Returning to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwoman

I had a LTHR two weeks ago and my surgeon said I will be off work for at least 2 to 3 months. I work in an office, mainly sitting at a desk all day. I would just be interested to know if this is the usual amount of time to be off. When I told my boss how long I would be off she wasn't too happy but I can't imaging being able to go back any sooner.

Hi Cat-- I had BTHR, anterior approach, on 4/01/09 and returned to work full time on 4/13/09. I think that may be sooner than most but I work at a desk and own my own business, so I had to return to work. I actually returned to work for a few hours on 4/07/09 and was intending to return full time on 4/09, but I elected to stay away fo ra few extra days to focus on my recovery instead. So, I would say that you probably could return before 2-3 months, depending upon your doctor and your own health. The downside to returning to work early is that you shift your focus away from healing and back to work, and this may slow your recovery. In hindsight, if I could have done it, I think I would have taken off a month or so to allow my body to heal and recover. So I would suggest to you to take more rather than less time off work to allow your body to rest and to allow your new hip to heal. Best of luck on your surgery and recovery.
Tom
BTHR, 4/01/09

I totally agree with Tom. I went back to work at 6 weeks post op and it was difficult even though I only did ½ days the first two weeks. If I had the choice I would have opted for the 3 months. Unfortunately I ran out of days and had to go back. If it's not an issue for you, take the time - you won't regret it!

I came back full time at 4 weeks. The 1st day was somewhat rough but it got a little easier each day. I think you know your body better than anyone so listen to it and go back when you are ready. It is irritating to me when people get annoyed at someone for being ill or incapacitated. If you don't wait long enough you run the risk of being unable to work for an even longer period.

wow, i'm impressed. i'm looking at 6 months. my job is 100% on my feet but os said with one he reccomends 3-4 months but with 2 and 6 weeks inbetween he's looking towards 6.

I came back full time at 4 weeks. The 1st day was somewhat rough but it got a little easier each day. I think you know your body better than anyone so listen to it and go back when you are ready. It is irritating to me when people get annoyed at someone for being ill or incapacitated. If you don't wait long enough you run the risk of being unable to work for an even longer period.
tmike i think you are exactly right. if you have the time take it, its been a struggle for me because i dont feel good, pain slows me down and its hard to focus and i have to focus. its better to be out a little longer because once dr says your ok, they expect 100%... i had my daughter and had to go back 6 weeks later after being in a wheel chair most of the pregnancy, they couldnt do my hips till hormones were regulated and this in between time has been aweful. i shouldnt be there but i have to for income and insurance.

I had a LTHR two weeks ago and my surgeon said I will be off work for at least 2 to 3 months. I work in an office, mainly sitting at a desk all day. I would just be interested to know if this is the usual amount of time to be off. When I told my boss how long I would be off she wasn't too happy but I can't imaging being able to go back any sooner.
i dont know the regs in the uk, we have the family medical leave act that allows 12 weeks a year for serious medical. do you have anything like that.? bosses always look frustrated, i dreaded telling mine.

Big difference if you are standing as part of your job.
shoot, i've been thinking about changing to your surgeon. i have to remind myself i trust mine and he's got a reason for wanting them staged, he said its because it will be two completly different procedures and correcting such a big lld. plus i'm having posterior and yours was anterior. i have to hold back my impatient side kicks in.

Hi Cat - I work in a very small, very relaxed office (in the winter, at least) and I went back to work at 19 days about 20-25 hours a week for 2 or 3 weeks, then full time. I could get up and move around as much as I wanted, which really helped. And I wasn't driving yet, but my husband chauffeured me around. I could have taken much more time off, but I was getting bored and antsy at home!:)

i dont know the regs in the uk, we have the family medical leave act that allows 12 weeks a year for serious medical. do you have anything like that.? bosses always look frustrated, i dreaded telling mine.

Things do seem to be different in the UK. I haven't been told anything official by my employer about how long I can be off with pay. In fact I tried to tell the human resources department about my absense and they didn't seem at all concerned about it. They said I will receive a letter in the post regarding help at home but I haven't had anything. I will be able to do some work from home once I can sit at my desk top computer. I can't get to it yet as the desk is tucked away in the corner and not easy to access without twisting etc.

i was trained from a small child to be a workaholic. its taken alot for me to reprioritize. my job is great but if i dont take care of myself i'm no good for anyone. i was watching a program just last week on national health care and it seemed like alot of other countries are set up to take care of their people. but bosses are bosses and they dont like inconvenience so they all get attitudes. my boss tries but she still sounds exasperated. i can work 100 hours a week but you know what if i make a mistake i can still be fired. so loyalty is one thing but be loyal to yourself first.

Hi Catwoman,

I'm just on a waiting list for mine, but also UK and its exactly what the surgeon said to me - 2 months for jobs with any standing (I think even going to the loo counts!) and 3 if there is lots. I agree with all the people who say take it if you can and want to (I know I have a tendency to get bored so think 2 months might be enough). I know you get 28 weeks statutory sick pay in UK (with certain conditions like how long you've worked), but it depends on whether you get occupational sick pay as well which is usually more. Is there someone friendly in HR who can advise you?

oh and good luck with the recovery!

I've been with the company for 18 years. My HR representative is currently on long term sick leave herself so someone less experienced is doing her job. That might be why I haven't heard anything. It looks like I'll be having my right hip replaced in a few months time so will need more time off then - more good news for my boss lol

If your Dr gives you a sickness certificate for 3 months then your boss has to accept that. It might be worth checking your contract to see if you are paid while off sick and for how long, I am lucky because I work for a local council and get full pay for 6 months, then half pay after that if I need to be off longer.

Be careful not to go back to work while you are still signed off, even if you feel really good, because your company will not be insured for you. You need to ask your Dr and employer about a phased return to work so that you know you are secure.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been signed off for 6 weeks so far and then go back to see the surgeon so will see what he says then. In the meantime I'll attempt to content the human resources department again.

The important thing though is to concentrate on getting yourself well again and trying not to worry about other things. I hope all is going OK for you, and take care

Thanks Steph, I know you're right. I tend to feel guilty about leaving my colleagues to deal with my work while I'm away, but I know I need to put myself first and get myself fit so that I'm able to deal with everything when I do get back.

-1Re: Returning to work

Hi all, I went back to work at 8 weeks after RTHR. I had planned to go back at 6 wks but even though Ihad a great recovery, Dr still recommended staying out for 2-3months if at all possible. Because I had lots of sick time I grabbed the chance to stay out 2 more weeks even though I was checking into office by email and phone alot. The first week was tough due to tiredness even though my job is primarily a desk job.

Bottom line, if you can do it,even though itgoes against your workaholic ways,I recommend taking the extra time. Looking back almost wish I had taken more.

Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member