Knee Infection* Revision #3 Journey

Now the waiting begins: on two fronts. 1) the aspiration results 2) news about getting an appointment at Hospital for Special Surgery.

Hang in there. The waiting is sometimes the most difficult part. Don't hesitate to come here and vent a little if needed. We're here for you.

One week down, one to go on the aspiration results. The pain is unchanged but controlled with Tylenol and Lortab.

I’m waiting to hear about the appointment at HSS. They have one clinic In December and it’ll be either the 6th or the13th. It will be late October or first of November before I know if a surgeon will accept me even though my BMI is 49. I am working on eating less to see if I can get it down.

@Jamie, I am a planner and worry-wart. If there’s an infection, I’m looking at probably having a clean out surgery followed by 6 weeks of IV antibiotics and then a second surgery. What I’d like to know and maybe hear from others is how they handled the six weeks. I live alone in a one story house with no stairs and have four dogs. I have no family near by.

How helpless will I be during this period? Should I hire help? Plan to spend the six weeks in a SNF? If I have SX at the HSS, should I think about spending the six weeks in New York to avoid the back and forth travel from NYC to West Virginia? So many questions. Should I post them here or in the Post-Op thread?

Thanks!

Should I post them here or in the Post-Op thread?
You might get better answers in a pre op thread, with a specific title.

I would have all those same questions!

Jockette is right....this would be a good time to use the pre-op forum as you can have multiple threads there to ask very specific questions if you want to. Or you can just have a "general" question thread and post everything in one place....your choice. Don't worry about hearing from people who might have had the same situation. Our post-op BoneSmarties are pretty good at going back to the pre-op forum to help others who haven't had surgery yet.

Should you need antibiotic infusion therapy for an infection and a cleanout, you should be okay at home. You could look into home health, if needed. But you shouldn't need a skilled nursing facility. More than likely you would be able to get any treatments locally for whatever period is needed. If HSS accepts you, you might need a week or two there after any cleanout surgery to get strong enough to travel. If at all possible, it would be good to have someone with you while you are in New York. HSS deals with out of state patients all the time, so they will have resources and advice to help you. Obviously, if you need to be gone for any length of time, you'll have to find a sitter or kennel for your dogs.

26 October Update...
According to the lab report, there was no infection in the aspirated fluid*. Which is good (I guess) and bad (no answers).
Good News, though: Dr Mark Figgie at HSS accepted my case and I have appointments there on December 20. In addition to seeing Dr Figgie, they are doing a lot of tests: blood work, x-rays, CT, MRI, and an XR EOS Hip to Ankle AP Bilateral radiology exam. They're also doing an ultrasound guided *aspiration as the initial one from my local OS didn't look for the right stuff (???).

Q1: Has anyone seen Dr Figgie?
Q2: Is anyone familiar with the EOS radiology exam? Since it's bilateral, it will be very interesting to see how my left knee looks considering it is bone on bone.

I've made travel plans which may change depending on how late I'll be at the clinic. I am very glad to have this organized even though it'll be January before all the test results are in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone familiar with the EOS radiology exam?
My husband had this X-ray done, they were looking at his spine. It only took a few minutes. He stood in a booth like a shower stall, and he had his arms up. it was interesting to see the picture. Not all hospitals have this X-ray machine, we had to go to a hospital downtown Philadelphia.

April 4 Update…

I’m scheduled for a 2nd Revision at HSS in NYC with Dr Brian Chalmers. My Stryker implant is going to be replaced with a Stryker Hinged implant. Let the fun begin.

Although I don't know personally of Dr. Chalmers, I think you are in good hands. The hinged implant has worked well for many of our members and I hope it's the same for you.

Admin- please change thread title to Revision #2 Journey

Checking into HSS at 0800 tomorrow. Will update when I can.

Thread title updated, wishing you all the best tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing your update when you are able.
:flwrysmile:

All the best to you. I’ll look forward to your next posts.

In recovery until 0300. So far, very impressed with HSS. Haven’t seen Os, update:

Doc said the surgery went well and the results are good. The lower leg bone was securely attached to the device, so they took their time separating them which took a little longer. All is good though.
The femur had some lower bone damage and so they remove that and secured the new device to good healthy bone. They included an additional mechanical piece to compensate. All good there also.
You should be in the hospital for a few days, so maybe through Sunday to ensue the healing begins correctly. Then a couple weeks in a NY recovery and rehabilitation center prior to returning home.
Said the physical therapy is important to be done and to observe the weight bearing limits as allowed, but to do the weight bearing as it increases.

9p update;: good drugs. Pain across know not 100% controlled. Muscle Relaxer making me woozy.

More tomorrow.

Sounds like a a great start to your recovery. Get as much rest as you can for healing. Be sure to ask for ice on your knee if you have pain. It does help. Not all hospitals use it, but I hope the HSS does.

No ice. Will ask. Because of complicated revision and blood loss (500), in Recovery room until 0300.

Started aspirin and senakote. Also had graham crackers and jello.

Although I don't know personally of Dr. Chalmers, I think you are in good hands.
I really like him. The implant should last 10 years so he’ll still be around when/if it needs to be replaced ( infection, break, or loosening. :hugzz:

Best wishes!

Glad you are on your way to recovery, slow but sure.
Here is a copy of the recovery guidelines, so you won't have to go looking for the guidelines.

The articles are short and will not take long to read.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom