BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

Revision fears

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by EvaJean, Mar 14, 2019.

1. EvaJean

EvaJean new member

United States United States
    I had my 2nd THR in December 2017 and have had three dislocations in the past year. My orthopedic surgeon (and one I contacted for a 2nd opinion) advises a revision. I have been told that the success rate is 70-90% in preventing further dislocations. Have any of you on this forum had good luck with revisions? I really don't want more surgery, but I can't live with the possibility of further dislocations.

2. Hippielife

Hippielife member

Hi Eva. I’m very sorry that you have to have a revision so soon. It’s something that we never expect. I also had revision 5 years after primary surgery. It was due to another design issue for a revision and it’s important to have a normal life and no pain.

I know you're looking to revision for just that reason to walk and live life with no pain or dislocations. THR has been the goal since hip osteoarthritis kind of gives us hippies the best alternative to improve our lives through hip joint replacement.

Dislocation is something that can be corrected through revision so it will not happen again. For my first hip I had a bone graft and screws included in the cup to prevent dislocation. That was 20 years ago. Today new designs for preventing dislocation for revision includes a anti dislocation design included with the new cup addition in the acetabulum. My sister had that type of prosthesis with her revision.

I don’t know what type you have now or what type your surgeon has planned for your revision. But you could ask about a new prosthesis that is designed with a extra ring/screws around the cup to prevent dislocation. Since we have been through hip replacement before revision is knowing the recovery takes time and patience and the opportunity for a successful outcome.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Newbie tkr

Newbie tkr member

Hi Eva: I too am having a revision done on my left hip- 2 weeks...the initial hip replacement I got in 2005 has worn out.
    I'm told the risks are a little higher for a revision than the 1st hip replacement. Not too shaken up now...please tell me your surgery date?
    xoxo,
    Diana

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Not me but someone I know had dislocation problems right from the beginning. After a couple of dislocations in the first months it was corrected with a revision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@EvaJean
    Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
    Go to the hip recovery forum, click on a yellow revision banner, a list of members with revisions will pop up. Here is a link.
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/hip-replacement-recovery-area.5/?prefix_id=19

Please post your surgery dates for both hip replacements, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact dates will allow us to properly advise you. Thanks!

Dislocation: incidence of dislocation after THR
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Dislocations: what are the risks?

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @EvaJean I know you don't want more surgery but to be honest I would be more worried about leaving that faulty hip in place than about a revision. Constantly dislocating is just not right and has major impact. Find a revision surgeon you trust and get this done quickly. Time to get back to living again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. prairienut

prairienut senior

I had a revision 10 weeks ago after a 10-year-old femoral implant loosened. I also heard about revisions being higher risk than primary THRs and that recovery could take longer. What I found is that my revised hip is more stable and secure than my original one ever was and that recovery was faster and easier.

The speedy recovery is probably in part due to the surgeon having to swap out only the femoral implant and not also the acetabular cup implant. If I were frequently dislocating, I would not hesitate to schedule a revision as soon as possible after finding a surgeon that is experienced and skilled in revisions. The best of luck to you in your journey towards a stable hip joint!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi EvaJean :wave: Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
    I'm sorry you've struggled with multiple dislocations and are facing a revision. There are many successful revision threads here. It sounds as though it's you're only option to move toward with the set-backs you've experienced.
    I'll bet you do well and we'll be here to support and encourage you through it all.
    Wishing you clarity in making a decision and peace of mind once you do. You can do this. :yes!:
    @EvaJean

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The most common cause of dislocation is a malpositioned implant. Usually the cup but occasionally the stem. And it needs to be corrected.

• Agree Agree x 1