BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Referral time from GP UK

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ldm380, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, first time posting here.

I saw my GP nearly a month ago. I had a private MRI that showed bone on bone left hip (no wonder I have been in so much pain walking). I had not heard anything from doctors so rang and they told me that if they don’t get funding then I will not get a referral.

My question is how long will it take to see if they have got the funding? They told me it could be weeks. Has anybody had to wait for funding and if so how long did you have to wait?

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! I'm afraid you went about this back to front. The best way was to get a private appointment for a consultation with a hip surgeon and then ask him to take you on as an NHS patient. But you can still do that if you have the £200 or so for the consultation. Would you like me to find you a good hip surgeon in Hertfordshire? I know the area well as I used to live and work in Harlow.

You will also need to tell me your local hospital.

3. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi Josephine, I'm in Cheshunt, so local hospital would be Chase Farm. My brother in law had a knee replacement with Mr Harold Nwaboku who I'm told has a good reputation, but would love any further information on other surgeons. I have already paid for the MRI as I thought it may have been muscular, so at this stage would gladly find the money for a private consultation. Thank you

4. Apricot

Apricot senior

This is shocking. I could imagine them putting you on a start point of Muscular Skeletal first. Have they told you why they have to apply to fund a referral? Is it because of age?
    The very best of luck to you. Bonesmart is the place to be.

5. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi Apricot I’m not sure why they have to apply for funding I will find out. What would the start point of muscular skeletal involve? I am so naive i just thought that I would go to the doctors and the ball would start rolling for treatment. Luckily I have never had to be referred for anything so all very new to me. Thank you for your support Apricot.

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Ldm380 Welcome to BoneSmart! Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of this rationing of care here in the UK. Some areas are eliminating any "elective" orthopaedic surgery.

I did go the route Jo suggested above. Saw the consultant privately and then got on his NHS list. You stand a better chance of getting treatment if you establish a relationship with the consultant. A private appointment gives you time to do this. You can also ask about wait times for surgery at this meeting.

I looked at Harold Nwaboku's numbers in the National Joint Registry and to be honest I would not recommend him. He has very low THR numbers. You want someone with hundreds of THRs performed in a year. Mr Nicholas Garlick has better numbers and sees private and NHS patients at Chase Farm. Josephine has more first hand knowledge.

7. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Thanks Jaycey, looks like that is the route I’m going to be taking. To tell the truth I don’t care if the best surgeon is in Timbuktu I will get there somehow! Will rule out Nesboku and will look into other surgeons based on how many procedures they have done.
    I am so glad I found this site and so grateful for the support

• Like Like x 1
  8. Apricot

Apricot senior

Your first step is to get another GP appointment or a telephone advice call. Get that booked even before you decide who to see. You can always give the secretary the address details later.

Ask the GP if they will prepare a referral to Mr Surgeon of your choice at your chosen hospital. Ask how long it will take.
    Talk to the appointments team there, be careful they usually offer rapid appointments. They will usually request the referral on your behalf. You may have to supply a cd of your mri in advance of the day.

The BLOCKING point is the GP referral. If that one refuses ask another. If still refused ask for the reasons in writing and take it further. As a last resort,private hospitals have GP services.

Very good luck. Here to help if I can.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Apricot

Apricot senior

Sorry forgot. MSK is a NHS physioclinic where they have a range of steps offered: exercise, injections into a joint, painkillers, walking aids etc. Some local health areas insist you spend time in this waiting area. Helpful for some people a cruel delaying tactic to ration care for others.

No reason why you shouldn’t have an opinion on your hip. Presumably a private physio did the MRI referral?

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi yes @Apricot private physio referral for MRI. I did tell the GP that I was seeing a physio. I gave GP print outs of MRI report. He didn’t mention anything, pain killers, injections... nothing. I’m on a mission now to be so informed that hopefully I won’t look so wet behind the ears next time I go.

11. Apricot

Apricot senior

Yes I was niaive and uncertain when I started. Know what it is like. Be aware joint replacement is severely rationed now in the U.K. every Primary Care Trust has its own criteria for referral to hospital..whilst I received an immediate referral after 1 X-ray I was told 2 years later that shouldn’t have happened that I should have been sent to MSK.
    You need an expert opinion of what your health and treatment needs are. You are most likely to get that at a private consultation from the sound of things.
    Consultants have a strange language for this. You need to know if you QUALIFY or are a CANDIDATE for joint replacement. They usually respond in the NHS if you ask this very directly, especially if they have been vague before. If they say no ask why not.
    In the NHS you may be asked to use a walking aid, take more and more painkillers and say your pain score is a high one if asked.. restriction of movement, muscular skeletal imbalance, aches and pains usually aren’t sufficient. Maybe you will be told to come back in 2 years or lose weight etc.

I got the runaround for two and a half years. Eventually selected a surgeon saw them privately; totally different honest experience..I’m 7 days post op. His comment was it was totally justifiable based on the wear in my joint and would only have got worse. Already I am aware of an alignment not there before and a release from tortured muscles and pelvis.

Always happy to help.
    @Ldm380

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Good news funding has been agreed and I have a referral....over the moon but now the panic and worry sets in. I just hope the consultant agrees that it does need doing. Promise to post updates. I have read your post Apricot and hope your doing well in your recovery, there is so much to take in post surgery.

@Apricot

• Like Like x 1
  13. Muffikins

Muffikins new member

Hi Jacey...OK - so now I'm SERIOUSLY worried re the surgeon with whom I have booked; Mr Guy Paremain. I paid to see him privately at the Nuffield for speed of appointment & becasue he also works next door at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, wher I am a patient for a huge number of other health probs. I have seen him before both privately at at the RSCH for my on-going spinal probs. I feel it's too late to change course now as just about to confirm my op-date of 2/8.

14. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi @Josephine the best waiting times for me are at BMI Cavell hospital, Rivers Hospital, Kings Oak Hospital. Can you recommend any surgeons from these hospitals if not Chase Farm Hospital is a longer waiting time but willing to wait to get a good surgeon. Thank you

15. Josephine

@Ldm380 So what's wrong with the NHS, Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow or even RNOH Stanmore?

No, it's because of funding! If a patient elects to go to a hospital in another area, that area will always bill your area for ths cost of treatment. Often as not, it's okay but there can be sticking points like expensive chemo treatments that are already available in your area.
    MSK is just a fob off point. They have a 'consultant' in charge but s/he will never recommend you see a hip or a knee surgeon, just keep you going there. Waste of space in my opinion and sending the poor patient on a long road of increasing pain with no hope of proper treatment.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi @Josephine i am looking at Harlow hospital now. I’m researching the surgeons there. I was quite shocked that I got funding so quickly maybe because I had MRI reports in hand and have been having physio. The NHS are making so many cut backs, leaving people in pain should not be rationed.

17. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Hi There! I had to wait two years from when I saw my GP, got x-rayed etc. But that was because I was very overweight. Was told to lose 2 stone. Did so. The pain got worse and worse. Back in October I was referred to the Consultant. He told me to lose more weight but that I was a "candidate" for THR. Saw him again in March and he decided to put me on the list. Waiting list at my hospital 18 weeks. I could not lose any more weight despite trying hard. Have op date in two weeks time. NHS.. so I feel for you as I have had a lot of frustrations on the way! Stay in touch. My Consultant does around 150 hip ops a year...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi @SurreyGirl , I have been in pain for years just thinking it was muscular thinking I wasnt stretching enough after gym. I saw a chiropractor, sports massage finally saw a physio who said to get an MRI. That’s when I found out I had bone on bone, and a tear. Straight to GP then had to wait a month to see if I got funding which I just found out the other day. Just booked my consultant at Harlow and managed to get an appointment for 27th July. Im just hoping that the op will be this side of Christmas, the pain when walking is as you know excruciating. What they don’t seem to understand is when it’s painful to more how the hell can you be asked to lose a lot of weight! I am praying that they say I’m a candidate. Good luck with your operation, you have waited so long x

19. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Thanks LDM. I went through similar, thought for a long time I had groin strain through weightlifting! Pain now is pretty bad so I really hope the nhs will be on time for this. Once the consultant agrees to the op I ha to wait 18 weeks. Hopefully you will get your op before Christmas x

20. Josephine

Any luck, Ldm?