Revision TKR Revision is scheduled

DEL2021Feb-17

senior
Alright it's official Revision #7 is scheduled for Dec.13th. I hope this will be it counting this surgery I will be at 19 do not want anymore enough is enough.

If there is one thing about my upcoming surgery that scares me it would be getting an infection. I had one after my 4th revision and the thought of going thru that again is bugging me. I am well aware the risk is relatively minor but in comparison to someone who has never had an infection a lot greater. Not worried about my surgeon or in my case surgeons but there is always that chance. The chance maybe small but it is a fear. Now as far as the rest of it yes its going to be painful, lack of sleep, trying to get comfortable, getting ROM back ( my ROM even with 6 replacements is 132 last time checked ), PT at home and then outpatient, etc that does not bother me just the chance of infection does.

Why have you needed so many revisions? Do they keep loosening, getting infected, or????? Just wondering. Best wishes on the 13th-hoping this one's the charm and you never need another!

I really wish I could answer the reason why I have no idea? The reason for the 3rd rev. too big of a space between the joint the 4th was due to increasing amount of pain and swelling ( in hindsight was probably a sign that infection was developing ) 2 weeks after the 4th developed full blown infection back in hospital had replacement removed and cleaned also had a PICC line in arm ( no fun ) approx 3 months later still had an infection back to the hospital and had a spacer put in for 4 months finally rev#5 after a year or so pain was not going away in fact going the other way went to different surgeon did a bone scan knee was glowing also did an xray found out the prosthetic was put in wrong you would never know if you only looked at my left knee but both together right and left the left was off about an inch compared to right I was sent to see current surgeon he said not a problem since he deals with tumor patients. The reason for this next one I have noticed my knee cap is fairly loose compared to the right 2 weeks ago I dislocated my knee and had to got to ER. Went back to surgeon he said the prosthetic part that goes over tibia area has worn out and needs to be fixed. Found out yesterday they do not have to replace the entire prosthetic on the tibia side the flat piece of plastic gets replaced on the femur side that has to come out and a new one put in. This is new prosthetic I am getting:

:yikes: You've certainly been through it. I am sending my best wishes and prayers that you have an event-less surgery and recovery this time around, and that this fixes the problem once and for all.

This may seem I am being pessimistic but considering this will make a total of 19 surgeries on this left knee going by the history since 2003 odds are not in my favor. Whats even dumber is at the very start I had a torn meniscus. Do not get me wrong I sure as hell hope this is it but even if it is I know I am still going to have a pain in this knee due to all the surgeries. All I am hoping for is to get my pain level down to a 4 and I would be happy. Now I am averaging without doing anything a 5 plus add some walking keep it bent too long etc it climbs up to a very steady 6. Like I wrote a 4 would be great but time will tell.

Keeping you in my thoughts! I'm wishing you the best outcome and a successful recovery. Hang in there!

I'm going for my first revision. I need a larger spacer and they will try to put a button on my kneecap. They did not do it initially because it is too small and they did not want to risk it but now they think they should try because I'm in pain. My surgery is not until March.

You've really had a rough time! I'm so sorry. I do hope this one works out better.

The countdown has started!! not counting today 5. What a day to have a surgery Friday the 13th !! Plus its right before Christmas even better I can hardly wait constant pain being on crutches ( forearm ) knee nice and swollen it will be great.

Nervous for no real reason since I have been thru this before way too many times. Last night I had a nightmare of sorts I was dreaming I came down with an infection!! Nothing like being confident not. Friday is getting closer. Really wish the surgery was last week knee is not feeling all that great just getting up and walking is no fun.

I rcv'd a call from the hospital yesterday and I have to be there at 1130am which means surgery should be between 1230 and 130. Getting much closer biggest issue now my knee has not been doing all that well. Pretty soon!!

@Jamie OK I have been thru this too many times and I know what to expect and I am ok with it. Now the problem the " what ifs?? ". A good example yesterday I was second guessing the procedure, I was thinking they replace the femur part and replace the plastic on the tibia wouldn't it make sense to replace the whole thing? The reason for this what if the tibia part goes bad then another surgery I am ever so done with surgeries every 2 years. Looking at it the Dr. is not going to replace something that isn't bad and there is no reason for me to 2nd guess. Sorry for the rambling just stressed.

My friend.....you have every reason to be stressed. I understand. You just need to do whatever it takes to get through today. Tomorrow will take care of itself and then hopefully you'll have that stable knee that you've needed.

You're right that the surgeon will likely not replace components that are solid and in great shape. That would make no sense. These knee parts are made to work together and be interchangeable, so the new femur stem will work just fine with what you have in place. But you can be sure your great surgeon will be looking at everything carefully once he's in your knee. Believe me, he doesn't want any problems either! You picked a good surgeon and you have to trust.

I know you are aware of all this and it's just the nerves getting to you a bit. I hope you can find things to take your mind off the surgery today. Do whatever it takes to get you to tomorrow.

@Jamie Your right just nerves driving me nuts. Like I wrote I know what to expect once I get to the hospital what to expect after surgery is over, hope I will not have to worry about PT once in the room. Saturday pain is going to set in but hopefully I will be taken care of with decent meds. The recovery is going to take lots of time and it will hurt. Just wish this was my first not the 7th then it would all be new.

Each surgery is it's own thing. I'm going to hope this one proves to be less painful for you. There are a couple of factors working in your favor. Only part of the knee should be involved, so that may result in less discomfort afterwards. And it's a different surgeon. He may have better techniques that result in less post-op pain. These are real possibilities, so try to keep positive that things will go this way. Hang in there and I'll be sending you positive brainwaves!

@Jamie Actually this is the same surgeon that did #6 and yes he is a very good surgeon. My mother has a neighbor who is a neurosurgeon while he does not personally know Dr. Foster he knows another surgeon who speaks very highly of him. Do not have the name but Dr. Foster and another surgeon in DC wrote a paper concerning what they do. The only difference this time since Dr. Foster retires end of month Another Dr. will be assisting him Dr. Jeremy Ross who was also trained by Dr. Foster. Regardless I do not think I could be in better hands!! As far as the pain goes only makes sense its not going to hurt as bad but that does not mean its going to feel great either!! In a way I am glad they are not going to mess with the tibia, the reason why as many times as I have had revisions there can only be but so much bone left and I already know the current prosthetic is fairly long. Without being negative and yes there are some positives I agree but lets face facts as many times this knee has been operated on odds are pretty darn good it is going to hurt ( no doubt in my mind ) it is also going to take time to heal and granted it could be a whole lot worse with an even longer heal time. My guess if I have to be at hospital at 1130am my surgery could start possibly 1 or 130pm time in OR 1.5 to 2 hours. Tomorrow is just going to be fun!!

If you find yourself at all anxious when you get to the hospital, ask your nurse to get you something to calm you down. You're on the home stretch now.....

Is there somewhere on here where you list all 7 and what happened? You need a buy one get one deal at this point!
Best of luck. You don’t deserve such misery

Only a little over 4 hours and I will be on the way to hospital. Slept very little last night but really so what I will be put to sleep later anyway. At least the wait is almost over. Now the only concern will this be the LAST revision??

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks