Hip Infection* Life After SCaprae

What great news! @SCaprae
We'll continue to be here to comfort and encourage, that's a promise :wink:
So keep stopping by. If the support is uplifting and helps with your attitude
drain us dry, hahaha! Dare you to try :heehee: Won't happen!
Wishing you a good day and offering a prayer for your comfort.
Hope your day is great!

Yay for progress...onward and upward:egypdance:

I am willing to put together a rough outline/timeline of this event if there is interest. Though I do not wish to be boring or disregard the protocols of this site. 1 week to date from the first surgery.

We learn from others sharing their experiences. I don’t think that you would violate anything by sharing. And sometimes one person can say something in a certain way that makes sense to someone even though others say similar things ( if that makes sense!)

Your progress is good to see.

Always interested in how individuals manage recovery.
Don't know what protocols you would be concerned about?
We are all rooting for you and would love to share your journey!

Hi @SCaprae
I feel many would take an interest in a condensed version of your
story all in one space. It's difficult to read threads from the beginning
to end as time doesn't allow. For any who aren't interested, they'll
just move along.
You've suffered extensively. My heart goes out to you.
Please continue to draw on the endless support and encouragement you'll find here as you journey through.
Thanks for sharing and peaceful weekend to you!

Last edited:
December 2010/ RTHR , unknown to me beginning of issues w/ lingering pain
December 2013 / RTHR Revision due to identified staph infection / lingering pain though not as severe
December 2015 / LTHR - arthritis w/ 2 stints on crutches (6 weeks each) to allow femur to thicken/ reinforce itself at base of implant stem
February 8-2018 / RTHR removed and articulated spacer installed due to identification of same/lingering staph infection
1 1/2 days post op under medical care w/ PICC line. Released from hospital & returned home. First night was a rough one ( ready to ask to be readmitted to hospital). Made it thru , but the first 36 hours were not a "picnic". Thank you to all who offered encouragement and support. Am at 1 week plus 1 day, self administering IV antibiotics viaPICC line w/ weekly home nurse visits and labs drawn. This will continue for 6 weeks with another RTHR to occur in 3 months. Ask questions if there are and I will respond. Also shall update as this progresses

Thanks for the summary @SCaprae. While I have not had this experience it is something any of us could encounter. Sharing your experience could help someone recognize something more quickly.

Impressed you are administering iv antibiotics yourself. While three months seems far away, it will be worth it.

Take care.

Also had a PICC line and was shown how to self administer after the 2013 RTHR revision & merely needed to demonstrate the ability to do so. It is not difficult as it concists of 10cc of saline rinse, 20cc of antibiotic, 10 cc additional saline for a rinse followed by 5cc iof anticoagulant to keep catheter viable and permissible w/ a weekly home nurse visit & dressing change. Oh, cleaning the port w/ an alcohol pad before each respective dose. This also allows labs to be drawn thru the port, eliminates being "poked". Catheter lasted the entire 6 weeks on the first go round. Also my mother was a Registered Nurse & growing up as a farm boy there were frequent injuries that required ER visits/ stitches.

Also had a PICC line and was shown how to self administer after the 2013 RTHR revision & merely needed to demonstrate the ability to do so. It is not difficult as it concists of 10cc of saline rinse, 20cc of antibiotic administered over 5 minutes, 10 cc additional saline for a rinse followed by 5cc of anticoagulant to keep catheter viable and is permissible w/ a weekly home nurse visit & dressing change. Oh, cleaning the port w/ an alcohol pad before each respective dose. This also allows labs to be drawn thru the port, eliminates being "poked". Catheter lasted the entire 6 weeks on the first go round. Also my mother was a Registered Nurse & growing up as a farm boy there were frequent injuries that required ER visits/ stitches.

Thanks- that gives a very clear picture. My mom had a port during chemo so the process you described sounds very similar. Being able to do that for yourself can add an element of independence. Had my fair share of stitches as a kid!

I admire you! You're inspiring in the way you've accepted all and seem to be coping so well.
Taking it all in stride and adjusting accordingly. I understand you don't have a choice but your
willingness to take the time to share and educate us is very generous.
I know I will continue to follow your story and your posts are a reminder to lift you in prayer along your journey. Thank you.
I hope your weekend is peaceful!
@SCaprae

Tough one you are!
I also am inspired at your determination.
Keep the faith....going to be a great success story after all this adversity.

Hi @SCaprae
Thinking of you and @clodaghcov this morning.
Wondering how your weekend is progressing...
Hopefully peaceful and relaxing.
Wishing you a great day of continued healing!

Mobility, comfort level both getting better. Watched Daytona in my garage. My neighbor was kind enough to move his extra recliner there & start the wood stove. Very comfortable/ my slice of heaven. Thanks

Love the smell of burning wood.
Continued best wishes.

The healing process is actually an incredible thing. As nerves reconnect at the incision, the slight itching sensation that accompanies mild massage/ manipulation indicating progress. Seeing the swelling plateau and begin to decline along w/ mild manipulation and the ability to think/see more clearly with declining doses of pain meds. My biggest issue is swelling above the knee, calf and top of right foot. To be expected w/ the amount of "manipulation" that occurred. Incision is doing nicely, site of nerve block doing the same. Preferr dissolving stitches over staples( much less discomfort when using regained mobility) and no Dr visit for removal.

Very nice explanation of healing process @SCaprae. The process is indeed incredible. So many things manipulated and cut and moved. Nerves coming back to life give us all sorts of strange feelings. I am getting itching around numb spot on top of thigh and while it is annoying I know it means it is working back to normal. And the clearing of the brain is wonderful.

Hope your healing continues going well and you have more comfortable periods.

Hi,
I hope you had a good sleep!

So wonderful to read of you lounging on the recliner, in your garage, watching the Daytona,
all comfy and toasty warm, enjoying the things you love.

You're making the best out of an unfortunate situation and inspiring others along the way.
Thanks again for sharing. I hope you will continue to update us.
Your journey is a reality many of us fear and in sharing you will enlighten us and hopefully
dispel some confusion surrounding Infection / Revision. May you be blessed.
I hope your week is great!
@SCaprae

Have been basically just taking it easy with my feet/legs elevated to combat the swelling. Appears to be what is needed. Am presently in the garage with the fire going & visiting with the neighbor. This is for my "mental" health, Ppears to be working as well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom