Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

Glad you got the paperwork taken care of yesterday. It is interesting how slow some of the insurances can be making payments.

While the visiting may have tired you out, I bet it was great mental health therapy!

Good luck moving toward new normal @SCaprae- that’s what we are working towards even if the paths there may have different detours.

Last edited:
Typo-appt is 3/19/18.

Yes, mental health is essential. Making plans to fix up corned beef & cabbage to "put on the feed bag" w/ coworkers ( have done this the past several years) as they requested yesterday. We typically do a pot luck or group lunch once a month or so with everyone contributing & some just bring in their specialty to share as they feel like. We do not always agree on everything, but have found how to "agree to disagree". Boils down to respecting each other.

So happy you got out and had a good taste of normal life once again.
Too bad you had to go through the annoying part but it will all work out in the end.
It sounds like your lunch with co-workers went over well and the Corned Beef and Cabbage idea
sounds like fun and something to look forward to.
You'll have to keep us in the loop in regard to your next appt. with the surgeon.
Thanks for sharing your journey. We are all learning through your experiences.
Hope today is great!
@SCaprae

Stopping by to say Hi!
Any big plans for the race this weekend....NASCAR, right?
Maybe a little R&R on the recliner in the garage.
If it's NASCAR....wondering if you ever went to one of the races...
My brother and his sons are into it and used to travel to see some of the races.
Hope your weekend is good!
@SCaprae

Beginning week 5, weekly home nurse visit & labs drawn / all is well. NASCAR is in Phoenix this weekend & will have granddaughter over to watch it with us. I did attend 1 race in person in Atlanta/ flew in the day that someone jumped the security perimeter to retrieve a camera or something, spent 2 hours stuck on the taxiway waiting to get off plane while airport was shut down. Actually I enjoy the race better on television (replays and multiple camera angles) but it should be experienced in person at least once. Took 4 hours to get out of the parking lot & concessions and rest rooms are closed/locked before the race ends. Did have an excellent family style meal at City Pig (not sure if it is still open in Peach Tree) and did enjoy the trip. Still gaining motion and flexibility in right leg, all is well. Appointment at Mayo a week from Monday & should be done with PICC line and become more Mobil with crutches.

Freedom from the umbilical cord.
:yes!:
Hope your weekend is wonderful.:SUNsmile:

Hi!
Great news all went well with the nurses visit. That has to be comforting each time.
Awesome that your granddaughter likes NASCAR and will watch it with you.
Visits with our grandkids can make our day.

Sounds like quite the adventure on your trip to the Atlanta to see one of the races.
After reading your explanation on replays and camera angles I can see why watching them on tv
has its advantage. But still nice to experience one if you're a fan.

Its wonderful to hear you're gaining mobility. You'll have to keep us posted on your Mayo visit.
As always, thanks for sharing the journey.
Hope your day is great!
@SCaprae

Spent the most time yet gently moving about w/ crutches yesterday. Mixed results, hip parts and associated hardware doing just fine - disused muscles (have been no weight bearing on right since September) that have been asked "wake up" and are unhappy. Will continue to work on them. Plan changed for today,granddaughter (2 yrs)has pneumonia, will not be coming over. Should recover rapidly

Oh no, sweet little granddaughter is sick.....I'm sorry.
Thankfully young kids do have a way of bouncing back fairly quickly.

Taking it slow and easy is wise. It will come and obviously you want to get it right.
I hope you enjoy the race today and have a great week!
@SCaprae

Good week so far, expecting the delivery of the last 9 doses of antibiotic from the combining pharmacy tomorrow. Will be nice to reach the end of this part. Thinking about the next goal/milestone, but must wait till after next Monday before receiving necessary information to move forward with planning. Still it "sticks" in my mind. Each day is 1 closer.

Good job! Great patience. I guess you don't have a choice but you seem to be
taking it all in stride.

I'd be thinking about the next step and moving forward also. Who wouldn't? I guess you're normal :heehee:
You'll have to fill us in on the "next step" when you're ready. Your recovery is interesting and informative
and I thank you again for allowing us to share in your journey.

Hope the rest of your week is good!
Corned Beef and Cabbage with co-workers on Friday? Any of this involved? > :beer:
@SCaprae

Checking on the amount/ level of interest for corned beef lunch. No, there will not be any non-work approved beverages at lunch. However there may be a "safety" meeting after the work day ends.

Hahaha! Safety Meeting :heehee: :cheers:
Keep yourself "safe" at that meeting!
We don't want you stumbling around and falling, lol!
@SCaprae

Lunch is set for Friday, will put it in the crock pot tonite for an early start tomorrow. Am going w/a new recipe that should be good. Granddaughter is getting over being sick (productive cough only) & met them for dinner last night. Noticed this morning that my right leg can "hide" in the shadow of the left. Will need to work on that following the next surgery (to be expected after 6 months of being on crutches).

Happy Thursday!
The lunch with your co-workers tomorrow should be fun.
It's refreshing to read you're living life. Meeting co-workers, dinners out with family.
To me, your story helps alleviate some of the fears about infection.
While I understand it's a serious setback and certainly no picnic, I had a skewed idea
of recovery from infection. Imagined you'd just be imobile unable to do much of anything.
Obviously not the case. You're dealing well, it's inspiring.
Hope you have a great time tomorrow!
@SCaprae

Frame of mind is the biggest factor that I see. Though there are those who say that I am "not quite wrapped correctly" though I disagree w/ them on ocasion. Things could actually much worse: hospitalized w/o a spacer, non articulated spacer, no spacer technology or development. Every black cloud has a lining though it may not be "silver".

I need to better educate myself because while I've heard of all you mentioned above
it's something I've steered clear of.

In all honesty, from early on I avoided the red and yellow banners of Hip Infection and Revision because the thought freaked me out. Just one more thing that could go wrong. Didn't even want to look.
I wonder how many others have done the same....

Thankfully people like you, @clodaghcov and others help demystify the subject as well as @zinnia
@Fractured and many more, in regard to Revision. Can't thank you ALL enough for your openness, honesty and for allowing us to follow your journeys.

Do you have any suggestions on how BoneSmart could better serve those of you dealing with such setbacks?

Been fighting a cold past few days. Laying around a lot. Hip flexor seems a bit better but that thigh muscle OUCH!! Hope everyone is doing well!!!

Navigating around this site is still something I find a bit difficult. Am not too computer literate , but working on. Biggest issue, remembering how I got from 1 place to another.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back