THR Return to work?

I've learned from our own @Jaycey that Bridges are a core stability exercise.
Jaycey has shared here that she has spine issues and has been doing Bridges for years.
She's also mentioned that they put a great deal of pressure on the hip joint and the soft tissue and muscle in an area that has just been traumatized through the major surgery of a THR.
I trust her advice and I'd avoid them.
@Magster2

I am very SORE (buttocks, thigh), as I have tried to ramp up my walking to 1200 steps a day. I need at least 4000 to 6000 steps a day to work!

I know it seems counter-intuitive @Magster2 ...but this extra time you acquired is necessary for extra rest for healing...not for training for work.
It will go much better if you stop pushing it! Really. And bridges are completely Unnecessary, in my opinion.
Build up your walking slowly...and ice is still your friend.:ice:
Giving your body the rest and time it needs these next weeks will put you in a much better position to get back to work.:yes:
Days of overdoing it only stall recovery.
Don't worry, you will get there.:friends:

Sounds like you are ready to accomplish the admittance to the over did it club in a big way! All of this doesn't make it better, it only makes it longer as the setbacks take quite a while to get over. Bridges are really rough especially if you weren't doing them before surgery in a regular workout program. They just cause a new different pain that your body really doesn't need.

I know it seems counter-intuitive @Magster2 ...but this extra time you acquired is necessary for extra rest for healing...not for training for work.

Well I DO have the mind set of training for work, because I have to face it. I have 5 weeks left of leave. I did 2000 steps yesterday. Went to bed at 9:00 p.m., exhausted.
I got physical therapy to cut down the number of exercises I have been doing. They keep adding more without taking away the old ones. So now I have just FIVE exercises to do, and I do feel a bit less sore.
I will take it easy on the bridges, having heard from the group that they are rough, and possibly not necessary for recovery.

Thanks for all the support. A side question - I have a 40 pound dog who is dying to get up in my lap again. I have been putting a pillow over my lap and not allowing her up. She's like a bowling ball jumping into my lap at times, so I have been keeping her down, in fear of the jumping up possibly causing dislocation. What's reasonable in this aspect? :puppysmooze:

Hi @Magster2
I hope you're having a good day so far. It's your body and your Recovery but please keep in mind the following-

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

With the understanding that you're trying to increase your daily step count to between 4000-6000 before your return to work, because that's what you average per day while working, that should be exercise enough in itself while your body is trying to heal from the trauma of a major surgery.

You may also find that if you ease up somewhat and allow your body to recover a bit, it may not feel as exhausting when you do exercise. All of your energy is going toward healing right now and not leaving you a lot of energy for all the rest of the activities of daily living. Please allow yourself the rest you need. Consider setting PT aside until a later date if / when you feel there is a particular issue you need to address.

Personally, I'd wait several weeks longer before I'd let the dog jump up on my lap. Just My Opinion.

Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend as you continue healing.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hope you're doing well since you last posted.
Are you still on target to go back to work the first week of March?
With any luck you're getting your step counts up to where you need them to be in order to handle your return.
A great week to you!
@Magster2

Thank you Layla!

I am slotted to go back to work on March 4.

Step count is about 3000 per day. I will likely just die the first week of work, but hubby is prepared with dinner. I am prepared to go home and sit on my ice packs!

New problem. I was doing SO well, until a few days ago. My walk even looked kind of normal. I did nothing remarkable in terms of motion; possibly bending over too far? I had a searing pain along my scar line after taking a shower. I went right to the ice packs, but I am still limping. I feel set back in my progress. Is it possible to pull a muscle along the scar line?

That is a very sensitive area and I know as I got more active and made "first time" movements I would get sharp pains, pulls or even zips and zaps.
I'm not sure about pulling the muscle and I don't recall it making me limp...but you did the right thing.
Icing it up and babying it.
I , too, went back to work early.
I will likely just die the first week of work, but hubby is prepared with dinner.
That's pretty much the way it went, but if you prepare to do alot of nothing when you get home, I bet you will be surprised as time goes on how much better it gets.
Wishing you all the best!

I had all internal stitches and pulling was a common feeling. Bending to tie shoes or wash my feet in the shower caused pulls and pain. Even now if I push a stretch too far I can make my muscles in the hip area hurt for a few days.

I had all internal stitches and pulling was a common feeling. Bending to tie shoes or wash my feet in the shower caused pulls and pain. Even now if I push a stretch too far I can make my muscles in the hip area hurt for a few days.

Thank you for this message. My therapist indicated that the source of pain was between the gluteus Medius and maximus, where there are a lot of insertion muscles. She did some manual massage and it was better after that. I guess I can expect the unexpected as I recover!

