Revision THR Revision Hip Recovery

Molly Malone

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi, Not sure if I should post as in case it puts people off surgery.I had my initial THR in August but suffered a dislocation in September. It was horrendous. It was my own fault as I sat on a garden bench that was too low.The hip was put back in and all went as planned until November when it dislocated again. This time I just went to pick something off the floor but because it was almost 12 weeks post surgery, I thought it was safe. Anyway, it resulted in another ambulance trip to hospital and I ended up getting a revision operation at the end of November. I have been really careful this time and all has gone fine. Only , I am now 12 weeks post-op and am nowhere near back on my feet. I still need a crutch. Without it I am badly lame! I also find it hard to do housework as my hip gets painful.I am doing 3 walks of about 20 minutes each day and one exercise the OS gave me.This is a lateral leg lift. Should I be doing more? I also cannot lift my operated leg without supporting it. Is this normal? I would be grateful for any advice.

Hello @Molly Malone - and :welome:

I'm sorry you've had problems, but I hope this last surgery has fixed things.

Please will you tell us the full dates of your hip replacement, subsequent revision, and which hip it is, so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately in the future.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I am doing 3 walks of about 20 minutes each day and one exercise the OS gave me.This is a lateral leg lift. Should I be doing more? I also cannot lift my operated leg without supporting it. Is this normal?
I think that's plenty of exercise. Hips don't really need much.
Your hip has been through a lot and I;m sure the strength to lift your leg will return, as you continue to heal.

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new hip:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Molly Malone Welcome to BoneSmart! Two major ops and 2 dislocations on the same hip within a matter of months - that's major trauma! No, I don't think you should be doing more. If anything I would suggest dropping the exercise for now and cut your walking down as well. Focus on ice and elevation. Icing will ease the inflamed soft tissues and muscles. Perhaps very gentle stretches to get the muscles in that op leg working again.

Hello and welcome to the forum! You have had a difficult time of things and I'm so sorry to read what transpired.
I can only imagine that it's going to take a much longer time to recover from so much trauma.
I think going slowly and steadily will be your best bet.
There are several members on this forum who have had revisions and have had good results. The first one that comes to mind is @Fit4Family .

Maybe you could read her thread, and see how well she is doing, but not without some soreness and she is walking with much caution.

Glad you found the forum, it has a wealth of practical information. :yes:

Wow! So sorry to hear of your painful ordeal. Dislocation sounds horrible and the only thing worse is 2! I do know someone that had a similar deal with 2 dislocations and a revision and there have been others that posted on this board. Hopefully this will be the last of it and you can get on with healing. The first THR and the 2 dislocations were extreme trauma to your muscles and now with the revision I'd think it will take some time to get them healed. I am very surprised that the exercise they gave you to do is a lateral leg lift. I always thought that was laying on your side and lifting the leg straight up. That was something that was very painful and it took a very long time before I could do that with my first hip. I don't even try it with my newest hip yet.
Are you icing for the pain?

Welcome to BoneSmart @Molly Malone You have been through it to be sure. I am so sorry. Please take it easy for a nice long while and let your ligaments, tendons and muscles heal. I have had 3 surgeries on the same hip in a bit over a year. I do know overdoing it is not worth it.

The remarkable thing is that I will just notice one day that something feels better or is getting easier. It comes together without any real exercise except walking. I am still restricted to 90 degree and no twisting. Harder to remember when nothing hurts. When was your last surgery? Great community here, it’s an encouraging group of people. Wishing you success and complete healing. :flwrysmile:

Thank you all for all your kind and helpful comments. Only sorry I didn't discover this forum sooner. I will definitely use the ice.I had my first surgery August 26th on my left hip. I dislocated on Friday September 13th and again on November 13th.(Unlucky 13 !!!). My revision surgery was November 25th.My family , friends and neighbours have all been fabulous to me and that has really helped. I've had a few meltdowns so I was really glad to see it is only a reaction to the trauma.

You will get some great advice from people who have many experiences, in this forum. I am so sorry you had such an eventful time after your first surgery.

I hope this last surgery remains uneventful for you. :flwrysmile:

With all you have been through you are definitely going to have to be patient and expect a slow recovery @Molly Malone. If you don't mine me asking we are going to be visiting Ireland in June for a couple of weeks (got tickets to one of the Eruo 2020 games) and wondering if there is somewhere you would suggest that we should absolutely not miss while we are there. My family traces its history back to Ireland so I'm rally looking forward to this trip.

Hi @FCBayern . Thanks for the advice. Gosh, I hope you have a lovely time. Well ,it depends on what you are into and what part of the country you will be in. For beautiful scenery, head for the west/south west. Kerry and West Cork are amazing. I'd definitely advise you to do the Ring of Kerry. June is a little off season so you might get hotels or inns a little cheaper. Galway is also lovely and very historic while the beautiful Aran Islands would be lovely at that time of year. You can cycle around there. Natural beauty spots include the Cliffs of Moher in Clare.If you are staying in Dublin, places worth visiting are Trinity College, The Guinness Brewery, Kilmainham Jail.There are also museums and if you are into sport, Croke Park is worth a visit- even better if you can get a ticket for a hurling game. Wicklow is quite near Dublin and places worth visiting are Glendalough and Powerstown Waterfall . If you are into Game of Thrones, visit Belfast and there's also a Titanic museum there. Definitely visit a pub or two and try the guinness. Hope this helps . Message again if you need advice on any of it. Cheers

Wow, Molly...you've been through a lot! I think a few meltdowns are certainly understandable. I'm sorry for the pain you've suffered and hopefully things remain on an even keel as you continue healing. Please stay in touch, we'd love to support you through your recovery journey.
A peaceful week to you!
@Molly Malone

I'm so glad you have found this forum. You will have a friendly, safe place to share your worries, and also a place where someone has most likely had a similar experience and will be able to offer your some good ideas. You have been through so much, both emotionally as well as physically. While your body heals physically, please know that it is a very healthy response to feel overwhelmed, up, then down, and all over the place. That is a very healthy response to stress:) Take care.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom