BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Restricted movement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Sue31, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sue31

Sue31

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I’ve read lots of posts on here regarding lots of hip problems , many of which people describe restricted movements. In my case I find it very difficult to put my shoes and socks on,get out of bed in the morning and I’m not able to sit down for long.

What movement restrictions do you all get ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

These are all very common limitations pre-op. The good news is all this will be resolved post surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Strod

Strod

Hey @Sue31, I have similar issues, difficulty putting shoes/socks on, unable to cut toe nails, walking time/distance limited, unable to stand around for long, frequent night pain interrupting sleep, can't really carry much as extra load through hip intensifies the discomfort. The hip itself has very limited mobility, and has been well worn, so my gait is also compromised. It's starting to get a bit boring now, so I'm scheduled for THR of my right hip on 18th October...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RSC

RSC

United States United States
    I didn't have much pain pre-op, at least when not running up against my limits on range of motion, but I had all the movement restrictions that you mentioned. Also very slow walking pace, I think because of limited stride length. And as things progressed, inability to ride a bicycle due to limited range of motion.

It's all good now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Getting in and out of car.
    Lateral moves with my leg.
    Getting up from the floor.
    Spreading my legs:heehee:
    Lotus yoga pose.
    Lying down and bringing my knee up causes pain.

To those of you that have had surgery, do the restricted movements resolve immediately after surgery?

6. zauberflöte

zauberflöte

@Sue31 Hi!
    climbing stairs
    getting in and out of the car
    standing still for more than 3 minutes (walking wasn't too bad until the last few months of each hip)
    anything involving rotation of the leg
    oddly, night time was ok unless I moved too quickly
    sitting has been a problem since 15 years before the first hip started to go, and is not connected to the hips
    left hip, referred knee pain that was a killer
    getting TO the floor, never mind getting up!
    squatting and especially getting up from a squat-- impossible
    anything that jarred the bad leg, like tripping up a step, or running into the open dishwasher
    putting on and off pants, jeans, and undies-- for the right hip I'd cry contemplating having to change clothes or undress at night.

@Bumblebee when you say immediately do you mean the second you wake up? I had some pain resolve then-- I could lie in that hospital bed with my op leg turned out and knee bent slightly, what a relief! All the arthritis pain is totally gone, but there is surgical pain which limits free movement until the body heals up. With my first hip, I continued gaining ROM for a couple of years, and then the other hip went too bad to allow any more improvement in the first. I think it's different for each person and their recovery, but the one thing we all get in common is, that awful OA pain is gone, gone gone!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RSC

RSC

No, not immediately. So be patient. I can't remember very well, but it seems that being able to sit for long periods came pretty quickly. Not that sitting for long periods is a good thing, at least without pumping the ankles.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 Forum Advisor

My hip pain was gone immediately, ROM and moving without post op pain slow and easy.
    Within a month I was putting on my own shoes and socks and touching my toes....just because.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

The list of movement restrictions just seems to keep growing and growing...
    I now usually go upstairs on all fours like a cat but less graceful.
    Getting in and out of car but driving is fine
    turning over in bed is painful
    trying to carry anything while walking around the house is difficult (esp that glass of wine!!!)
    shopping - always use stores shopping trolley but by the time I'm half finished I am almost bent double leaning over the thing.
    Socks and shoes
    Sitting is ok but standing up sitting down is now slow.
    getting up/down from floor (nothing to do with that glass of wine I may add)
    walking of any distance. If I have say 5 shops to go to I'll give up after 2
    And I have discovered that so so many of my clothes simply do not need ironing.
    Lots of things now just seem to take so much effort.
    But I am blessed with amazing wonderful husband.
    4 weeks and 6 days to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sunnyhippy

Sunnyhippy

@Sue31
    My pre op pain was aweful. I could not sleep good, tie shoes,sit long and driving hurt. I laid in bed alot. Hang in there there is a light at the end. Best wishes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Bumblebee

Bumblebee

@Tomgirl ..who would have thought that fermented grapes were that heavy.:loll:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

I know I know, but giving hubby the benefit of the doubt he was more worried about my pain than he was about wine going on the new carpet! Sadly these days it's not even a large glass, and in my defence m'lud I always feel as though my leg is going to give way. Ha.

13. Susan209

Susan209

Australia Australia
    Yep, all of the above. Putting on shoes and socks, clipping toenails, and doing legs is all getting very hard... Also bending down to pat or feed the cats. :meow:
    @Tomgirl and now it's 4 weeks 5 days. Not that we are counting... :giggle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

@Sue31 looks like we all have similar restrictions with movements. Are you going for the hip replacement, do you have a date? Really wish I had gone for it sooner.
    @Susan209 so much to do over the next 4 weeks and 5 days, it will be here before we know it thank goodness. Hope you are keeping OK

15. mcopt

mcopt

I can seem to relate to virtually all those pains and restrictions listed on this thread, even more so lately as I have stopped all NSAID painkillers on surgeons instructions and co-codamol etc doesn't seem to make any difference for me. I know it's not going to get better on its own so the suffering is a huge driving force to get on and get fixed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. kattyaz

kattyaz

I have 10 days till surgery. I have started using a walker to get around at work. I have my husband drop me off and pick me up from work as I can no longer walk from my handicapped space. My leg hurts all the time! I wake up every 2 hours and try to get comfortable. I still take a Miloxicam 15 and Hydrocodone. I sit a lot at work and when I get up I have to prep my body to move, it is horrible. I am looking forward to recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mcopt

mcopt

Hi @kattyaz can so relate to what you have said I am having to use the stairlift at work that I had fitted for my elderly patients to reach my consulting room broken sleep and now using 2 sticks I have about 5 weeks to go got to say I am now almost looking forward to it. Certainly looking forward to a hopefull good recovery and getting back to normal. All the best.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. jaydub63

jaydub63

I can get my left shoe on with effort (that's my bad hip) but find that I can't wear shoes with a heel more than about 1/2 inch high, otherwise the pain in my hip is even worse. I'm a bit of a shoe junky, so I miss wearing some of my fun shoes that have even a little bit of a heel. I haven't gotten rid of them, so hopefully next year I can get them out again. Wearing lots of slip-on flats and tennies at the moment.

19. BoyMom

BoyMom

I agree with almost all the symptoms and I feel like I am reading my own words! @jaydub63 I too love shoes and can only wear flats. I bought a small kitten heel for a wedding this weekend and won't even be able to wear them. Rarely do I wear tie shoes any more, it's usually some sort of slide on shoe or boot...but with no heal.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

20. Mojo333

Mojo333 Forum Advisor

Pre hip surgery...Agree and all those restrictions plus no way to lay in bed for long to rest. Hurt worse laying down. Misdiagnosed for several years before finally receiving end stage degenerative OA in both hips.
    Knew I was at the end of my rope when tried to figure how I could sew velcro strip on back of onsie blanket pajamas to see if I could stick myself to the wall with a stopper in front of my feet so maybe I could sleep standing up.
    Not even kidding. :beg:
    Does make you erase any doubts that SOMETHING has to be done.
    Glad to be back to almost normal.

• Creative Creative x 1