THR Returning to Golf post THR

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Howdy

I have a right THR coming up in May. I'm 33 and a keen golfer. My surgeon has told me that returning to golf will be no issue and strolling the courses a welcomed form of exercise. Along with that he has operated on many golfers who post surgery have said they are able to complete a full turn more successfully resulting in better rounds.

I have high swing speeds and do a lot of loading and weight transfer in my swing which I hope will not be sacrificed by having a new hip.

If you have any feedback or stories, I would love to hear them.

Cheers.

I think golf is one of the most popular sports for many of our members. Plenty of success stories in the post op forum.

Hi @BigDon
There's every chance that you'll be able to return to golf after your surgery.

You may find you have to modify your swing at first, because newly replaced joints don't like being twisted. The torsion effect of a golf swing may have to be toned down for a while.

Hi @BigDon, had my THR last August. Now that the weather is warmer I've been out on the course this past week.

Biggest challenge is tweaking my swing as I have a full ROM again and prior I wasn't able to rotate my hip properly.

On the sim I can get into the 113-117 range with my driver, so I've got a decent swing speed and have had no issues with it the last couple of weeks at the range and course.

Prior to surgery I was still playing consistently, but couldn't walk the course, in fact I played a full 18 the wednesday evening prior to my friday surgery. You can look at my different threads (pre-op and post op) as I had a lot of doubt heading into surgery. 6 months later, I wish I had the surgery a couple years earlier. I absolutely love it and have no pain whatsoever, and I've been able to get my activity level up to pre-injury levels. Looking back it's hard to realize how much you think about the hip and how much it limits you, but not anymore!

Last edited:
@minifab

it's great that you are back out on the course. I assume you would have missed being out there whilst recovering. I know i will.

It's a welcoming notion that you can get back to a full ROM with your turn, this I struggle with at the moment and that ruins my score once the soreness kicks in.

How do you find the hip replacement when your loading during your swing? I'm right handed and will be getting the right THR.

I don't play golf, but you shouldn't be thinking about the hip as you do your swing.

I've read dozens of people talking about playing golf after surgery. Never heard a one even mention how the hip felt other than to say it "felt great" or "no problems with the hip."

Golf is considered a low impact activity. So my sense is it was approved of going back to the older hip replacements. There is nothing controversial to hip surgeons about playing golf after surgery.

What there isn't agreement on is running after hip replacement, or basketball. Some surgeons, such as mine, think running is fine. Other surgeons are more cautious. That's where the differences of opinion are--on very aggressive activity.

Last edited:
@BigDon

Honestly I delayed my surgery to late august just so I could get the most of the 2020 golf season in; only really missing 1-1.5 months of golf. Courses are mostly still closed here for winter, but a couple started opening last 1-2 weeks. So timing couldn't have been better!

I am righty with left hip; honestly I have no issue loading. It's hard to explain, especially when you're so used to the pain. But I really just don't feel anything - it feels how a hip should feel. No issues with stability or anything.

I am fairly athletic built 6'4 and 210lbs, and it really just feels normal while out on the course.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom