THR Referral for a good THR Doctor in the Houston Tx area

Luv50

Hi I'm new to this THR area,
I have been told by two Doctors in my Houston Tx area that I need a THR. The first Dr said you need a hip replacement when he walked in the room but he didn't stay in the room long enough to even explain his surgical approach. He just said come out here and my staff will get you set up. I stopped him halfway out of the room to ask what his protocol was for anti-coagulant therapy before and after the surgery. He stopped and said," a baby aspirin twice daily two wks before and after and it works great". I then said well where do ou do surgery and he said across the street and he was gone on to see the next patient. The second Dr is great but he uses an anterior approach. He has strict guidelines with a BMI of 40 or less and I am at 45. I needed to lose about 35# before I could have surgery with him. I have great respect for him as a surgeon but I am in a lot of pain, bone on bone with a bone spur. My activity level is rock bottom and I am not sure I can wait to get my surgery done and hoping to lose the weight in 6wks!. I would appreciate any references for great THR Drs. in the Houston Tx area. Thanks!

man there are a lot actually, biggest thing is probably making sure they are in insurance, names in my head are, Clyburn, incavo, le, lionberger, they are all at Methodist, brian parsley at U.T. Physcians, there is also the Fondren group, brian parsley did not do my surgery but has done my follow ups, I am currently deciding on him or incavo to do my next surgery. Just a word, if you go see on of the docs in the Methodist group they do not like for you to see another within that group.

I am sure seeing a lot of differences in the preferred approach. I heard from on Dr that the posterior approach is better because there is less risk of Post op hip dislocation and others say no the anterior approach has less risk of dislocation. I also have seen documentation that says the posterior approach can now be done as "Muscle sparing" which was the big deal for the anterior approach. I then read that there are more limitations with the posterior approach post operatively.
Thanks for the referrals for the two physician noted above. Any thoughts of good surgeons on the Spring ,The Woodlands or Conroe Tx area? I am willing to drive if the best ones aren't in that area. I have to live with the results of the surgery a lot longer than the few trips to the Drs office. Anyone had any experience with a Dr Kreuzer in the Houston Tx area? Thanks

I am sure seeing a lot of differences in the preferred approach. I heard from on Dr that the posterior approach is better because there is less risk of Post op hip dislocation and others say no the anterior approach has less risk of dislocation. I also have seen documentation that says the posterior approach can now be done as "Muscle sparing" which was the big deal for the anterior approach. I then read that there are more limitations with the posterior approach post operatively.
Thanks for the referrals for the two physician noted above. Any thoughts of good surgeons on the Spring ,The Woodlands or Conroe Tx area? I am willing to drive if the best ones aren't in that area. I have to live with the results of the surgery a lot longer than the few trips to the Drs office. Anyone had any experience with a Dr Kreuzer in the Houston Tx area? Thanks

I can tell you that I had posterior approach when I had THA in 03 and I have not had any limitations, I live in the spring/woodlands area, I live off of Rayford road, I am sure there are some good docs in this area but my preference is to go to the medical center, because those docs do a lot of replacements, they each are doing 300 + a year, I am going to be getting a surgery soon and both docs I have consulted with do posterior and said no limitations after the first 6 weeks.

Here are some surgeons in the Houston area for you to check out. We've had members with successful surgeries with Dr. Kreuzer, so he would be a good option for you to consult with. Meet with at least 2 or 3 so you get a good feel for who is a good match for you.

Houston, Texas

Dr. Stefan Kreuzer
346-571-7500
Specializes in primary and hip revisions

Dr. Robin Goytia
713-799-2300

Dr. Vasilios Matthews
713-581-8152
Specializes in primary and hip revisions (only on patients where he has done the primary)

Dr. Albert D. Cuellar
281-440-6960
Specializes in primary and hip revisions

Dr. Terry A. Clyburn, MD
713-363-7948

Thanks for all your good input. I will be scheduling an appt to see one of them soon.

Does anyone have experience getting more than two Doctor evaluation on total hip replacement surgery? I know Medicare will cover two evaluations. Thanks

@VSlowLife
Didn't you get several consults?
Not sure, but thought so.

Yes, I did. But no more than two a year. You can pay for a third consult yourself no matter what your insurance covers regarding the number of consults.

Check with the doctors on what insurance they will accept ( some in-network vs. some not) and ask for the code(s) they bill for, before you call your insurance. The doctors’ offices can also give you an out of pocket expense amount, to anticipate for their services.

Didn't you get several consults?
Not sure, but thought so.

Hi @Luv50
Sorry to be confusing.
I was tagging VSlowLife to ask her about the consults to see if she had any insight that might've been helpful to you.
I hate that you are dealing with the pain of a bad hip...it is miserable.

You may be entitled to another consult for 2020, though Medicare, if you only had one in 2020. You may wish to call them to be sure.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562