Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

OOh - can you use a larger font please? It's almost too small to read.
That looks like about a 2 - for reference, I'm using a 5.

Yes, much, your first post gave me eye strain, even after my cataract surgery when I had 20/20 vision!! I hope that things are moving along for you and soon your nice, readable posts will be filled with good news.

Welcome, How is your recovery been for you so far? Since you just had the surgery, you can expect some initial post op therapy in the hospital. make sure they have your pain under control. Don't try to tough it out.

Trying to write while loopy is really interesting. So far, so good. Was up an hour or so after surgery and did a couple of short PT/OT sessions today. PT said my extension was good.

OS thinks I might be ready for rehab center on Wednesday. I'd be really surprised if it's Wednesday but it not really up to me. He doesn't believe in the thigh-high TEDS so I in a pair of the knee high ones. He also doesn't believe in aggressive PT. discomfort okay; pain not.

Pain levels are still high: 7/8.

More later.

R TKA June 8 2015

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you checked in! Wishing you a great recovery. Hope they get those pain levels in check!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Glad to see you are on the other side. Sounds like you need better pain control, let the nurses know so they can have the OS adjust your meds.
Here is the post op reading for you, the articles are short and will not take long to read.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

@celynda

I'm glad to read that you are progressing well and that your surgeon does not recommend aggressive PT.

When you can, please will you add your surgery and its date to your signature, so that we don't have to keep going back to your early threads, to see what and when. "TKR 8 June 2015" would be good. here's how to do it:

How to create a signature

If you're using a phone while you're in hospital, that may not work. If that's the case, let us know and we might be able to do it for you.

Also, please can you use a larger font? Your last post reverted to the very small font.

Glad to see you are on the other side. Im about a week ahead of you. Good luck with your recovery.

@Celle,

I am using a phone so if you fix my signature, this would be great.

Also, Is it possible to change the font size once or do I need to do it for every post.
@Celle,

I am using a phone so if you fix my signature, this would be great.

Also, Is it possible to change the font size once or do I need to do it for every post.

The nerve block wore off yesterday afternoon so pain spiked. Needed a diladan shot. PA will change peracet dosing to every hours. They're trying send me to Rehab this afternoon. Part of me says leaving earlier lets me get settled sooner. OTOH, staying in hospital until pain is controlled makes since too

Could some fix my tag, please? I had a full knee replacement not a partial.

I'm okay with going to rehab today; getting into regular comfy clothes and maybe even taking a shower.

PT at hospital very gentle. A loop around the PT room and the standard exercises: ankle pumps, heel slides and knee extensions. 10 each per hour. No measurements.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. :thumb:

Hope you're all settled into the rehab facility and that pain levels have decreased!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Finally made it to rehab. I think I can during dinner and just caused chaos in their schedule. They showed to my room, brought me some cereal and basically left me alone for two hours. Their med paperwork doesn't match mine. Been waiting for over 30 minutes for meds. And this is after I said wanted them on a schedule.

Got a little weepy as well so not proud of myself. Am thinking about going home. At least I could take the meds on my schedule.

Question/advice; OS orders knee high Teds for 6 weeks. I wore them 24:7 while in hospital. Rehab takes them off at night. Should I care?

Thanks

If your OS wants you to wear the TEDs, insist on wearing them.

The jury is out as to whether of not TEDS really do much to prevent blood clots but if wearing them is part of your surgeon's protocol, his instructions should be honoured.

Frankly, I can never understand the reason for removing them at night - at the time when you are least active.

Do they put the motorized compression cuffs on you at night? My rehab did, which is why they took off the stockings. Set your phone for a half hour before you need your meds, push the call button then to ask. I did have an issue getting on a med schedule after being moved to rehab. They took me to PT before giving me my meds, so I refused to participate until they gave them to me. Next thing I know, a nurse is running, yes running down the hall to PT with my meds. It's your knee, your recovery, let them know you're in charge. After that experience everyone was great and I loved my rehab!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie