THR Returning member

Stripey

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone, I became a member here in 2014 when I was facing my first THR, right side. This site was a big help to me, and that surgery was a great success, with a smooth recovery and joyful return to activities that I’d been forced to give up long before. Now I am back, with left THR (anterior approach) scheduled for January 28, 2020. I guess that makes me a member of the Bonesmart Boomerang Club since I went away and came back :).

My first hip adventure took about 15 years to unfold from the first twinge to my eventual surrender to replacement surgery. My only regret is that I didn’t do it years earlier. My current adventure started in August of this year with a twinge or two and has progressed in just a few months to unbearable disability. At first I was bummed, thinking I had many more years to go before a second surgery, but I’m coming to see the advantages – I’m still on private insurance, still have access to my excellent orthopedic surgeon, and I will get this over with and be able to enjoy an active lifestyle for years to come.

I’m looking forward to once again being part of this community.

@Stripey Welcome back to BoneSmart! You will soon be a member of the double hippie club. All done and dusted will be such a relief! I look forward to following your journey.

Hi @Stripey and welcome back to BoneSmart! :welome:

I recently did the very same thing, had surgery in 2015 and have my other hip replaced about 5 months ago. Feels so good to have them both completed. I know you are a "pro" at this but would still like to leave you some reading, just in case you need some reminders..

HIP
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

I know I enjoyed reading through them again the second time and I hope you do also. :)

Well welcome back. I am guessing that I will also need the second hip done at some point, and my goal is to follow your path and set up the surgery sooner rather than later.

Easier said than done, I know. So, much congrats on making the decision.

I can relate. My left hip was 2017 and I thought I was done. Got active and life was good again. Then in April twinges. Went on vacation, more than twinges. Saw OS in May and was scheduled for Nov. Just replaced on 11/13. Just started recovery and life is already improving.

You will soon start 2020 with less pain.

Now I am back, with left THR (anterior approach) scheduled for January 28, 2020. I guess that makes me a member of the Bonesmart Boomerang Club since I went away and came back :).

I suppose it's appropriate to say "welcome back," but I'm sure if you had a choice you would have been a one-time member! :yes!:

Seriously, it was refreshing to hear that your first surgery went well and it looks like your lottery ticket to become a double hippie will be smooth sailing. Best of luck to you...

Thanks everyone, for the welcomes. I am pondering whether to stay in the hospital one night like last time or go home the day of. The doc was encouraging me NOT to stay in hospital, but I'm kind of afraid to commit to going home the same day in case I don't feel up to it. On the other hand, I hated the night I spent in the hospital the last time. The staff was great, but I didn't like being in one position (on my back) for 24 hours and hooked up to IVs, having to ring for assistance every time I needed to go to the bathroom, which was often due to aforementioned IVs. I didn't sleep more than an hour the whole night. At around 2PM they offered me Ambien, but I declined because I was afraid that I might be groggy when PT came by at 8AM for my discharge "tests" (going up and down stairs, etc).

Anyone have any experience/wisdom to relate about going home the same day?

I just had my second done, I was offered outpatient but declined and went for the 2 day 1 nite special meals included. I had a 2 hour drive to the overnight stay and about 2 1/2 to the drive through. I wanted it easier so we went the nite before to a motel. I had the overnight stay the first time and it was a good experience so I wanted it again. Nothing went the slightest bit wrong but it was reassuring spending the night in the hospital if anything did.

Seen some members go home the same day and were happy to do it.
However, as disruptive as hospital life can be, I was glad they kept me there to get my pain med cocktail just right and make sure there were no issues that popped up which might require me to travel back for assessment.
I'm sure even if they have you on same day status, this would be contingent on how you were doing...BP wise and etc.

Hi there @Stripey
Once the hip starts they go downhill so quickly..
I had my first one in 2013 in the 2nd this March... have to say it was much easier the 2nd time around & I had a very easy recovery... in fact had TKR this October too
& new hip has been fab.
Personally I like to stay overnight or two nights just to make sure all is well & meds sorted & to have a bit of TLC... then glad to get home to my own nest!!

It is very tempting to want to be home right away. This was not offered to me but I would have refused. The one day/night in hospital gave me time to adjust to bring post op and I knew pain meds were working. Saying this, I could not wait to be out the next day and I was after morning OT and PT. I was out after lunch by about 12:30. This way I was mentally and physically ready to be home. I might add I am also 1.5-2hrs away from hospital where surgery was performed. In addition, I know me staying overnight was less stress on my husband even with the extra driving.

Hi @Stripey, my op is on 8th Jan so I’ll be three weeks ahead of you in the recovery process. Getting right hip done and it can’t come quick enough, have been managing fine for last few months but oh boy things have gone downhill in last couple of weeks, pain is quite unbearable at times, especially if I try to walk after sitting for a while. I live on an island off the Scottish west coast and have to factor in a 1 hour ferry trip to my home journey so I am quite happy to stay in hosp for 3 nights at surgeons suggestion. Have had my two knees replaced over last three years and was in hosp for four nights both times as the weather was bad and the ferry was stormbound!!! All part of the fun :groan:

Hi @Lilli215 ! I know what you mean. I don't remember feeling so impatient waiting for my last hip surgery but this time it feels like it is ages until The Day. Ditto with pain after sitting for awhile. I get up and limp for the first 20 painful steps or so and then if I'm lucky I can walk like a normal person or nearly so but not without discomfort. On Saturday I was frustrated because I had a day off but everything I wanted to do seemed out of reach due to hip pain.

I look forward to hearing about your recovery while I wait for my big day. Sounds like you have a good plan for resting up in hospital for a few days. I couldn't imagine a long ferry ride without having several days to recuperate. You've been through a few joint replacements so you are a pro at this by now :yes: . Having been through at least one is a big help at cutting down the apprehension.

Hi Stripey,

I just came across this on a local news site and it might apply to you as your location is Washington state. https://paidleave.wa.gov/2019

Starting in 2020 our state has paid family leave for patients or caregivers who work full time. In my case it means my wife can stay home more than a few days to help me out post surgery. For what it's worth the state has been collecting a payroll tax to fund it since the law was initially passed.

Hi @BruceH ! Looks like you are just a couple weeks ahead of me in January. Fortunately my employer has a very generous paid leave policy, and my caregiver is retired, but I'm glad this new policy exists for those who aren't so fortunate. For my right hip replacement 5 years ago, I thought I would be much more debilitated than I actually was post-surgery. I envisioned myself in bed all day, ringing a bell to summon help :loll:. The reality was very different, and I was able to do all of my "activities of daily living" without difficulty, even though I spent most of my time the first week or so reclining on the sofa with ice packs and pillows. That said, it is nice to have someone on hand for those early days, and I certainly appreciated the company and somebody who could drive me to follow-up appointments. I hope your recovery is smooth and easy from day one.

Wait! What?! You didn’t get to lay in bed and ring your bell for help? :rotfl: Couldn’t help myself! Have enjoyed your thread so far. It has been interesting especially since my left hip is now beginning to complain some more (it had been all along but not like the right) and I wondered what others had experienced in that regard. You can bet, however, I won’t be waiting so long to get it fixed if it progresses to that. I’m glad your first surgery went well and Washington state rocks (my daughter moved there last year.) I stayed 2 nights with my THR as it was a challenge for some reason to get pain under control. I would not have wished that on any home caregiver. Better to have that plan in mind if possible I think because you can always go home sooner if you want. Will be following and hoping for the best for you.

Thanks @Hip4life, I think you will know when it's time to replace the left, having been through THR with the right. My orthopedic surgeon gave me the "it's up to you to decide when it's time" bit, just like he did 5 years ago. With my right hip, I was expecting him to tell ME when it was time, so I waited. This time, I said "Now!" without hesitation. When you can barely tie your shoe or pick up after the dog when he relieves himself at the curb, it is TIME and there is no reason to wait.

And yes, I am planning to spend one night in hospital, don't want to commit to an outpatient procedure. I hope you don't need a second surgery for awhile, it's been not even a year since your first!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back