THR Rellimarual's LTHR anterior recovery thread

I’ve been using the cane mostly at home in the past couple of days, and it feels great, except for my arthritic right hip, which is complaining about the extra work during this recovery. My discharge papers tell me not to take anti-inflammatories for eight weeks, but it’s not clear to me why. As I’m sure everybody here knows, ibuprofen is much more effective than Tylenol in treating arthritis pain. I’d love to be able to take some ibuprofen right now, but I don’t want to risk anything serious.

If you are taking anything to prevent blood clots as is commonly prescribed ibuprofen would be a problem because it also thins the blood. I found Tylenol was actually much more effective for me after THR than before, probably because you are treating different pain than that caused by the arthritis. If you are looking for relief for the unoperated hip you might try some ice on that side as well.

With you @Rellimarual about not being able to be ME DO yet. Recovery is progressing and I'm even sleeping well with a nightly CBD chocolate at bedtime that conks me out. I long to sit in a chair for more than 10 minutes, get up and down and in and out without having to think so hard! It's challenging to be patient, and the situation mandates that I learn to be. When think of recovery and patience as a growing new skill-sets, it helps.

Unfortunately sleep problems are a part of recovery. Nap during the day when you can. This is all temporary.

My discharge papers tell me not to take anti-inflammatories for eight weeks, but it’s not clear to me why.
Are you taking any blood thinning medication? Anti-inflammatory medication could cause an internal bleed. If you are on blood thinning meds this could be dangerous.

Another explanation is that studies show anti-inflammatory meds inhibit bone growth. They were all I took post both THRs. But some surgeons require you to stop taking them.

@Rellimarual - you will see that I have moved a couple of your posts and teh responses to them from the thread about depression, as they weren't really about depression and teh advice you received was in danger of derailing that thread.

Please post any general updates or questions about your recovery in this, your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?

Are you taking any blood thinning medication? Anti-inflammatory medication could cause an internal bleed. If you are on blood thinning meds this could be dangerous.

Ive been taking 81 mg of aspirin (one baby aspirin) twice daily to prevent clotting. That doesn’t seem like enough to lead to such a problem, but I guess I could skip one aspirin if I feel the need for ibuprofen one day.

If you are taking anything to prevent blood clots as is commonly prescribed ibuprofen would be a problem because it also thins the blood. I found Tylenol was actually much more effective for me after THR than before, probably because you are treating different pain than that caused by the arthritis. If you are looking for relief for the unoperated hip you might try some ice on that side as well.

Tylenol is fine for the post operative pain, which is so minimal now I’ve been tapering off, but that’s not the pain that’s bothering me right now. I don’t think icing an arthritic joint is a good idea, as cold makes arthritis worse, but I might find a heating pad and put that on the old hip while icing the new one.

I was alternating heat and cold before THR, looking for any relief I could find.

My discharge papers tell me not to take anti-inflammatories for eight weeks, but it’s not clear to me why.
Anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) are normally not advised for a couple of months after surgery for two reasons. They can thin the blood and should not be taken with a prescribed blood thinner - even a baby aspirin. But even more significant, is that NSAIDs can also inhibit bone growth. This is something that must be avoided immediately after joint replacement surgery.
I guess I could skip one aspirin if I feel the need for ibuprofen one day.
Although it could be completely harmless, I would not recommend that you do this. Blot clots are a real concern after joint replacement surgery. Trust me, you don't want one. Plus, even that one NSAID can make a difference in your body's ability to properly regrow bone into a new uncemented hip (I'm assuming this is the type of implant you have).
I might find a heating pad and put that on the old hip while icing the new one.
This is perfectly fine. Use ice or heat....whichever helps the most.

I'm even sleeping well with a nightly CBD chocolate at bedtime that conks me out.
For anyone considering self-medicating following your joint replacement - please don't! Be sure you coordinate taking ANY medications or herbal remedies with your surgeon. Things that may seem harmless can have interactions or other consequences after joint replacement surgery. For example, NSAIDs are not usually recommended following a cementless hip replacement, as it can inhibit bone growth into the implant.

CBD products, with our without THC, taken by mouth should be first cleared with your surgeon. In the case of products with THC in them, even though they may be legal in your state, they should definitely be approved by your surgeon as they can interact with other medications you may be taking. Just because something is sold over the counter does not mean it is without risk. There is a high potential for drug interaction with cannabis products and Tramadol. Tramadol alone has "dizziness" as a potential side effect. Combine it with THC and that risk becomes a major risk factor. You don't want to risk a fall with a new joint.

Although it could be completely harmless, I would not recommend that you do this. Blot clots are a real concern after joint replacement surgery. Trust me, you don't want one. Plus, even that one NSAID can make a difference in your body's ability to properly regrow bone into a new uncemented hip (I'm assuming this is the type of implant you have).

Thanks, Jamie. I’ll stay away from the ibuprofen, but it’s going to be a long 8 weeks if my hip doesn’t calm down!

Be sure you're not overdoing your activity. These first two months should be a time filled with lots of resting, icing, and elevating your legs. Of course you need to move around as well, but some simple walking about the house every hour or two is just fine. You can walk a bit outside, but only on hard, flat surfaces. If you are doing therapy, be sure it's not pushing you past just mild discomfort. You don't need to do a lot of therapy exercises at home....the walking will be just fine.

You might try Extra Strength Tylenol for your pain. Take it on a schedule of 1000mg every 6 hours so you keep medicine in your system all the time. You can take Tylenol along with prescription pain meds, but you must be sure to count the acetaminophen in your prescription medication with any Tylenol you take so that you do not exceed 4000mg in any 24 hour period.

Please let us know how you're getting along. We love to hear about the good days as well as those days that aren't so wonderful. We're here for you.

Thanks, Jamie. Ironically, my new hip does not hurt at all really. It’s the other side, the arthritic hip that’s bothering me, and the wrist on the same side, which doesn’t like the cane so much. I haven’t been taking any pain meds besides Tylenol as it is, so I guess I’m stuck with that, although it’s not that effective for arthritis. It’s a little frustrating as I enjoy the standing rehab exercises I’m supposed to be doing now. It feels good to move those muscles. But by the time I’m done the arthritic hip is on fire for supporting all my weight. Maybe I’ll go back to the supine exercises.

I’m pretty sure I’m not overdoing it as far as the new hip is concerned. But I guess I have to rest the other side of my body for a while. Last night I was even able to roll over onto the surgical side in bed, which felt incredible! I am grateful that I’ve had so little post-surgical pain.

To celebrate 3 weeks since surgery, I did an actual errand: drove to the supermarket to pick up a few things. It’s just a few minutes away, so driving was no trouble, and shopping carts are sort of like walkers, so it was all fairly easy except for bringing the heavier groceries into the house from the car. Fortunately, the garage is connected to the house, so I put a spare leaf from the dining table between the lower crossbars of the walker and wheeled in everything that couldn’t be broken down into carriable items. This gave me a huge sense of accomplishment and renewed independence! Now the only basic activity I can’t do is taking out the kitchen trash and driving the week’s garbage to the dump. My hope is that by the time it gets icy here I’ll be close to normal, and crampons on my boots will suffice.

Wow, good for you on the days accomplishments. That’s awesome!
Happy Three Week Anniversary to you.
shopping carts are sort of like walkers,
We actually have a friendly member, Eman85, who often recommends this idea of walking the store for exercise with the support of the shopping cart.

That was a pretty ingenious idea you came up with to get your heavier groceries in.

Please be careful at the dump once it’s icy. Never heard of Crampons...are they like the traction things you slip over soles of boots?

Thanks for the wonderful update. I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

Congratulations on your shopping expedition and then getting those groceries into the house in a manageable way. Quite ingenious. It always feels wonderful to accomplish some tasks after surgery. Have a peaceful evening.

Please be careful at the dump once it’s icy. Never heard of Crampons...are they like the traction things you slip over soles of boots?

Crampons are stretchy rubber covers for shoes or boots with metal cleats on the soles. The dump is actually one of the few places in my small town where you can count on the ground to be well salted and sanded! Fortunately, there won’t be as many temptations to venture to less maintained areas due to the pandemic. Even without a new THR, it can be really treacherous out there. I’m lucky I have friends who have volunteered to deal with my trash for a few weeks, as I don’t want to do the lifting for a while yet.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Merry Christmas and a blessed 2021 all rolled into one!
I hope you’re doing well and continue to enjoy progress.
Until next time :wave:
@Rellimarual

I think I’m doing pretty well. Been almost entirely on the cane for a week, although my wrist doesn’t love that. I’ve found a version of hourly walking that’s also constructive: carrying in one piece of split wood at a time so that I can start using the wood stove. One piece is not heavy and there are no stairs, so it’s a productive reason to just walk back and forth a few times an hour.

I have a sheet of exercises given to me at the hospital, but some days I feel like I’ve walked enough that doing them would be too much, if I’ve gone grocery shopping for example. I still feel a bit guilty if I skip them though. A Fitbit has proven helpful now that I’m off the Walker. It gives me a general sense of how much I’ve been on my feet and where the line between enough and too much is, although that’s changing as the days go by. I do seem to be able to sleep well, which is great, but right now everyday activities like cooking and laundry seem to be all I can handle. I’m not going outside for recreational walks yet. It’s too hard on my wrist and non-op hip, which is hurting steadily

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks