Revision THR Revision done

Charly

Country
United States United States
Good morning. My revision surgery went well and I’m not feeling too bad. I’m sitting in the chair waiting for breakfast to come. I slept well last night. The anesthesia left me pretty groggy and so I fell to sleep quickly. My pain was mostly in my groin and incision area. So far it’s been controlled with tramadol and Tylenol I think they gave me 1 OxyContin during the night. My surgeon didn’t have to cut into my femur like he said he might have to. That’s good news.

I left the hospital the day after surgery. I wasn’t expecting to get out of there so guickly. I go for my post op doctor appt in June. I had a very shortened leg when my first hip surgery was operated on. My surgeon said he didn’t think he could fix that without damaging my sciatica so when he came to me after surgery he told me he reejkyrngrn rightist had just about gotten the left leg back to match length of right leg. So that’s good news. However I noticed that my left foot is turning inwards. Anyone else have this happen to them ? I’m really glad I’ve got this behind me and my pain is very much under control. Tomorrow will be day 3 I’ve heard a lot of you say day 3 is the worst so far as pain goes. Maybe not for me.

Congratulations. I’m 8 days post revision. Every day has been better for me. Day 3 was better than day 2. Day 8 hasn’t been great but that’s my fault. I turned my revision side toe in too much and seemed to have strained something creating the worst pain since leaving the hospital.

@Charly Welcome to the other side again! Slow and steady. Unfortunately the early discharge from hospital tends to make people assume the recovery will be quicker. NOT! Sounds like your revision was fairly complex. Listen to that hip and take the time you need to heal completely.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here in case you need a refresher:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
:wave:GIad to see pain is managed and you are on the Healing Side.
I remember a few members being concerned about their foot turning in...maybe @Ocean ?
Hers resolved I believe....

@Charly

I hope that your recovery goes smoothly and that you are comfortable. As @Mojo333 said, my foot turned in after the right THR. The physiotherapist mentioned it when they first came to get me out of bed after the op. She said that I must concentrate on making it go straight or it would result in back pain. I did my best to make it go straight and it worked.

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be day 3 I’ve heard a lot of you say day 3 is the worst so far as pain goes.
How are you doing today? Is your pain still under control? Hoping so! :flwrysmile:

Hi all, my pain is still very minimal. I’ve been up and walking through the house using my walker. Never any pain while lying down or resting in my lift chair, but pain when I move around the house or when I try to lift leg up. My first at home PT visit today and I forgot to ask her about my foot turning inward when I walk. She didn’t mention it or didn’t notice it. My hospital PT saw it and told me to just try to keep it pointed forward, I will surely try but it’s not real easy to do. I’m going to try really hard to do that though because I lived with the shortened leg for two years and I want to walk straight now. Both feet flat on the floor pointed in the right direction.
I believe wholeheartedly that my going to outpatient PT for the last 3 months really helped with my recovery so far. I know I have a long way to go but I’ll get there. Good luck on everyone’s healing. Have a nice Memorial Day.

I had to I practice alot of "mindful" heel-to-toe walking after surgery.

Hope your weekend is restful and healing!:SUNsmile:
:flwrysmile::ok:

Good morning everyone. I am off of all pain meds except I do take two 500 mg. Tylenol at bedtime every night. I’ve noticed that at times I feel pain to the left side of my knee on the operated leg? Never felt that before. Also have pain on operated side the muscle in my butt. When I push there with my fingers it is sore to push. I know the numbness is going away and maybe that is why I’m feeling that soreness. Last night was the the end of my son staying with me and knowing he was here made my nights more restful. I’ve been sleeping in my lift chair but the plan is for me to start sleeping in my bed beginning tonight with no one here. It concerns me about getting up during the night to use the bathroom. I keep a potty chair beside my bedside but I worry about can I get up and out of the bed quickly enough. I’ve been practicing this. Tomorrow will be 1 week since surgery and compared to my first replacement the going has been easier this time around. Yay for all of the little things. Have a great day!!!

at times I feel pain to the left side of my knee on the operated leg? Never felt that before. Also have pain on operated side the muscle in my butt.
All quite normal since you are less than a week out of surgery. The surgeon did a lot of work in there and the soft tissue took a beating. Expect to be sore for a while.

You might trying increasing your Tylenol dosage to reduce the discomfort. BoneSmart recommends taking 2 extra strength tables (500 mg each) every six hours (4 times a day) -- as long as none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day.

Remember that it's important to stay ahead of the pain by taking them on a regular schedule. As a reminder, here is a link to the pain management chart https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/

Hi everyone, just a quick update on my revision, it will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. Just started to have a lot of soreness/pain on the inside of both knees. Been using ice and Tylenol and bio freeze. I’m thinking now that my legs are both the same length and I’m wearing new regular shoes without a lift maybe my muscles are getting used to this new way of me walking after 3 years of walking with a shortened leg even though I had lifts molded onto my shoe for the shorter leg. Does that make sense? The pain is pretty strong, wakes me up during the night. I see my surgeon on Monday 6/12 and he will take staples out. They are starting to bother me too.
Home PT comes tomorrow and I don’t think I can do what she wants me to do so far as excercises. What she had me do last 2 visits was pedaling using one of those floor pedal things. Marches, full weight on one leg at a time and she tried to get me to use a cane. Couldn’t do that, I feel very unstable. Squats, but not actually sitting down just holding the position I’m in just before I would sit. Everything is going well and I’m sleeping pretty good. I hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi Charly,
Please don't allow PT to push you through movement that hurts. You are only 13 days post op. Marches can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings. Same with squats.
Read the article below as guidance, if interested.
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

I am happy to read you're sleeping well. If pain is waking you in the night, consider icing as you fall back asleep, if you're not already. I used to grab a fresh ice pack during that middle of the night trip to the bathroom and found it helpful. Thanks for the update. I hope you have a nice rest of the week!
@Charly

Hi Charly,
Layla has that right. Don’t let anyone force you to do anything that makes you uncomfortable. My in home PT was incredibly helpful. Most of my exercises are laying in bed flat on my back. Simple glute flexing, hula extensions, knee slides, bridging, abductions, and some standing in the kitchen counter knee lifts, toe lifts, and single leg balancing. Strength training such as squats are for much later once the swelling has completely gone down. Take it easy, elevate, and ice. I don’t know what led to your revision but I can’t discount the heavy PT that I put myself through 3 years ago after my first THR. Having the advice, knowledge and compassion that I have felt here on Bonesmart has made a huge difference during my revision recovery. Hang in there and I pray better days are ahead for you.

@Charly - your knee pain is something similar to mine, but was on the outside of the knee of the operative leg. After some digging around, I figured it was my IT band stretching due to my leg now fitting properly into my pelvis. I couldn't fully straighten that leg when my other leg was fully straight (when they were close together). Because the IT band itself doesn't really stretch, the attachment points bear the brunt of it, which is at the knee and higher up on the hip. The only answer was to work on stretching the muscle where it inserted into the hip area. It went from very painful (when trying to sleep on my side) to almost unnoticeable now.

My guess is that yours is similar to mine in that your leg alignment is very different from what it was and your body is chirping about it. Definitely try to work on it once your hip is ready for it.

What she had me do last 2 visits was pedaling using one of those floor pedal things. Marches, full weight on one leg at a time and she tried to get me to use a cane. Couldn’t do that, I feel very unstable. Squats, but not actually sitting down just holding the position I’m in just before I would sit.
Might have something to do with soreness in both knees.

It's been one month to date since your revision, Charly. Happy One Month Anniversary!
How is your recovery going? Please let us know when you have the time.
Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@Charly

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties