BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[HIP INFECTION] Resection of right hip after tape caprae infection

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by SCaprae, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave:
    Safe travels, hope you have a great trip!
    Update us on your return...we'd love to hear.
    @SCaprae

2. Gidget

Gidget member

Australia Australia
    It’s Formula 1 here today.

3. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

There's no place like Home! I always see Ruby slippers clicking heels when I hear or say that. But it is true. I would rather feel under the weather at home. My home! Rest eewe

4. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

Have had the opportunity to work on & drive several pieces of "old iron". 1929 Cat Model 60, 1928 Best 2 Ton (both tracked tractors) & a 1929 Model A Phaeton. All are being prepped for sale. Will be in Albuquerque this coming weekend & home sometime next week. The past several days have been almost 90 degrees & am starting to get tan. Life is good!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Layla

Hello :wave:
    How wonderful and refreshing to hear you say "Life is Good" in the midst of all you're dealing with.
    I want to be like you when I grow up :heehee:
    Have fun....enjoy the sun a don't forget your sunscreen!
    Safe travels home!
    @SCaprae

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good old vitamin D therapy.
    Glad to hear all is well.
    Hope you have a Good Day:SUNsmile:

7. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

Here is a breakdown of the trip. 2 days drive time, with increasing pain and swelling (flexor being used) that abated offer a nights rest. Next 2 days being "ugly" as use of temp hip continued. Turned the corner and saw slow improvement and have seen marked improvement across the board(no pain no gain) and began to actually enjoy the trip. Have been using 1 crutch (walking around Tombstone), progressively stronger. Cane to be tried in the near future. Thinking about retaining the articulated spacer for a bit longer to put off the next surgery as I'm tolerating it fairly well

8. Layla

Too bad for the "ugly" that's no fun. Please explain..because I don't understand. Is there an advantage to keeping the spacer for a longer period of time? I guess I'm thinking that a spacer would be miserable and you'd want to lose it as quickly as you're able. Is it as comfortable as a prosthetic? Really just trying to understand this process.

It's great you've recovered from the drive and are having a good time. I hope you're able to comfortably enjoy the rest of your vacay. A great weekend to you!! High of 27F in the great state of MN today :rotfl: I thought it was Spring? :shrug:
    @SCaprae

9. clodaghcov

clodaghcov member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Glad you have had a wonderful trip, doing so much with your spacer, you do get used to them and I know I found myself thinking I almost would be happy to just keep this in, the surgeon and I have conferred if this was to happen again.

Keep up the good work, gosh you are amazing with all that driving and a super tan as well! Well done, maybe relax abit now.!xx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

Initially when beginning to bear more weight on the temp spacer there was at times a "catching" sensation. It seemed to be affected by my sleeping position at times or amount of use. My surgeon brought up the subject of keeping the temp, indicating that more time with it wouldn't be detrimental and can be tolerated. Also would provide a longer time before the next surgery. Flip side is a longer drawn out process Will not decide till after next consult. Tried to upload an X-ray for a comparison (temp and metallic, left & right) but the file is too big.

11. Layla

Hmm, interesting.
    Was wondering about your situation again after Mireille just posted she needs a two stage revision in light of a recently diagnosed MRSA infection. Same type of situation, I'm assuming? I just struggle with understanding this...
    So...the original infection was identified two years after your RTHR due to lingering pain and you went through the process. Then in 2017 you began having problems (pain) and learned of the infection again? Or was there always a problem from the first revision on? Do they know if they ever completely wiped out the infection or were you just terribly unlucky to get the same infection twice? I'm guessing it was never eradicated....

Hope you're still enjoying yourself in sunny AZ! Would love to hear of your travels back on Route 66. I envision wide open spaces with not much to see and then a gas station in the middle of nowhere where you might see
    Cindy Crawford pull up and buy a cold Pepsi from a vending machine :rotfl: Have to hear if it's like that....or if you saw Cindy :heehee:

12. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

They thought that the infection was gone after the 2013 revision (complicated by the fact that blood work all looks normal) even though it had micro encapsulated to the the metallic spike in the femur(the only original piece left during the revision.) At the time they thought it was only at the cup (fibrous adhesion) placement in pelvis. Did the PICC line then & it took time for it to blossom again and me to complain. All blood work this time looked normal & only showed infection after joint aspiration. Consensus is that the infection was never eradicated.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Layla

Thanks.
    What a sad, unfortunate and time consuming set back.
    So sorry....not fair.
    @SCaprae

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

It's what has led to where we are. Old news, moving ahead & doing well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

Preparing to leave Albuquerque and return home. The desert has its own beauty, it is rather subtle (takes a while to see it & appreciate) but am missing my normal surroundings. Have some discomfort in right thigh that I'm attributing to walking around Madrid where Wild Hogs was filmed. Home Monday!

16. Layla

Does ice help the thigh pain? Some gel packs in a cooler for the drive?
    Wild Hogs? :hog: Hmm...maybe you'll run into John Travolta instead of Cindy!

Safe travels!

17. clodaghcov

clodaghcov member

Its very interesting reading about these infections and if they do actually completely go away, I have wondered many times---and spacers, I think I was just unlucky that my spacer dislocatedxx

18. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

I guess I've been fortunate to not dislocate mine, as I have pushed the limits a bit. My feeling is that my infection is from the initial THR in December of 2010, that a lot more info has been gained by the medical community since then. If they are able to help w/ my case I'm glad to accept their help & the process is well worth it. The surgeon at Mayo has me believing that it can be eradicated and I must remain positive. Otherwise it's back to "ugly". Best wishes to you!

• Like Like x 1
  19. SCaprae

SCaprae junior member

Home safe & sound. There is no place like home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. clodaghcov

clodaghcov member

Wonderful glad you are on the way---take great carex