Happy Wednesday!
Wishing you luck upon your return to work next week.
It's good you have a supportive husband who's willing to step up while you're still recovering.
I'm sure you take comfort in knowing you can come home and relax, rather than try to slog through
meals and the everyday maintenance of your home. I hope rest and ice is helping with the discomfort you were feeling. Let us know how work is going after you have a few days under your belt.
All the best to you!
@Magster2

I returned to work this week. Holy cow, the brain fog and fatigue were a MAJOR issues. Pain was not. I worked 4 days this week, finally feeling that my mind and body were together on day 4. Is this brain fog/fatigue a common theme? I feel I will be better after this. I am making progress with my gait.

I am having an issue with by buttock muscles. When I sit, no pain. When I get up, staggering pain, then works out as I walk. Everybody says, 'Don't fall!' which I am not, just need to get some steps going. Like my buttocks are sorry I sat on them. Have to sit down SOME time, but my muscles are acting like I am sorry I did! I don't have this issue when I get up from sleep, just when I sit.

Thanks for all the support and answers to questions. I have found them all helpful.

That IS how it is.
Everything tightens up and it doesn't hurt til it's done.
It DOES get better.
When you get home...baby that hip!
:ok:

Hi @Magster2
Yes, the brain fog is common. I've heard it before. One particular instance was a teacher who
was bothered by the brain fog more than anything else upon her return to work.

I didn't experience what you've described after sitting but felt like I was sitting on a golf ball for quite some time. Very annoying but it gradually eased. I wonder when you first stand up...if you don't immediately take any steps, if you'll still feel what you've described as "staggering pain?"
I'm sure whatever the sensation is, it will ease with time like every other questionable sensation or discomfort we experience does during recovery. It seems like what's bothering us one day, is replaced by some other annoyance the next day. The joys of recovery. :groan:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :)

I definitely sit on ice every day. Best pain reliever ever! I took a dog walk today (my usual activity) and stopped when I could feel my hip muscles talking to me. Glad, though, to be back into my usual activities. Thinking it may have been worth it after all. Even after week one.

Hi @Magster2
I loved icing too! :ice:
The more time that passes, the more you'll appreciate that you had the surgery.
Recovery takes patience. Take it at a reasonable pace, as you are, and you'll do just fine.
Wishing you a good week!

Hi Magster2,
I'm glad going back to work went OK. I work in healthcare also, but in an office, so much easier. I get up, go in a room, sit down, get up again, etc. I went back to work after 4 weeks because if I don't work, I don't get paid and I could not afford to take anymore time off. My pain wasn't too bad, mostly getting up from a sitting position, but compared to my pain before surgery, it's nothing. (My hip used to get stuck in flexion, which was a little embarrassing). But boy was I tired. I still am at almost 9 weeks. And sometimes it hits me out of the blue.
My best advice is to do nothing much when you are home if possible. I find it difficult to not get bored but it really does help. I also had buttock pain with my first hip but not so much with this one. I think the difference is "bun squeezes". I do them in the car on my commute, sometimes in time to the music on the radio. This is a lot easier than bridges (although it doesn't work the core) and doesn't put any pressure on my hip.

Hi :hi:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a great Sunday and the sun is shining in your neck of the woods :SUNsmile:
Have a wonderful week! :flwrysmile:
@Magster2

I am 5 weeks post THR on the left, posterior approach. My doctor said I should be able to go back to work in 6 weeks, but I took off 8 weeks. I have three weeks to go to return to work, but am having doubts about my stamina. I work in a hospital and have to walk a lot. During a typical day, I walk 4,000 to 6,000 steps. I finally got to 1200 steps yesterday, and feel like it would be a miracle to work up to 4,000 steps in the next 3 weeks. My physical therapist says I 'may be' ready to return to work in 3 weeks. I have the ability to take 3 additional weeks off for leave, but feel so guilty. They are really hurting without me. When have you been able to return to a high walk demand job after surgery?

I understand your dilemma! Everyone heals differently. I’m just 6 weeks past my second posterior hip replacement and it’s definatly different from my first (almost exactly 5 years ago ) .. I relate to your feelings about work. .. I also stand all day in my work ( I’m a busy stylist ) and last time I started back after 6 weeks , don’t remember too many problems , but I was 5 years younger ... this time they bumped my surgery to 10 days later and I’d already been booking people for my return , so I started back at 5 weeks. And I have to say after 5 straight days at my chair , I was feeling a little beat up , having an x Ray tommorrow , going to physio and hoping I’m not doing too much damage. , but I am working at about 75 % and less If I can get away with it. ... so. Just take the time you need if you can , it’s your body .. I’m self employed, so I don’t have that kind of freedom .. cheers

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks