• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Standard Shoulder Replacement Reflexively reached for an object 15 days after surgery.

Harveyman53

Country
United States United States
I had my right shoulder replaced on November 1, 2019. 15 days post op by reflex I reached out to grab a can opener that I had dropped and got a severe jolting pain. I am worried that I could have damaged the shoulder. I contacted the doctor but they said nothing could be done at this time to check it. It just feels different. Not a lot of pain. No swelling that I can see. I continue to do my exercises and don’t have much pain doing them. I am using ice after every exercise session. I discontinued my opioid use six days after surgery but have begun to take one oxycodone at night when the pain is the worst. Has anyone else had such an experience and how did it turn out for you. I am extremely worried at this point.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Harveyman53 Welcome to BoneSmart! Is your surgeon refusing to see you? Wonder why?

You probably have significant soft tissue inflammation post op that was aggravated by that grabbing activity. If you are still able to do your execises and the pain has eased it sounds like you are back on track. Keep up the icing and do take your pain medication. It's very early days for you post op.

My fellow admin @Jamie had her shoulder replaced in February. I've tagged her so she can come along and comment on your post.

OP
OP
Harveyman53

Harveyman53

Country
I only got to talk to his nurse and she said that at this point nothing could be done to test it for damage. I guess it is just a matter of time to see how it goes from here. I do have an appointment in 4 weeks. The 1st post op visit was a day before my accidental reaching event.
Thanks for that insight it is reassuring. Truthfully it is the main reason I joined this wonderful group. Doctors, if you even get to speak with them, and nurses don’t give much information and little, if any, reassurance.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Hi, Harveyman53 and welcome to BoneSmart. Since you had a standard shoulder replacement (versus a reverse replacement), there are some cuts that are made in your muscles. The tissue is reattached and this is one of those reasons why the surgeon usually makes you wear an immobilization sling for 6 weeks. Those tissues must heal and it is possible for a movement or lifting or even turning over in bed can pull things loose.

When I had my shoulder done this past February, my situation was that my sub-scapularis muscle was so very tight that the surgeon was not sure it would hold. He warned me to be very, very careful. But, I did have an incident not quite like yours, but where I moved a bit more than I should have when not in the sling.

I was told the same thing...just be careful, ice and rest the arm. And stay in the sling, especially at night when sleeping. They said if the muscle had torn loose, they would not operate again for a while to repair it. So I was to wait and see if the pain went away or worsened. I was in therapy, of course, and my therapist felt that everything was fine and I just made the tissues a little angry. She was right. The shoulder was fine and she consistently worked on that muscle to loosen it up.

So....my questions to you are:

1. Are you in an immobilization sling and, if so, how much are you wearing it?
2. Did your surgeon mention any issues with the reattachment process or that your muscles were unusually tight?
3. Are you in therapy and, if so, how much longer will you be going?

I'm pretty sure you're going to be just fine. But you do need to be VERY careful with this shoulder until at least the 8 week point in recovery. Things are still healing big time.

OP
OP
Harveyman53

Harveyman53

Country
Thank you for responding to my question. In answer to your questions: I am not in a immobilization sling and have not been. Just a regular sling. They started me doing exercises the day after surgery in the hospital not much mostly just explaining the exercises. He did say that I had some tissues cut or reattached but I don’t remember exactly what that was. He did not say that my muscles were tight that I’m aware of. I am in therapy but when I went to see the doctor for my two week post op appointment my surgeon cut my PT down to once a week from 2x because I was already ahead of schedule per my physical therapist. I have not been back to my PT since my incident but go back this Friday. I will make sure if she doesn’t already know that she knows about what happened. I am going to be even more careful than I have been which except for that one incident has been very careful. Thank you for your information and for some reassuring remarks in your commentary. I will keep this thread posted as to how things go. So glad I found this forum.

knee#2

Country
Following.. I fell face forward 12 hours after my TKR in April and quite sure I tore rotator cuff but awaiting MRI ..

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
It sounds like you're doing the right thing, Harveyman.....let us know how things go.

OP
OP
Harveyman53

Harveyman53

Country
I hope so. I go to PT Friday and I’ll post after that.

OP
OP
Harveyman53

Harveyman53

Country
PT went well. My therapist thinks I am doing very well and right on schedule! I will keep posting here as my recovery continues Looks like I dodged a bullet!

Pumpkln

Country
Good news, all is well!
Thanks for you updates, looking forward to hearing about the rest of your recovery.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Glad to hear things are going well. I had a feeling you were going to be just fine. :thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mitzi107
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom