BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Repeated Falls weakness

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by barzeen, Feb 27, 2019.

1. barzeen

barzeen junior member

United States United States
    Feeling like a broken record or whiner on here and I apologize. Both knees are in bad shape. Only getting worse by the day. So very off balance. Because of the many falls I've taken, shoulders have been weakened.

Has anyone else taken multiple falls over a period of time as a result of their knees and can relate to the off balance issue? Scheduling TKR in April, one at a time. Cannot wait. Terrified but can not wait.

I walk baby steps with cane or walker. Difficult time with work. Doing everything to avoid going up stairs to the office. Need to though at least on Fridays. I think my fear, my lack of activity has made me weaker. Now I'm sick with a cold - a new excuse to feel lousy haha..

I worry something else may be going on in addition to my knees. Although I have no reason other than never feeling like this, just asking if others have taken falls and felt this off balance, that it's not just me.

Thank you for any input. Feel like this is a child that needs constant assurance that it's ok.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @barzeen You are carrying yourself totally wrong trying to stay off those sore knees. Please keep using your walker for now and go slow. If you are off balance it's bound to feel unstable. And yes, muscles atrophy pre-op.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, keep using your walker - I did advise you to use it in your other thread. Using the walker should reduce the number of times you fall. It gives you much more support than a stick or cane.

Your muscles can grow weaker because you are afraid to walk, so you aren't using them as often as you used to.
    You're bound to get tired, too, because your body is dealing with so much.

Once your knees are replaced, your muscle strength will be able to build up again.

4. barzeen

barzeen junior member

As you advised, I am using my walker more and agree the security is there. I am walking in fear of atrophy in spite of my fear of falling. It's the others (primarily my husband) that yell at me in fear of me falling.

Started my low impact bike again and getting low weight bells for my arms but I've injured my shoulder my last fall so being cautious. Other shoulder has torn rotator cuff. Guess what I need to know is how I'm feeling makes sense because of the 2 bad knees and bad shoulders. I've just never felt like this. April can't come fast enough. Waiting on a date...

5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@barzeen It's a very vulnerable feeling. Your knees have failed and that has a major impact on your overall mobility. Just take things very slow for now. Rushing only results in falls. All this is temporary. Once you get that knee replaced you will gain stability. When both are done you will be delighted!

6. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Falling sure is frightening but being immobile is worse.
    You know the answer! Mobility aids were developed to help so use them to help you keep active and independent. That way your life will be the best it van be while you wait for the next chapter to begin.

7. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Well that's helpful - NOT! But you must try to convince him that you are taking care and that his yelling is only making you feel more nervouse.
    I don't recommend that you do this. Not just now, anyhow.
    It all makes perfect sense, so try not to worry about it.

8. barzeen

barzeen junior member

thank you for all your kindness and support... I'm only using the bike with zero impact.. my husband gets terrified when i fall so he watches me like a hawk.. ads to my nervousness.. his reaction is to yell and scream that he cant handle it.. I thank God my daughter still with us... not sure for how much longer... and that emotionally is tearing me apart...she and her boys have lived with us for over 10 years... B 4 my knees their game plan was to find a place of their own in the spring.. and they're looking... i want to ask her so bad to hold off till i get thru the surgery 4/2 but i can't... she has wanted to move and rightfully so for so long... just timing sucks...i'll miss her boys (my grandsons) 11-10-7 so much.. they don't want to leave...she's asked me to help to assure them it will be fine.. and God knows i do.. but its just hard... enough... as always thank you for your understanding and support...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. barzeen

barzeen junior member

I've read "listen' to your body (and so agree) yet they have you doing stairs and have a car you practice getting in and out 2nd day out of surgery.. I'm obese but have lost enough to qualify for this TKR..really nervous my weight will hinder my recovery.. Dr. tells me he is responsible for only 20% of my recovery the rest will be up to me..(obviously) not much keeps me down... I'm a fighter...i try very hard not to be a whiner...I do what I have to do..
    been in so much pain thinking least this will be healing pain..I have a torn left rotator cuff and sprained right shoulder..makes for using the walker challenging...and tiring...we shall see... love all the info on this site... What kind of pre -tests will be done? I see my own doctor on Thurs for release then hospital nurse PA and anesthesiologist next week...had the blood work.. not sure what else

10. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    @barzeen - I've moved your post, above, from someone else's recovery thread, because it had nothing to do with her recovery. It's in one of your pre-op threads now.

This article may answer some of your questions:
    Pre-op interviews - what's involved?

11. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's natural for failing knees to result in a certain degree of deconditioning. Once you've given your new knees a few months to heal, you can consider some strengthening efforts, perhaps work with a personal trainer or do a class that's appropriate for you, which will do wonders for your well being and put a stop to those falls. You know, aging isn't just about letting go of things. It's also a great time to re-invent ourselves (again).

12. gia2cats

gia2cats junior member

@barzeen,

As far a pre-op work, I had the blood work along with a uninalysis and EKG. I didn’t need a chest x-ray as I had no lung issues.

13. barzeen

barzeen junior member

Thank You both for your responses.. I am trying to focus on this is as a new beginning... it's been a real struggle.. for what ever the reason this surgery has me irrationally terrified... I have faith all will go well.. just trying to feel what I know..lol.. 4/2 can't come soon enough... :bath:

14. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are right about it being a new beginning.

After my first tkr I looked back and was amazed I had been getting around at all before. It truly was like night and day once my knee recovered. No more clinging to the grocery cart for dear life. No calculating how I could get as much done in one trip up and down stairs in a day...

15. barzeen

barzeen junior member

I fell again this afternoon .. I've lost count the number of falls.. had my walker but the wheel got stuck on the lip of the door entrance and i face planted..been 3 weeks since my last real bad fall..maybe i was getting too secure.. My one daughter was with me... had to call on my other daughter to help me get up and then up stairs..i live in a raised ranch.. both knees and both shoulders are bad.. surgery on right knee 2 1/2 weeks... been terrified with everything wrong i don't see any end in sight.. but today i told my girls if i complain once to remind me of the floor.. :heehee:Pride is no longer a luxury i have... i'm scared this won't help.. but have nothing to lose to try... I'm at my wits end...depression anxiety and shaking have taken over... there is more to life than just this... there has to be..

16. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

The falling must really be knocking your confidence, apart from what it's doing to the rest of your body when you fall.
    Somehow or another you are going to need to take more care of yourself both before and after the op.

Can you sit down with your daughters and talk it through to see if there are any measures to be put in place to help?

17. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Can you ask your daughters to re-organise your living arrangements, so that everything you need and every room you need to access is all on the same floor? It sounds as though your living arrangements are currently increasing your chances of falling.

You also need to ask them to do an assessment of everywhere, to remove as many trip hazards as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. barzeen

barzeen junior member

i wont lie this falling is taking its toll..because of the both knees and shoulders I need to be 100% focused when i walk.. when i act like all is ok and relax is when i fall.. i tripped over the door casing going into my first floor.. my own fault.. as a result my nerves are pretty much shot.. i shake so bad anymore just thinking of moving...ughh..one day one step at a time... i have to get my confidence and focus back... ty forf hearing mr

• Like Like x 1
  19. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Falling is pretty scary. :console2: I fell several times in the year or so before my first tkr for what seemed to be no apparent reason in at least one case. When your knee is bad your whole body gets off kilter. Tripping over the door casing could have been partially knee related. (And I totally hear you about the shoulders. I've got a bad one that makes it hard to get off the floor. )

Once your knee is recovered you will probably find yourself walking more confidently (though it's always good to be careful) because your gait will be better. One of the good things about PT is that they can help you work on balance as well, if that's needed.

Do be prepared to use the walker as you recover--as long as you need to. I like Celle's idea about having your daughters help you remove trip hazards before the surgery. I know I gave up on those cute little rugs you put by the kitchen sink. And before the surgery I even took away the floor mat as you come in the front door (until after I was off the walking aids.)

In fact, because I lived alone, before my first tkr someone from my health plan(social worker?) came to look at my place to see about trip hazards. My doc's policy (or maybe it was the HMO) to not let you go directly home unless they could see that your home was "safe." Maybe you even have the option of something like that to see if there are potential "trouble spots" and how to manage them.

I went out with a walker when I was recovering from my tkr (vanity be darned) and after the first few minutes I thought "who cares what people think?" There are tons of people recovering from surgeries etc. on crutches, walkers etc. I thought of what my mom used to say when we were growing up "people are too busy thinking about themselves to worry about what you're doing." :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1