Revision TKR Revision again

How are you doing? :console2:

@patsortho Haven't heard from you in awhile. Just wanted to check in to see how you are doing.

Hello everyone ,

last few weeks have been horrible .Knee just don’t want to bend . I’m -15 extension. I see os next week and Pt is recommending a mua

I will say I thought pain was getting better with pain meds so I had them lower it . Ever since then rom hasn’t improved got worse

:console2:
Your knee has been through so much. It’s only been 7 weeks since the latest onslaught to it. Give it time. Recovery takes an average of 52. It’s way too early to have an MUA. Give it more time.

What are they doing in PT? Are they pushing on your leg? If so, that’s not good for it, it will only make it swell worse.

Os said he will probably do mua . Thing is I was -4 then bam it like regressednl or something . I haven’t gotten bend over 85. Pt does massage, stim , treadmill , bike and exercises. When I got off oxy I felt ok and leg was almost straight . I felt I can lower to Percocet ( pain still bad) but ever since then rom decreased . I see os Tuesday so we will see what he says. I have psoriasis that is making me get more scar tissue . It’s a big challenge ugh!

I felt I can lower to Percocet ( pain still bad) but ever since then rom decreased .
This says it all. You deceased your pain medication and now have more pain and less ROM. Please go back to your prescribed dose, ice and rest that poor knee. It does not need MUA - just time and rest.

Thing is I was -4 then bam it like regressednl or something
Your pain and swelling are increased, that reduces ROM.

treadmill , bike and exercises.
This is way too much activity for your particular knee.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

This is what @TortiTabby experienced:
Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance:[

@eaglemom has had a tough time with a lot of procedures. She had backed way off of formal PT and is “allowing her knee the privilege of sorting itself out.” That quote is from Josephine and is my favorite.

Please don't schedule a MUA. It's much too soon for that. Your poor knee needs to be left alone to heal and not to be doing exercises, keeping it inflamed, swollen and painful. Just do your daily activities, that is all it needs. Don't be talked into anything by scare tactics. All your knee needs is time. That's all. It has never had a chance to heal.

I agree about not rushing into the MUA. And I totally support your plan to back off that PT schedule you've been on. I think if you can just do gentle bends and stretches and some walking along with lots of ice and elevation for several weeks, you'll see things improve. Then, when that happens, it will let you know the more gentle approach is what your body needs.

You can take charge of your recovery. There are many opinions about how to do this recovery, between surgeons and between PTs, which means there isn’t only one way to do it.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Just giving an update : I can walk ! Finally right lol . -2/90. They said bend won’t get any better but I’m functional. Still in pain management unfortunately still in some pain but it’s getting better

They said bend won’t get any better but I’m functional.
If you have done any reading on this board you will know that this is simply not true. You will continue to increase ROM for quite awhile. Taking the gentle approach works. Do give it a try.

I’m so glad to hear you are doing better!! Jaycey is right, there’s no guarantee that the bend you have now is all you will get. My bend improved in my second, and, in my third year post op. Try not to think about it and just use your knee as you are able.

What good news to have a functional knee! I agree with the others that your bend will improve as time goes on. It happens when you aren't even thinking about it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back