Lounge Doctor

Revision at 89 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudpro

graduate
Country
United States United States
My father had his right hip replaced back in 1990 with the old style polyethylene (soft insert), he is now 89.

The THR gave him some relief from pain and renewed mobility, but at a price; he threw a blood clot while still in recovery and suffered a minor stroke as a result. Scared the heck out of the family, and left him with some slight paralysis which he eventually neutralized through therapy. The experience also changed his personality (a story for another time).

[This experience significantly contributed to my fears leading up to my own surgery]

The hip began to go bad on him somewhere between 5 - 7 years post-op, and he has been suffering with it ever since. X-rays recently show the liner has all but dissolved or worn out and he is able to walk only with the aid of a walker.

He is otherwise in excellent health for a guy who is 89. Trim, strong, no significant illnesses (no diabetes, no sign of cancer, blood pressure is better than mine).

Ever since my surgery we have been talking about if he should get his redone. The OS says the same thing every OS says, "You can have one, but you should live with it until you think you are ready." He is afraid of dying on the table or that he won't live long enough afterwards to make all the hassle worthwhile.

Looking for experience and statistics for successful revisions in the elderly (80+).

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Mudpro....boy, this is a difficult situation for you and your Dad. It's going to be such a personal decision....

Is generally healthy otherwise? That might be a factor. The thing I think should NOT be a factor is the danger of dying on the table unless he has some other health risks. Things are so much different now than they were 20 years ago!

I'm not thinking you're going to find a lot of research on revisions after 20 years and at your Dad's age because I believe he is on the leading edge of that trend. I do thing we'll see much more of it as us boomers age and keep insisting that we are young enough for good joints!

God bless you and your Dad....hope you can work this out.

I'm sure Josephine will have some great comments when she comes back from vacation in a couple of days.

OP
OP
Mudpro

Mudpro

graduate
Country
I have no knowledge of late life hip replacement other than the surgery that Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother had at age 95. Of course she would have had the very best of care and attention for a good outcome.

I googled this news report for you...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/q...r-recovering-after-hip-operation-1582281.html
Thank you. That was a while ago, I hadn't heard about the Queen having the surgery. On this side of the pond, former President, George HW Bush (the elder Bush) also received a THR. News reports at the time say all went well, but watching him closely at public events well over a year after the surgery, I notice he is still using a cane and has significant mobility issues. He was 80 at the time of surgery.

One NZer

senior
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thank you. That was a while ago, I hadn't heard about the Queen having the surgery.
Mudpro, not The Queen, but her mother, same name different generation. Confusing eh ?
'Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother' is the title you should search under if you search for her. She died in 2001 at the age of 101 yrs.

I have a feeling that The Queen has had knee surgery, torn meniscus ligament.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
No reason at all he shouldn't have a revision. 90 is the new 70, y'know! Same as 70 is the new 50! (she says who is two years off that! :wink:)

I've scrubbed for hip replacements on people of 99 years old more than once and they did just fine! If the patient is active and fit, why not? They have as much right to a pain free existence as us 'young'ns'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Coach Mike
Recent bookmarks