Rehab Facility or Home after Surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wants to Walk

Hi everyone, glad to read that everyone is doing well. Certainly takes a little of my "jitters" away. I have a question for you....My insurance will pay 100% for me to go to a sub-acute rehabe center for up to 30 days. Of course, I would never consider staying that long - my poor dogs would starve since my husband is clueless on how much and when to feed them!! One time I came home and he had completely filled both of their bowls up to the top with dry food - and these were large bowels:groan:

Anyway, my husband is self-emplyed and gone during the day M-F. My daughter is home, but she works nights and sleeps during the day. Plus, my 90 y.o. father is another factor in my decision making. I founds someone in his apt. buidling to look in on him and will do a huge shopping b-4 my surgery (7/30). To be totally honest, I'm not sure my husband and daughter would be there when I need them and I don't want to impose on friends.

I'm thinking the rehab facility may be a good choice for me. At least they'll be nurses and therapists there and I won't have to deal with two barking dogs and one meowing cat, begging me to feed them. I checked out the facility (which was recommended to me by a woman in my pre-surgery class) and was actually pretty impressed. I searched on the web for any complaints, and found none. The facility is part of a nursing home, but the sub-acute unit is on the first floor, separate from the NH. Only thing (and it's not that big of thing) is that it's about 45 miles from my home. I'm 58 y.o. and never thought I'd be in this situation - just like all of us - but it's sounding better all the time. Feedback Please!! Has anyone stayed in a rehab facility? What was your experience? Thanks so much.

Lindsay

My husband works at a facility like this. They are handy when you need extra help and don't know if your home help would be up to the task. If you like the looks of things there I'd say go for it! You will have meals, meds, unlimited ice and rehab all in one place. You will be busy but will also be allowed to rest. I will tell you that the beds are not as comfortable as home but will do. If you are the person who manages the home and makes the decisions chances are your family will not pick up the slack but will contiue to expect that you keep things running. It will be good for them to learn how to cope on thier own. Your daughter should be looking in on her grandpa in your absence. I'm sure she isn't working every night.
ChrisO

Hi! Lindsay, welcome to the forum. So pleased you have joined us here. Since you are pre-surgery, I am going to move this tread to the knee pre-op forum.

Going to inpatient rehab after surgery can be a very good thing. I spent 6 days in such a unit as you've looked into. I had both knees done 2 days apart and found that only having to think about myself and be concerned with my recovery with staff to look after me was a godsend. Then when I went home, I was prepared to deal with a semi-invalid hubby and two very spoiled cats along with continuing to recover.

Even if you are only having one knee done, this can be a very good thing to do. It gives you a very good start on recovery, let's you concentrate on your needs, allows you to really get the rest you need, allows you to be waited on, and gives you time to be sure your pain management is where it need to be.

I am tagging you so you will know where to find your thread and to get this post. Take care.
icare.gif

Wants to Walk;

I had a BTKR going on five years ago---and I was lucky---when it came time to go to a rehab facility, I stayed right in the same room. I agree with the others---I think that after a TKR or a BTKR, it can be a very good idea to go to a rehab facility to get things settled until you can move forward without a great deal of help. It allows your spouse to get on with jobs, etc while you get acclimated with your new knee and how to handle things---I think that a rehab facility can act like a buffer until the real stuff at home kicks in.

My husband works at a facility like this. They are handy when you need extra help and don't know if your home help would be up to the task. If you like the looks of things there I'd say go for it! You will have meals, meds, unlimited ice and rehab all in one place. You will be busy but will also be allowed to rest. I will tell you that the beds are not as comfortable as home but will do. If you are the person who manages the home and makes the decisions chances are your family will not pick up the slack but will contiue to expect that you keep things running. It will be good for them to learn how to cope on thier own. Your daughter should be looking in on her grandpa in your absence. I'm sure she isn't working every night.
ChrisO
Hi Chris (and everyone else who has replied) I love your answer. You're so right, it will be good for them to learn how to cope on their own, and no, my daughter doesn't work every night, so there's no reason she can't help with my dad!Thanks you all for the feedback. Everyone on this thread are the most compassionate people!

Lindsay

Many of my patients take advantage of the benefits of short term in-patient rehabilitation after knee replacement. When you say that you checked them out, did that include a visit to the facility? I know its a long distance, but well worth seeing the facility in person.

Good luck!

Orthodoc

I am having spacer exchanges and going to rehab. Plan to be there for no longer than a week and then have help for a week at home. But after my BTKR, I could never have managed myself. Was in rehab for 2.5 weeks (private room and Medicare paid) and then had to have someone with me for several weeks. Someone though came at night to sleep over just for my safety. Take advantage of it. If you are not happy, you can always leave. I had a friend who was miserable at her rehab facility and they told her that she had to stay for 5 days. Of course now she knows that no one can force you to stay against your will. There were 4 women in her room and one kept on singing "Danny Boy". She promised me that when I was recovering at the end of the month that she would come in singing.

Many of my patients take advantage of the benefits of short term in-patient rehabilitation after knee replacement. When you say that you checked them out, did that include a visit to the facility? I know its a long distance, but well worth seeing the facility in person.

Good luck!

Orthodoc
Yes, Orthodoc, I took a ride out there last Friday - very clean, lots of activity in the rehab "gym" and all of the staff has been there for more than 10 years! Thanks for asking.

That sounds great. I am sure you will have a productive, pleasant experience there.

Orthodoc

Hi Lindsay, I go along with the others that say rehab facility is great! It allows for you to rest and concentrate on you and your early on recovery! I stayed for 10 days plus 3 days in the hospital and It allowed me to get some much needed PT and confidence with my new knees, plus if you need ice for your knee you can ask anytime and they will bring it to you. After going through knee replacement you will be tired and you will need pampering, after all you deserve it! Be good to yourself and take advantage of the much needed rest that you'll get in rehab!
I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery too!:friends: I look forward to reading more of your story, stay well my BoneSmartie friend!:thumb:

I understand how much everybody wants to get back home after surgery---I did, too---but looking back at my immediate recovery after the surgery, "home" was someplace that I knew that I would get to in a while. My wife was working at a major healthcare facility, and I knew that she had limited days off, so it was very convenient for both her and myself for me to stay at thehospital's rehab floor.

I have to tell you that everything was taken care of---my meds, etc---and I am pretty sure that this would have been very difficult for me if I went home---plus, I had some DVT's that needed attention.

I had PT and OT on a regular basis (twice a day) and I felt very, very comfortable at the rehab floor----everything----my needs on all levels---were taken care of and i learned how to get around and how to deal with two new knees.

While I eventually could not wait to get home, the rehab facility, at least for me, helped me get my recovery started very effectively.

I think that we have to set the emotional issue of "home" aside for an instant and think about what is best for us in the long run of recovery.

Thanks Lindsay, I have been wondering the same thing. It really helps to read the opinions here and I hope more chime in!

I am very independent and going to rehab was so helpful for me emotionally as I didn't have to get help from the family. I cannot imagine having them have to deal with me 4 days out from BTKR.

And remember, you can always check out if you are unhappy at rehab but I would give it a try if you have coverage.

Linsay, I'd say go.

I came out of hospital, where I was 100% looked after, to home where my wife had to do it. She works, I'm retired -- it's obviously a bad move put that way because I trnasferred the full weight of care to her. I should have stayed in.

In your case you feel a responsibility, and have to do things, at home. I'd say, let that go. Recovery is your time and if you can take the responsibility of your care away from your home and at the same time put some of the responsibility for your home onto your husband and daughter, it's a double winner. They really shouldn't rely on you for things that they, too, can do -- these things should be shared. You can take back some of those jobs as you get better.

A big challenge (for many other people too) is to shuck all your cares and responsibilities for a while and be self indulgent -- but it's the correct thing to do. Go for it.

I am having the hardest time even finding a rehab facility. Is that what they are called? I keep finding nursing homes and drug and alcohol treatment centers when I search that. The one place my doctor told me about when I looked it up was a Masonic lodge old folks home! My surgery will be at Mayo clinic and then home to the twin cities for rehab so won't be using the one with the Mayo. And being in touch with the doctor from Mayo is not the easiest feat.

What exactly does one search under to find these?

There are nursing homes that have rehab facilities within. Try calling the case manager at a local hospital. They will know for sure as they are the ones that make the arrangements for the patients once they are released.

Thanks! Armed with that information I finally found the one I want. In my plan Medica it was listed under:
Clinic / Other Medical Facility
Skilled Nursing Facility

Linsay, I'd say go.

I came out of hospital, where I was 100% looked after, to home where my wife had to do it. She works, I'm retired -- it's obviously a bad move put that way because I trnasferred the full weight of care to her. I should have stayed in.

In your case you feel a responsibility, and have to do things, at home. I'd say, let that go. Recovery is your time and if you can take the responsibility of your care away from your home and at the same time put some of the responsibility for your home onto your husband and daughter, it's a double winner. They really shouldn't rely on you for things that they, too, can do -- these things should be shared. You can take back some of those jobs as you get better.

A big challenge (for many other people too) is to shuck all your cares and responsibilities for a while and be self indulgent -- but it's the correct thing to do. Go for it.

Thanks Roy and everyone else for your feedback. Surgery is finally here (tomorrow). My knees are shaking (lol!). I've arranged to go to the rehab facility. My insurance covers up to 30 days - boy - 30 days sounds wonderful right now. I'll keep you posted, as I'm bring my laptop to the facility (I can lock it up when not in use). Meanwhile, you'd think I'm going on a cruise the way I packed! I'm sure I won't wear 2/3 of my clothes in rehab, but they said to pack for a week......

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks again. Next time we "talk", I will be one of the millions of bionic women & men!

Lindsay

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics