Reverse Shoulder Replacement Reverse shoulder replacement pending

Patee

Country
Canada Canada
Just got my surgery date for a left reverse shoulder replacement. It is on May 2, 2022.
I recently found this site with it’s wealth of information.
I have had ongoing problems with this shoulder starting probably 10 years ago with a fall and rotator cuff tears. I did see the surgeon and he indicated rotator repair surgery but said I could wait until it was worse. Having had 2 repair on my right shoulder and knowing the pain involved I was in no rush. I waited about 5 years but too long as he said it couldn’t be repaired. A year ago the pain was excruciating so back to the surgeon where he indicated the reverse surgery was my only option. Fast forward to now and the pain is minimal so I really hesitated to go ahead. I do have issues with it though so decided to go ahead. I am hoping that I am making the right decision.

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Patee Welcome to BoneSmart!

You have indeed made the right decision. Get that shoulder replaced before more damage is done. We have some very happy members in this shoulder forum who saw or are seeing great results post op.

I look forward to following your journey.

Hopeful Manch

Country
I too have had two repairs on my dominant shoulder and now the tendon is in no state to be repaired hence a new shoulder I am worried about movement, I have just looked at the book recommended and seen some stats not great just after surgery but better 1 to 2 years after . We ! You and I would probably like information on everything to do with movement, pain what we can and Carn’t Do . I look forward to all replies . Take care
Hopeful Manch

Jaycey

Administrator
Country
None of us can predict how you will react to surgery. But if you look at the shoulder post op forum, you will see many members happy with their results. The key is to stick to the prescribed PT and don't try and push the recovery. Your should is in charge now.

OP
OP
P

Patee

Country
Canada Canada
Surgery is now 3 weeks away. (Admin, I had a typo on my original post, date is actually May 12, 2022.)
Having had 2 rotator cuff repairs I think I have insight on what is ahead, but this time it is my dominant arm. I think that is going to make it a little more difficult.
Fortunately I do have great caregiver, my hubby, but hoping to manage as much as I can for my personal care.
I have purchased a cold therapy machine.
I am hoping to be able to prop myself up enough in bed to sleep as my recliner doesn’t recline enough to make sleeping on y back comfortable. Any tips for that?
I am planning on doing a few freezer meals to make it a bit easier on hubby.
Anything else I should be thinking of?

beachy

supremo
Country
United States United States
My new shoulder is 1 week old today. Its been an easy recovery for me, but I didn't have a rotator problem and had a regular replacement as opposed to reverse. I did have a ginormous bone spur that was removed.

Use that cold therapy machine all the time! Ice is your friend. Just make sure it's not touching your bare skin. Always have a dish towel or something over your shoulder/arm.
Test the machine now to make sure it operates properly. Don't wait til post surgery in case there's a problem.
I slept with mine all nite.
Freeze bottles of water instead of ice. You can't make or buy enough ice to keep that thing going. Frozen water bottles last longer, too.

Get elastic waist pants in a larger size and button down shirts or pjs. Getting dressed can be comical. I could have started my own YouTube channel with some of the getting dressed situations

The recovery is prob not that much different (or maybe easier) than rotator cuff repair.

OP
OP
P

Patee

Country
Canada Canada
Beachy,
Thanks for your response. Good idea, I will check out the machine in the next couple of days. A good idea to freeze some water bottles. I have 2 ice makers pumping out ice so trying to stockpile as well.

Not sure how I will handle the dressing problem. Lost a lot of weight over the last year and gave away all my clothes. Hate to go buy bigger ones. LOL

My surgery has been on again, off again due to an underlying issue they need to investigate. They decided to go ahead and will just monitor me closely. So now I am getting to the point of dreading the recovery but feeling a little more positive with your remarks. I have had many (16) surgeries and have always said the rotator cuff repair was the most painful.

I am looking forward to you U tube video. LOL

Hopeful Manch

Country
Just got my surgery date for a left reverse shoulder replacement. It is on May 2, 2022.
I recently found this site with it’s wealth of information.
I have had ongoing problems with this shoulder starting probably 10 years ago with a fall and rotator cuff tears. I did see the surgeon and he indicated rotator repair surgery but said I could wait until it was worse. Having had 2 repair on my right shoulder and knowing the pain involved I was in no rush. I waited about 5 years but too long as he said it couldn’t be repaired. A year ago the pain was excruciating so back to the surgeon where he indicated the reverse surgery was my only option. Fast forward to now and the pain is minimal so I really hesitated to go ahead. I do have issues with it though so decided to go ahead. I am hoping that I am making the right decision.
Hi Patee , my journey isn’t quite as long as yours , only 2/3 years with a big torn tendon repair which went ok until a slip on my stairs when I put my arm out to stop me sliding all the way down my stairs , my op Ruined so phisio that didn’t work that was 12 months then 6 months wait then 2 ops cancelled and finally another op planned for the 9th of August, I’ve had pain all of the time but somehow some times you feel it’s not that bad because you get used to Pain very strange but then when you reach forward to pick something up WOW excruciating pain that seems to go through your whole body . Now I’m really looking forward to my operation, hopefully it goes ahead . 3rd time lucky.
Take care Patee

OP
OP
P

Patee

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Hopeful Manch,
Wishing you every success with your upcoming surgery. I only hope yours goes as well as mine did. I am at the 2 1/2 month mark and pleased with how it has gone. I was lucky and had less pain than I anticipated it would be. I still don’t have full range of motion but it is a work in progress. I saw the surgeon yesterday and he gave me the green light. I don’t have to see him anymore. He said I am good to go and progressed well.
Good luck and keep us posted.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Catmommy