Reverse Shoulder Replacement Reverse Shoulder replacement after a standard failed

Fittwinn

Country
United States United States
Hello! About 2 years ago ( it will be 2 years on Sept 13 ) I had a standard total shoulder replacement. The doctor did not discuss with me the possibility of needing or the option of a reverse shoulder replacement other than to say "you're too young for a reverse shoulder replacement." I was 56 then. Well, at the time of surgery, my supraspinatus rotator cuff was not functioning well and has only deteriorated since I got the Standard replacement. My Physical therapist kept commenting that the lack of range of motion and weakness post surgery seemed to be from my rotator cuff. I have had ongoing weakness ( can't even hardly hold a 2lb dumbbell ) and lack of range of motion.. and since last November, right side neck issues. A side note, I am a fitness professional, teach classes, train clients, manage a center and do everything I"m told to do with regards to healing! I understand the necessity of consistent and precise PT and also realize the issue of overdoing things! I went to the first surgeon numerous times post op, complaining of the lack of ROM, stiffness and weakness and he kept saying it'd get better etc. My PT even wrote a note to him about what she was seeing in my sessions and her concerns, but never an explanation from the surgeon of what he thought was going on. I sought a second opinion from a doctor who's outcomes post surgery have been noted by this big Physical therapy group I see and respect. And this doctor's first statement was " you are too young to have such lack of ROM , weakness and now neck strain".. your option is a Reverse Shoulder replacement". He looked at PRE- surgery MRIs and Xrays and noted that the Reverse Shoulder replacement should've been the FIRST option. I was and am ecstatic that there is a remedy, but very sad that the original surgeon didn't make the right decision 2 years ago... or at least have given my the option. Has anyone had a Standard and then had to have the Reverse? Thank you for any feedback!

@Fittwinn So sorry you are facing another shoulder surgery. We have members who have had reverse shoulder replacement but I don't think anyone who has had this revision of a standard TSR. I'll be interested in following your journey.

The good news is that it sounds like you have the right surgeon in your corner.

Our Emeritus Moderator Celle had reverse shoulder replacement. Her recovery thread might give you some tips.

Thank you! I've read a few different threads on the Rerverse TS and am developing a list of questions for the surgeon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom