Revision TKR Revision again

@patsortho Hello. Even though your situation is a little more involved then mind, it also sounds a lil similar. I think the issue is we both had the initial replacement and revision almost back to back. Two Dr's stressed to me that they try to avoid revisions because they are harder then the first and take longer to recover. One Dr even told me the next replacment is going be real major surgery due to the complexity. And I also had an MUA and I think it was due to having so much done on the same knee. And my knee isn't straight either, I am still about -3 with a slight bend in the knee.

Overall I wanted you to know it seems to be getting better but at a SLOW rate. I know it's hard to wait but it will come. :) Good Luck with the MUA.

Hoping/praying all goes well for you today and the days following... Good to hear from you.

. I’m not hitting 90 like os wants . And knee isn’t straight .

It hasn’t been very long since your knee’s most recent “assault”, it will probably take you longer than others for it to sort itself out, considering all its been through.

One of the things I’ve learned here on Bonesmart is that many surgeons are impatient with our progress and then interfere too much in our recovery, when what a lot of knees just need is rest and time.

Yes, we need to regain our mobility, and we will if we treat it gently, with gentle movements (ADLs) and give it the time it needs.

Please be very careful with any PT. If it was me, I wouldn’t allow any PT to touch my leg, just have them explain to me what they want me to do. I know I will absolutely never allow anyone to force bend my knee again. Been there, done that, and I let it go on too long.

I am praying that both you and your medical team will make good, reasonable decisions and that you finally get a good outcome.
:console2:

I got very bad muscle pain where nerve block was . I can’t even walk

Be sure and ice and elevate. That muscle pain should go away. In the meantime, rest as much as you can!

I’m getting there slowly got 102 in Pt yesterday. We are struggling with extension I’m -13 . Any tips

The basics for extension are pretty much what this BS thread I bookmarked, Extension and Flexion, says--I've done a lot of looking online and haven't found much else. There are, of course, variations. One thing I did a lot of, in addition to what I call "the knee hang," above, is stretching my leg as flat as I could get it--in bed, in my recliner, etc. Stretch and hold for a few seconds. Do it again, whenever you think of it. And again. Basically, it's like trying to push your knee down just a little farther than it likes to go when at rest. The other thing I did when sitting and watching TV was to stretch my leg up as high and straight as I could and hold it, again for a few seconds, sometimes looping a towel under my foot to help with that. Seemed to help with keeping my knee flexible. A lot of people swear by the "lengthening one's stride when walking" method. I did that, too.

Walking is great for extension. The knee is built for walking, so the motions of walking stretch and strengthen all of the muscles of the knee. It's a slow and gentle way to work the knee.

I also did what Polkadot did: use my own muscles to push the back of the knee down toward my ottoman, or while in bed toward the mattress. Even if the knee never gets all the way down at first, you are stretching those big touch hamstring tendons. It works really well, just don't push down too hard. Only to discomfort, never sharp pain.

Walking is great for extention, but early on when I couldn’t walk a lot it helped to let my leg bridge between the chair I was sitting on and the ottoman. My heel would sit on the ottoman. I did this a few times a day, mostly because it felt good.

I’m glad you’re taking it slow. It took me about 3 months to get to 109 and I continued to gain after that.

Congratulations on your progress. All the trauma you've been thru will add to your recovery time so don't get discouraged.

I had a heck of a time with extension. Stretching my quads multiple times per day & putting a small pillow under my ankle while elevated got me back to zero. It took about 6 months to get the final 2-3 ° of improvement. Don't think I can go beyond zero.

Now I squat and kneel a few times per week to keep it all stretched.

Last edited:
I’m turning a leaf! Pt -8 started -14 . It’s finally happening. I put 9 pound weights over knee at Pt

Please be careful with using weights, you may end up with an angry knee. Slow and easy is much better in my opinion.

@patsortho I have followed and read (up to date) your thread on the challenges and struggles you have faced with your knee. I am truly sorry that you have had to endure so much; I thought I have had a bad time with my left knee surgery (plus MUAs and revision) until I read your thread. I see your revision was set for 12/13/2017 (two days before I had my RTKR); I was over the moon to hear via your sister that all went well. Then to read that you were still in pain, only to discover that a piece of your drain broke when it was removed? Gosh! What haven’t you been through? Sounds like you’ve been to hell and back. But in all of this, you have persevered. You are such an inspiration and a hero! God surely has you covered. Do hang in there – you’ve been through the worst and the best is surely on its way. Praying without ceasing for you ….

Update: still doing bad knee regressed a little we don’t know why. I’m currently-16/90 I don’t know what to do anymore

What are your doctors saying, Pat? I'm sorry to hear you're not doing better at this point after such a promising new start. You've been through so much!

I was hoping you were doing well since we hadn't heard from you in a while. I hope you will find a solution.

I had to go back home to Florida . He wants me to keep doing Pt. He said I had a very complicated revision. He said at last visit I developed patella Baja so guess that’s why my knee won’t bend. Implant is good and no signs of infection which I’m happy about. I’m still in a great deal of pain. I am using a cane now.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back