Revision TKR Replacing artificial titanium knees (sell old ones?)

jschwar313

Country
United States United States
I couldn't find this on the internet, but I was told when I got my knees replaced in 2012 and 2013, that my knees where titanium and cobalt. I've heard the price of titanium is about $6000 per ounce. Is there anyway I can get the old knees and sell the titanium from them if they need to be replaced again, which they might be? How do I know how many ounces would be in each knee? I have a feeling I'll have to fight for this to happen, right?

@jschwar313 I have no idea what happens to implants once they are removed. I think you'd best ask your surgeon what is done with old implants. Is there a reason why you need to have these replaced? I guess the argument could be made that the old ones do belong to you since you paid for them when they were initially installed in your knees. Yet they might be considered a bio hazard so it's possible there could be reasons why they are not given to a patient after removal.

I've had my right knee replaced in 1/2013 and left one 3/2014 (correction from previous post). The xrays say there are changes in both knees and there is movement in both (laxity). My doctor drained 10ml of fluid from my right knee, which is the worst of them. There is pain when pressure is placed on the inside of my right leg about 5 or 6 inches below the joint. Not sure what is going on. I sent a question to my new orthopedic surgeon. Also, I've had a history of IT band issues with my right knee and had one (partial?) subluxation after the knee was replaced.

Someone is pulling your chain about the price of titanium. You can buy pure collector bars of it on Amazon for $16.00 per ounce.

Your surgeon is most likely not going to give you your old implants if they must be replaced. Even if you could talk someone into that, they would never be worth the prices you are thinking. They weigh a little over a pound each, but they would be scrap metal at best, not pure titanium. You're welcome to ask your surgeon about all this, but be prepared for a disappointment if you thought this was a way to make money. Most likely there will be hospital regulations preventing him from giving them to you. As Deb mentioned, they are a biohazard.

There is a reason you don't see anything much about this on the internet. But I did find this article about scrap metal recycling in the UK from 2012 that you may find interesting.

Last edited:
I would see if you can keep them. Conversation Pieces!!! Paper Weights? Make your own jewelry? I think people are confusing the price of scrap Titanium with Platinum.

Situation is similar to how disappointing the value of your gold crowns are. "$10 dollars!!!, I paid $2,500 for that crown!!!"

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Angelstalk1111
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom