Rehab after

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferG

supremo
Country
United States United States
Who here did rehab after hospital? What is the day like? Besides 3 hots & a cot, there is PT in the am and in the afternoon and then what. Because i'm getting bi-lats I will probably have to do some rehab time. I am starting to feel (OK not starting, still feelling) a lttle emotional about the idea about being away from home, hubby, son, church, etc. My hubby will take tues. surgery day off, but I will be pretty out of it I assume, his job is new so there is no vaction days really to use so he'll work wed., and thursday he has to work 8-8 because of some management training thing, that day is also my birthday. But he is off Good Fri. and will help me settle in to rehab that day. Now we come home tonight and there is a message from his brother in Del. Going to be up to visit that weekend. There goes half of Sat. And then missing Easter and church I don't want to say no, don't see him, but it feels like more time I'll be separated. Makes me not want to go. I know Grow up, Jen, we're talking a few days to gain the rest of your life, but it just feels like it's going to be the worst week of my life. And please, know thta my husband is not a jerk, he is working the extra long day to support us and that is something I truly am grateful for, even if it doesn't sound it. Enough of the pity party. Thanks for letting me whine.

I know how you feel. My husband took off two days. The surgery day and the day after....I don't know what I would have done without him...he put me on and off the bedpan all night long (you'll be peeing yourself CRAZY from the IV)....I threw up for a day and a half from the anesthesia...he helped me with that. I KNOW the nurses are there to help but honestly, there was some really old people there that didn't have family with them...he let them attend to them and he attended to me. He didn't sleep for days! Maybe some other of your family can pick up some of the slack. Honestly, by the third day, you'll want some alone time. I had all of my family leave so I could rest!!

This is a very anxious time for you...we all were the same way. Keep yourself busy...make lists for packing...put a few casseroles in the freezer...have your bedroom ready for your return...you'll be in it a pretty good while.

pity on, sista, pity on!!

OK MORE PITY THEN, today is my first day with no ibuprphen so I don't bleed too much next week on the table. And my body feels it. Not just the knees. and I think the will have to roll me in to the hospital by next weeek because I won't be able to walk. I've got some auto immune stuff going on that always runs my sed rate real high, ergo ibuprophen & prednisone. And the Rhuemy. I am a walking blob of inflammation.

We've all been there Jennifer so don't feel bad about the pity parties. I bet I had at least 10 a day for myself. Don't forget to pick up all the throw rugs you have in the house. Those little people are just lying there waiting to trip you when you walk past.
Cathy

Whine all you like here Jen, that's what we are here for, to listen, and advise when we can. Cry as much as you like, 'cos Josephine says it is a great release for you. Just think, you may be wheeled in, but when you get home you will be back with your new lease on life. Very hard at first, then of course the ups and downs. My friend has had both knees done, some years ago and not at the same time, but she is now at 130 degrees both legs, and was climbing a ladder decorating when I called her, she is in her late 50's too. Take care. Will be thinking of you a lot. Hugs, Sue

I thank god that my Hunni was able to take the week off of my surgery, I needed her face to keep me smiling. I Had some visitors and it is good for making time go by, although I felt like who wants to be seen in this condition and feel bad that they are there. And privacy is nice. Most of us cry at some point, although there was a gentleman there who had BTKR a day before me and looked and felt great (he was atleast twice my age).

Think about how much better your next Holiday will be, make next Easter even Better.

I wanted BTKR just to get it over with but the OS I chose does not do it. So I will do it 2x.

Good luck,

NN

Jennifer, I don't post often,but really enjoy reading about everyone's progress. I can reall relate to all of your concerns because I had a bilateral done in December. I'm so glad that I did both knees at one time because I don't think that I could stand going through the whole thing again in a short amount of time. I hane some left knee stiffness now but absolutely love my new knees. I was in the Hospital for three days and in rehab for seven. I felt that the rehab was fantastic. I think that I would not have been as agressivem with myself if left to my own devices. I also was concerned about being away from home for that lenght of time,but I found that I was so busy at rehab that I didn't mind it at all, and in the process met some of the most wonderful people that I have ever met in my life. Might I add that being a nurse, I had high expectations and all of them were exceeded. By the Time I left rehab I could walk very well with my walker, go up and down steps, sit and stand without aid, and get in and out of bed on my own. I had a raised toilet seet and a tub/shower chair at home and reall did not have to ask my family for any assistance. (I'm a stuborn old mule). I'm still home, but planning to return to my nursing job next week. Scared because I have to be on my feet for 8-10 hours a day,but anxious to get back to my life as I once knew it. My best advise is to take it a day at a time and be patient with yourself. Even being a nurse, I had no idea how long this recovery really takes,because I never worked in orthopedics. Am I happy I did this? ABSOLLUTELY!!!!!! It's so great to wake up in the morning and not have to wonder if I'll be able to stand up. Good luck and know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Judy

Jennifer,
I know your surgery is really soon. I am this Friday for my second knee, my dr. wouldn't do them both at once, so I have to go back and do it all over again. My first one isn't 100% but I am just so anxious to get it all behind me.
I will think of you. Let's meet back here and compare notes. I had my first one done 1/4.
I know what you mean about cutting back the meds pre surgery, the reason I have been up for 2 nights. Exhausted, but will have plenty of time to rest up soon I hope.
Here's to becoming new women!
Kath

I'm still home, but planning to return to my nursing job next week. Scared because I have to be on my feet for 8-10 hours a day,but anxious to get back to my life as I once knew it.

And when, nurse, did you have your op? Jeepers! I am impressed - you are one brave gal to go back to nursing. I really, really wish you well. You are an inspiration. I hope you will post when you get back and let us all know how you coped and everything.

What speciality do you work in?

jannd1053 said:
Am I happy I did this? ABSOLLUTELY!!!!!! It's so great to wake up in the morning and not have to wonder if I'll be able to stand up. Good luck and know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Judy

That's fantastic! I am so pleased for you.

Hi Josephine, I had my surgery on 12/5/07. I have been a nurse for 34 years and have worked in the same institution all of those years. Talk about progress, I've seen changes that I had never dreamed of. I worked in ICU for 27years and for the last 7 I have been in what's called the special procedure unit. We do alot of different procedures, but maily any endoscopic procedures and minor surgeries. I tell patients when they ask that essentially, if they have a hole that we have something to put in it and if not we'll make one. Hope my sick humor doesn't offend anyone. Just an aside,March is national colon cancer prevention month here in the U.S. Can I sign anyone up for a colonoscopy?

Jennifer: I think its fair to say that we all have been where you are at now. I didnt go to a rehab facility after my TKR but now in retrospect, I should have gone. I just wanted to get home and away from the hospital setting. The rehab hospital is a better place to have your meds and PT managed for a few days. It also will give your family some comfort knowing that you are in great hands at a rehab.

I was told that a rehab hospital is much different than a medical hospital. They are there for your recovery, PT, pain management and encouragement.

Good luck in your decision and I will be thinking about you and keeping you and everyone else in my thoughts and prayers!

and..........this is a great place to whine because we know where your coming from and will never hold it against you. Its better to get it all out than to hold it in!

Respects,
Chuck

Wecome Judy, congratulations on your recovery, hope all goes well when you get back to nursing. About the colonoscopy, sorry but I live in Canada, my excuse anyway. Sue

I get my colonoscopies regularly. Just got a reprieve for 3 years! That was great news. First time I didn't have any little polyps to remove. I'm like the poster child for them. No bad experiences and it's worth everything you go through to know you're healthy.

Sorry all, I didn't mean to be flippant about colonoscopies. I do have a yearly check up and have to do the stool sample thingy's. I believe I would be sent for a colonoscopy if there was a problem, is that correct Judy?

For my first colonoscopy I was give some kind of stuff from Fleets to "clean" me out. I think it was sodium phosphate. It said to drink lots of water and wait four hours for it to start working. I waited for hours and nothing happened so with my usual impatient self I decided I'm bigger than normal perhaps I needed a second dose. About the time I finished drinking the second dose, the first dose hit. I spent the night laying on the bathroom floor.
The next morning the Dr. complimented me on how well I cleaned myself out. If I could have gotten my hands on his throat..........

Like I said on Patti's Diet thread, always to the poop with you guys! : - )Guys, thanks for all the support. It helps. Judy, nice to meet you and thank you for sharing your rehab experience. I tend to always look at the downs... Really all of you, if I mention names I'll forget someone like at the oscars. Yes Kathy, let's follow each other. You're Friday I'm tuesday. Did any one bring their laptop tro rehab/hospital? Thought about it but worry about safety and not getting stolen.

I used my laptop the entire hospital stay. Take my word, you won't get any sleep so you should be pretty safe with your laptop in your room.

I wasn't in much of a mood in the Hosp to use my laptop. I had taken it with me to watch movies and check the threads but I was more into my music. Lucky for me I had some good company and was kept pretty busy.
NN

nurspair, a stool test will only tell if there is the presence of blood. Only a colonoscopy can detect and eliminate polyps. Doug, you are an endoscopy nurse's dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy, I agree with T-Man on the immediate therapy. I didn't do it that way, but looking back, I think it would have gone much better for me if I had.
As for the hospital stay, I would have had no use for a laptop other than throwing it at someone. There was more than enough going on to keep me occupied, but then I'm a guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie