Rehab following surgery?

barzeen

Country
United States United States
Anyone have to go to Rehab for any period of time after being released from hospital?

I intend to go to my daughter and husbands as the house they recently bought has handicap accessible bedroom with a bathroom I can use.

My doctor however insists I go to a rehab for a week or so. Ii have 2 bad shoulders as well as 2 bad knees so I understand why. Just so disappointed. Dumb question what is rehab all about. Never had any experience with it.

@barzeen, while I have no personal experience with this, my understanding is that most OS’s usually recommend a patient going to a rehab facility when there are concerns about the level of support they will receive at home (or complete lack of support). That said, we do have some members who live alone yet did not go to a rehab center. In fact, one had a bilateral TKR and she managed very well.

I think you need to have a very direct discussion with your OS about the reasons he/she feels it’s necessary. If going to one is not what you want to do, I would refuse and make them justify why it’s necessary. Personally, I’d want to stay far away from them as I feel recovering at home a much better environment.

@barzeen - Do talk to your surgeon about the need for rehab, as NavyGunns suggested. Your daughter's place sounds ideal, but your surgeon may have concerns about how your shoulders will handle supporting you at first.

If you do have to go to rehab, it is wise to check out the place beforehand. Some rehab places are geared towards recovery after surgery but others, unfortunately, seem to be more like rest homes. Those places are not always suitable for recovering from joint replacements.

Yes, if your daughter's house is so well equipped and if someone would be with you for the first week or so, you may not need rehab.
If your shoulders are bad enough and your unoperated knee is bad enough that you couldn't push yourself up from chairs, etc, then rehab might make sense. At first I was mostly using my arms to get up and down with knee #1. My bad shoulder didn't like it but I could do it. Would this be a rehab section of the hospital or a nursing home/rehab facility? You'd want to check into your options.

I'm having a partial knee replacement and planning to go into a rehab facility for a week. With only 1 or 2 nights in the hospital, I need to know I can manage on my own. (And I don't want my daughter to have to help me too much. Not that she isn't going to be helpful, but she can't be my 24-hour nurse.) This way my meals are taken care of, the therapist comes to me, and I get professional monitoring. No wondering whether something is normal, no remembering whether I've taken my pills.
I'm already familiar with the facility I want to go into, and I'll be able to get a private room. Perhaps that's the difference.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom