Revised PKR to TKR Revision is done

Good morning, yesterday was a week since my surgery. It sure did go fast, all was going well I was starting to walk really well. Then the Pt came and had me do new exercises such as heel raises, mini squats, hip extensions, hip Abductions. Hip/ knee flexion, butt kicks, seated knee bends. Needless to say my knee blew up and was so painful and I couldn’t walk and couldn’t sleep because of the pain. Finally my question is this too much too soon? Trying to recover today rest, ice, elevation. Thanks

That is exactly what happened to me. I had TKR around the time you got your revision. Got new squat/lunge exercises last Monday and was massively swollen and in agony Tuesday. Backed off to just CPM, walking, ice, elevating and it’s 1000% better. So yep, I’d say too much too soon. Hope you’ve bounced back with a more gentle approach.

I don’t understand why more PTs don’t realize that we have been surgically wounded and we are recovering, not training for an athletic event. I bet someone who hasn’t had a recent knee replacement would be a bit sore after doing all the exercises some of us are told to do! :doh:

So it’s Saturday and I’m still in a fair amount of pain from my Pt on Tuesday. He did come on Thursday and didn’t make me do things he thought would make my knee flair. We did toe/heel raised, marching in place and hip/ knee flexion. However a I’m in a fair amount of pain, as of today Saturday. I’m thinking of canceling my appointment for Monday. I see him 2 times per week. My walking seems to be going well but when I let my knee hang down or in a sitting position it does not feel good. I’m so nervous I want the best outcome I can have, please help am I doing too much not enough. should I touch base with my surgeon he didn’t send me home with any information on my rom and I don’t see him until September 3. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Revision lefty,
I agree it is a good idea to cancel your PT appointment, your pain should have recovered by now from your Thursday session.
Your surgery was just 2 weeks ago, you are still in the angry knee stage, recommend you give your knee a break so it can heal. You can do the following two gentle activities.
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

For ROM, your swelling needs to go down before you can improve your ROM. Until then your knee is like a full water hose, hard to bend.

Here is a list of how much ROM you need to do general functions.
These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.

If you are at 65 to 70 you are doing great, as your swelling goes down your ROM will appear, it has always been there.
Expect after a revision you may be a little slower than after a primary TKR to gain ROM.

Revision lefty,
I agree it is a good idea to cancel your PT appointment, your pain should have recovered by now from your Thursday session.
Your surgery was just 2 weeks ago, you are still in the angry knee stage, recommend you give your knee a break so it can heal. You can do the following two gentle activities.
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

For ROM, your swelling needs to go down before you can improve your ROM. Until then your knee is like a full water hose, hard to bend.

Here is a list of how much ROM you need to do general functions.
These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.

If you are at 65 to 70 you are doing great, as your swelling goes down your ROM will appear, it has always been there.
Expect after a revision you may be a little slower than after a primary TKR to gain ROM.
Thank you very much, I will check my ROM first thing tomorrow. I am a bit swollen. I appreciate the information, I will cancel Monday’s appointment and try pt again on Thursday. I’m getting my stitches out on Tuesday. Thanks again.

Hello Revision Lefty! :friends:

I am sorry you are having trouble, but CONGRATULATIONS for having the guts to get it done so life can get better. I have had to learn to speak out for myself. PT seems to be a field for those who enjoy inflicting pain but not here and some outpatient offices, which I have not found. Every post I have read state when the person follows the PT here on BoneSmart, they recover without the pain of therapy in a formal setting. The exercises for the bed are gentle. I have been told by surgeon friends and supporters here to remember baby steps and you are in that stage. I know pumping the foot to help avoid blood clots has helped me.

Take care of yourself,
Mamie
:elevate:

Unfortunately my Pt has been rough, I was feeling great walking pretty well. And after my second Pt visit I was in excruciating pain. My Pt seems like a good guy just had me do things my new knee was not ready for, squats, standing on one leg ie, my new new. Just too much, next visit he took it slower but I‘m just not ready for it.Going to put my pt on hold for 2 weeks and just do gentle stretching, heel slides and such.I can’t afford for this knee not to heal right. I wish you all the best, and pray that things will go smoothly for you.

:hi: Thank you. You are such a trooper, you are always in my prayers. I sincerely hope you get the PT and pain relief you deserve. I am here if you ever need to just chat. I love this support group. Each and every moderator has been kind to me helping me get past the awful experiences I have had. The support and love you feel here are extraordinary.

Ice has helped me so much especially when pain meds were not available. I hope it is helping you too.

Mamie

@Jockette
I have decided to cancel my Pt for next 2 week, and let things calm down and see how I feel at that point. I can’t afford for my knee not to heal right. My pain has been through the roof can’t sleep and my knee is so swollen.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Thank you. You are such a trooper, you are always in my prayers. I sincerely hope you get the PT and pain relief you deserve. I am here if you ever need to just chat. I love this support group. Each and every moderator has been kind to me helping me get past the awful experiences I have had. The support and love you feel here are extraordinary.

Ice has helped me so much especially when pain meds were not available. I hope it is helping you too.

Mamie
You are a trooper as well, this surgery is not for weak. You are in my prayers as well, I extend the same offer to you if you ever need to talk. Ice has helped me a ton, so much that I ordered another to have a backup. As far as the Pt , I truly think he is not trying to increase my pain. They have not learned that 90 degrees doesn’t have to happen a few weeks time. I’m very grateful for this forum to get the support we need to get through this marathon. God Bless and be well! Chat soon

@Revision lefty
You can just scoot down to the box at the bottom of the page to reply to posts, no need to quote the post.
You can tag the member you are responding to by putting an @ before their user name as I did with your username.
Thanks!!!

My surgeon said he would be happy with 90 degrees at 3 months, really took the pressure off of me.

I’m glad you are taking some time off from formal PT. I’m sorry you are still feeling that increased pain.

This article is in the recovery guidelines, it mentions some exercises that are not in your best interest:

I called my Surgeon this morning and told him I was taking a 2 week break from PT. His assistant said it was ok, as long as I go back in 2 weeks. I last had Pt last Thursday, the swelling has gone down. I have been sleeping an awful lot. Mostly cat naps, but it doesn’t take much for me to nod off I guess this is good. Today, I feel like I can walk with the cane and not the walker. My knee is still and tight, but better is all this normal? My surgery was 2 weeks tomorrow, are revision’s harder to recover from?

@Revision lefty , I've moved your post, above, from Mamie's thread, because it was all about your recovery and had nothing to do with her recovery at all.
Doing that tends to disrupt Mamie's thread, because people would start to reply about your knee, taking the emphasis off Mamie's recovery.

It's lovely that you and Mamie are supporting each other in recovery, but please try to speak about your knee on your own thread, except to make a quick remark.

I'm really glad that you decided to take a couple of weeks off PT, because it's done your knee no good at all so far. Your knee is already starting to improve, without being set back by over-ambitious therapy.

Even though your surgeon's PA said you must go back to PT in 2 weeks' time, that decision is up to you. It's your knee and if you feel you aren't ready to go back, then don't go.
If you do go back, remember that you are the only one with the right to say what happens to your knee, so you can decide not to do any exercise that doesn't feel right for your knee and your therapist has to accept your decision. You are in charge, not the PT.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

My surgery was 2 weeks tomorrow, are revision’s harder to recover from?
At only 2 weeks post-op, your knee is still like a new baby. It's not lazy - it's wounded and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can heal. There are no deadlines you have to reach, no progress you should expect yet. Your knee is going to recover on its own schedule and it knows what it's doing.

A revision may be harder to recover from, but it may not. I think a lot depends on how much had to be done during the surgery.
I had a revision and I found it no harder to recover from than my original surgery.

Sorry I posted on Mamie’s thread, I did not mean to detract from her experience at all.
We know that you and Mamie are recovery buddies, and it’s fine to post in each other’s thread, and to talk about what you are both experiencing that is similar.

Any questions you have should be here in your thread, so we can address them here, and not on someone else’s thread. This way all your information is in one place for you. Bonesmart runs a little differently from other forums.

It’s good to have a nice relationship with another member, it helps us get through this recovery.:flwrysmile:

Hello Revision Lefty. You are a champ as I said before. I do not think I knew that either nor did you do anything that took away from me. We are all learning. I hope I have not broken the rules either. Stay strong.

Mamie

BTW: If I was not to post here, I apologize. All of our hearts are in the right place. This is the best support group I have ever known.

It's OK to post in each others' threads to encourage each other, but be sure that you only post briefly about yourself, and keep the bulk of the posting about your own recoveries in your own recovery threads.

What you posted, above, was perfectly fine, @Mamie . You got the right idea there.

If you post too much about your own recoveries in each others' threads, the recoveries get all tangled up and people get confused about whose recovery is which.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88