Hinged Joint Revision Complete, recovery continues

Chris you are so very welcome! Isn't it great that we all have each other. Some times all of you are the only people I can talk to, there is so much about TKR that no one else will ever understand unless they've gone through it. I'm so glad we can all be here for each other...in good times and in bad. :friends:

I hope you are having a better day today.

Hi Chris, I am having a better day. The point I am making is that that's how it goes. You know it of course, but its so easy to forget when the black dog is on us.

I have had so much physiotherapy in the last year. I am curious to know what it takes to become a qualified PT? Carol

Carol,
Glad you are having a better day, this is a roller coaster ride.
To become a PT in the US, requires a 4 year college degree, completion of all the pre requisites for the specific schools you want to attend, volunteer and work experience in PT, high scores on the graduate record exams (GRE), good references, and excellent grades. When accepted, the PT programs are 2 to 3 years with about 6 months of clinical experience, then you can sit for the exam, then meet the requirements for licensure in the state where you want to practice, pass a background check, approval by that state board, then you can practice in that state. If you move you can apply for reciprocity in other states.
Most programs in the US are DPT, Doctorate of Physical Therapy programs. This will set you back about $100,000 US.
To keep your license current most states require about 15 hours of clinical education every year. Our board reviews all the PT offices every couple of years, checking documentation, licensure etc.

Hope you are not falling asleep reading all of this,

I've been through this already, with my daughter getting her DPT years ago and the loans we'll be helping pay for years to come.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My husband and I were fortunate we were able to pay as you go, of course fees were much less then (1987-90). We were very fortunate to avoid student loans.

To become a PT in the US, requires a 4 year college degree,

Hi Chris, I am not falling asleep. On the contrary I find it interesting and encouraging that qualifying to be a PT is so rigorous.

It does however throw up an issue. Given their knowledge and experience why do so many PTs follow the mantra `no pain no gain'. If it were an isolated occurrence I could understand it better, but you only have to read the BS messages to see it is very common. If large numbers of drivers didn't stop when the lights turned red there would be an immediate investigation. Its odd to say the least. Carol

no pain no gain
I do not have an answer for you, I have never believed this to be true. The pain should be the effort and discpline you put in, not causing pain in your body.
The continuing ed class I listened to yesterday, de bunked this for MS patients, if you work MS patients to hard you can make them worse, and cause progression of the disease. Having individuals with MS exercise with breaks every 5 minutes, 5 reps, etc, then a rest, then 5 minutes longer or 5 more reps, and so on, will increase their endurance, strength, and mobility in the community over time. No pain no gain will worsen function, and outcomes.

The only thing we and fellow bonesmarties can do is say "NO" to aggressive PT.

My feeling is there are going to be big changes in PT in the future, with shorter courses of PT for many, and longer courses for persons with long term disability (MS as an example: some should have follow up 1 or 2x a year).
With that you can see a paradigm shift from 3x a week, to an as needed basis, to better meet the needs of patients.

Hope that helps?

Been a rough week, Mom is recovering from her fall, but she is still sore. I was so pleased that she was able to go out to her regular lunch date on Tuesday with her girlfriends and my brother (he drives). Sunday is my Aunts memorial service, and one of Mom's favorite caregivers will be going along, what a relief to know that she will have such good care.
The drive for Mom is is a little over an hour each way, she will be fine.
I would have a three hour drive each way, over a windy mtn road is too much for me. I am so disappointed to not be able to go to the services, but know it is best I stay home. Also Hubby will not drive me, sometimes he knows best. Mom understands, and in fact would scold me if I show up.
The last 10 years or more I have missed out on so many things because of my knee or my asthma, it just breaks my heart.

My knee is doing better with little impovements, I can walk a little with out any device. I was able to vote and go to Costco without upsetting my knee too much. My ROM is increasing with gentle heel slides, some days I am tighter, other days looser :shrug:, seems to depend on how much walking I do, and the time of day.
It is just easier over all to do little stuff around the house, like hang up the clothes I wear at the end of the day, small things, but I am doing them myself.

I worry my leg is crooked, looks that way, but as I walk better it seems to be happier. I will try to post a photo tomorrow.
I have so many walking habits to over come, the PT is working very well with me. I am very directive in what I want, so far she has given me excellent feed back with what to work on, and I come back next appt. with an improved gait pattern.:walking:
My eyelids are falling down, so good night for now:sleeep:,

I'm so sorry about your aunt and sorry you don't get to attend. But it is not a good idea to attempt, as you well know. Keep making progress as you have been and soon you'll get to participate more. I missed my PT today as it's too far for me to drive and walk, and I didn't want hubby to take more time off again, so I'll reschedule it later. I did go to the store a few blocks away with my daughter and I drove us there...it was nice to have that little bit of independence again. It's hard, I know, to have others do everything for us, but we need to recover before we try to do everything. Slow and steady wins the race.......I should look at my leg when walking and standing to see how it looks, I still limp quite a bit but can walk without the cane. I mostly use it to steady myself when I'm in a crowd or tired. . You're doing an amazing job-keep it up!

@Pumpkln I am glad you are not attempting to make that drive, but I also hear you wish you could be there. You have had quite a couple of weeks.
Sounds like your progress is slow but sure yea you! You are taking very good care of your knee.... My are they particular. :old:.
~~hopefaith

I know how you feel but I' m glad you are not making the journey, too far too soon. You don't want a set back in you recovery at this stage.

@lovetocookandsew @hopefaith @busylizzie , Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, means a lot to me to be supported in needing to stay home. I am used to being the one who can do everything (I can't and never really could). I will spend the time quietly.
You know how you can know someone all you life and you still learn new things, :heehee:. Yesterday we went for Ice Cream and they had one of my favorite items on the menu, a Black and White, Yummm. Called Mom and said we went out and I had my favorite ice cream, a Black and White, and what does she say, "That is my favorite Ice Cream Sundae", I never knew that, guess the apple really does not fall far from the tree.
Thanks again,

@Pumpkln , I was thinking that during the service while everyone is remembering your aunt, you could have a memorial service by yourself, and honor your aunt's life that way. Just remember, your knee will improve and you'll join the community once again, as will we all. Just don't eat too many of those sundaes...........:giggle:

Just got an e mail that made me feel young again for just a moment, my ski instructor buddies from the late 70's are planning a reunion at Lake Tahoe this winter. Sounds like fun, and hoping I can go. Several of us no longer ski so guess we will just have to hang out at the bar, (like I can still party hardy c 1970's, V8 anyone)
:cheers:
:friends:@lovetocookandsew , those sundae's are few and far between, good thing, I would be a blimp in no time.
I am planning to spend that time quietly, just like you suggested my own private memorial.
Thank you for your support it means a lot.

Lucky you.....Tahoe is one of my very favorite places and I go there many times each year. (Although all I drink is non-adult beverages such as tea......) I'm hoping I can ski in a year or two-maybe just the bunny hills but at least I'll be on skis. I've been craving Coldstone and was going to get some for my birthday, but haven't yet-probably a good thing...lol.

Now I need some ice cream. You are sounding great Pumpkln. I have been popping in and out trying to keep up!

Hey Pumpkin , just dropping by to see how you are doing. I see you are over 6 weeks since your revision. Week 6 is crucial as things start to feel normal for some . Time truly flies by. As Im fast approaching my 4th month. I really hope this revision is successful and that you make the reunion in winter. Not to mention , just to live life with a new bionic new. Its truly a miracle how arthritic pain vanished and one feels many years younger after a successful surgery. Heres hoping that one day soon , you get to experience the joy !!! Best wishes Iceman

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom