considering PT now? Just your activities of daily living are wiping you out. I would really recommend you skip PT for now. You can go back to it when that knee is healed.

You are exhausted due to energy drain. It is real and you just can't fight it. Nap when you can. Here's another copy of the article from our Library: Energy drain for TKRs

So on 8/18 it will be a month since my TKR. Swelling has gone down considerably, and pain is better for the most part. When I first wake up, it’s good but then it gets so tight and stiff when does that get better? I’m going to try PT again this week, on my terms very slow gentle stretches, no squats or weight bearing only on my new knee. Is it too early to get on a recumbent bike, and just rock back and forth? Thanks I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Hello!

At my PT, they have me on the recumbent bike just rocking. We bought one for our home but it was one you cannot control to just rock. I would think that You should ask your doctor or PT about it first. You have been through so much it would be a shame to push to hard. You remain in my prayers for an easier and complete recovery. The only thing I know for sure is that the leaders here are fantastic for finding your answers.
Take care and don’t forget to do icing and elevation after doing any exercises. It helps me, and hopefully helps you too.

You know, this group is far better than any Joint Boot Camp I’ve heard about. Maybe one day they will sell a really nicely designed smart looking T-shirt we could all buy to help support this Group. We are all in this together. lol. Just thinking of ways so we can all smile. Take care.

Good evening, my Pt is coming tomorrow so I will check with him about the bike. I hope you are doing better, this is a marathon after all not a sprint. I keep forgetting it’s only been a month since my surgery. I have a lot of stiffness and tightness that gets worse as the day goes on. I guess with time that will get better. I haven’t had my ROM checked yet, so I will be interested to see where I’m at with that and not getting worried about it just curious. Taking Pt slow tomorrow and no squats! Be well Mamie keep up the rosaries with me.

Hello everyone, Pt came this am and he could not believe the difference in my knee (for the better) he said taking 2 weeks off goes completely against what he was taught in school. He is wondering if he could go somewhere on the site and read up on the BoneSmart way. My flexion is 91 and today is one month since my revision, I’m so happy and glad I found this site.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom