Reverse Shoulder Replacement Reverse shoulder replacement decision

profuel

Country
United States United States
To start I’ve had 2 failed rotator cuff surgeries. Both now have ended with the cuffs tearing off the humerus. One surgery was in May 2016, the second October 2016. I can use my arm but cannot lift it overhead. It is frustrating trying to be normal in this condition. It is even hard to enjoy riding my snowmobile since but I have done it.

I went yesterday for another surgeon's opinion as the surgeon who did the prior surgeries has no other options for me. He says I’m too young for a reverse shoulder replacement. I love to work on cars, love fishing, and snow-mobiling. The new surgeon from Rush Orthopedics in Chicago said, there are no cuffs left to work with. The x-ray showed my shoulder is up too high and not being held in place.

There isn’t much pain but it burns.

The only option for me at this time would be a reverse shoulder replacement. I’ve had trouble finding anyone who has had this surgery and if they are happy with the outcome.

I’m scared to death to even do the surgery. That is because my father had 2 failed knee replacements from infections. No diabetes and eventually had his leg amputated above the knee.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction?

I’ve already sat on the couch in a sling twice in 2016 for 12 weeks total. The thought of going through it again makes me sick. I love the outdoors and am not ready to give up having fun. I’m 59 years old.

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! I sympathize with your situation. Shoulders are the very devil when they go wrong!
The new surgeon from Rush Orthopedics in Chicago said, there are no cuffs left to work with. The x-ray showed my shoulder is up too high and not being held in place.
Well that would be a problem for sure!
The only option for me at this time would be a reverse shoulder replacement.
Who has told you this? It puzzles the heck out of me as there are many shoulder joints on the market.
He says I’m too young for a reverse shoulder replacement
I find this even more puzzling than the first point. I know of many on their 40s and 50s who have had them done and had pretty good outcomes.
I’m scared to death to even do the surgery. That is because my father had 2 failed knee replacements from infections. No diabetes and eventually had his leg amputated above the knee.
Oh bless you! I can quite understand how that would scare you. But when was this - what year? And where was he treated?

1st surgery was May 2016, 2nd October 2016.
Now Wednesday went to new doctor and found that shoulder is trashed.

Surgery for reverse shoulder replacement scheduled for April 24, 2018.

@profuel ,
Happy to hear you have your reverse shoulder replacement scheduled, and will be able to move forward with your life. Sending you positive thoughts.

Pro fuel, I had a reverse shoulder replacement 5/22/19 due to a fall. I had fractures of the proximal humerus and complete tear of my rotator cuff. Recovery has not been easy. I am 8 months post op and had a follow up visit to my surgeon last week. My deltoid is the only functional muscle in my upper arm now and it is so uncomfortable to do much since most movement makes my shoulder and back ache. I can raise my arm 100 degrees but most movement causes discomfort. The surgeon said I needed to give it through this summer. He had no other advice except to keep it warm. As of now I do not attempt to use my arm for anything significant. I was very active before this. The surgeon did put me on a 5 lb weight limit for my left arm. I am not pleased with my progress.
So how did your surgery go, and how active are you now?

@Youngnana..... it's been about a year since profuel was on BoneSmart, so it's possible she won't see your comments. It might help to use a tag in your post. Many times a member will indicate in their account preferences that they want notification via email for any tags. Then even if they hadn't been online in a while, they'd see that someone posted to them.

To tag someone you type the "at" sign (@) followed by their username with no space .... like this ... @Jamie You'll know the tag works when you publish the post and the tag turns blue.

I'll tag @profuel for you this time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks