Reverse Shoulder Replacement Reverse replacement with other medical conditions

sb44

Country
United States United States
My husband has a shoulder that hurts all the time with significant arthritis, bone on bone thickened rotator cuff etc. Surgeon who only does shoulders and has excellent reputation has recommended reverse replacement. After a stroke last March he has no physical impairment but cognitive impairment so the decision is up to me. He wants the replacement but I'm not sure he fully understands that it is not guaranteed. He has had both knees and a hip replaced previously so he is no stranger to rehab. He is 80 but still works out and until the shoulder played golf. I am worried because of a heart condition and the stroke history but also worried that if it is not done he will lose ability to be physically active. He is on blood thinners that will need to be stopped. If anyone with complex conditions has had a replacement I'd certainly appreciate feedback including encouragement or an opinion to not take the chance. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BoneSmart!

Given your husband's medical conditions I would discuss the procedure and any risks with the doctors who are currently treating him following his stroke. They are really the only people who can accurately advise you. The surgeon may indeed recommend surgery. But they would need to get the approval of any other physicians treating your husband.

@sb44 In addition to what Jaycey told you you and your husband need to understand that recuperating from shoulder replacement surgery can be a lengthy process - up to 6 months or longer. For the first few weeks he will have that arm in a sling probably with a thick bolster holding the shoulder at a particular angle. While those are not uncomfortable to wear, they can be awkward and do restrict many normal arm motions. And your husband will need physical therapy to get the shoulder fully functional. If the shoulder to be replaced is on his dominant side he is going to need lots of help doing many usual activities!

Will you be able to have some extra assistance at home? You mentioned he has some cognitive impairment -- do you think he will be able to follow all of the surgeon's instructions, be patient enough to do all the PT exercises, and understand any/all limitations on his activities during the recuperation time?

I don't mean to discourage you or him ... just trying to give you a realistic picture of what the after surgery time is like.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom