THR Redwoods’ THR (Anterior)

Redwoods

Country
United States United States
Hello All,

This site provided me a lot of good suggestions ahead of my THR (Anterior) this past Tuesday, October 31. The surgery went well once they got my spinal block going after a few false starts. Tough first night since my surgery block and meds wore off suddenly but I had to progress through the hospital protocol for staging meds. Happily, I was up walking the next morning and after some training on using a cane, etc., came home Wednesday. The first couple of days, though, I was surprised by the pain in the joint and the feeling of unsteadiness since in the hospital, I had motored along pretty well.

Today, 3 days after surgery, I am walking a bit better but very, very carefully. It’s fine when I’m standing up straight and using gravity to bring my operated leg (right) forward but deliberate forward motions have me yelping. I’ve taken the advice here to stay on top of my meds so that I can walk every hour, as my surgeon asks, and to get some decent sleep. Getting up in the night to hit the bathroom is still an adventure but staying hydrated remains important.

I alternate large ice packs, which do provide a lot of relief. So far, standing in one place for more than a couple of minutes gives me soreness but that seems logical. It’s hard to be patient but I am slowly accepting that my body will recover on its own terms if I let it.

Best of luck to everyone and thanks for all the great insights!

I had anterior hip surgery on Oct. 10, so I'm just a few weeks ahead of you. I encourage you to read (and follow) the advice on this website - so much wisdom here! My first week was rough, pain, log leg, peeing every hour, trying to adjust meds, etc., etc., etc.
I'm three weeks, 3 days past surgery and if anyone told me then, how well I'd be doing now, I don't think I would have believed them!

Others will tell you the same, I'm sure, but rest, ice, and elevate! Ice is still my best friend!

So, congratulations and I hope your recovery is uneventful!

Thanks for the encouragement.
Sometimes it seems like recovery will be super slow, but hopefully it develops a little momentum after a while.

Have you started driving yet?

I agree @Redwoods - sometimes it seems recovery is slow, but looking back, it took a couple of years for my hip to get to it's worse. Progress keeps happening, but we all seem to go at different paces. Since I had a lthr, I think I was driving around the 3 week or so point, short distances. Just short trips, but it was nice to know I could drive. Give yourself time!

You got new tie rod and ball joint. Your body is still a little freaked out and injured. Let it chill before you try to make it perform. You'll go faster if you go slower...
Glad you're on this side....

Everyone's recovery is very different, but beginning in the second week, I saw improvements almost every day. I went from the walker to a cane after a week, and now, I don't use anything. I am thinking about getting trekking poles for uneven terrain. I measured even small improvements (able to get my own breakfast/ice) - I was my own cheerleader. It felt so good to become more and more independent.
I am planning on driving around my neighborhood this weekend, so I can drive to a friend's house next week. My right hip was replaced so I wanted to wait.

The hardest thing for me was patience. I had to keep reminding myself that my job was to let my hip heal. Rest, ice, elevation. Very little PT, but I do walk ... it's so easy to overdo, then progress becomes much slower.
Ice has become my best friend.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I’m not used to lying about all day when I’m not feeling sick but it’s just part of the process.

Agree on the ice, although bringing the heavy pack from the freezer is still a little dicey. I have a family member here for 2 more days and then mostly on my own. Good thing I love to read,

I used a tote bag I could sling over my shoulder to help me carry things - figured that out after only being able to carry one thing at a time. Could carry ice pack and water bottle in one trip, not two - felt so smart-

Hi @Redwoods Im 4 weeks 3 days post op and found the first two weeks quite a challenge! However i really noticed a huge difference in week 3 and more so week 4! I saw my surgeon yesterday who lifted all restrictions however told me to listen to my body to guide me to my limitations. I have been on crutches non weight baring since the op. so yesterday day was very exciting to be walking with one crutch, such freedom :0)
I know it's difficult to be sitting around a lot, it drove me crazy! But give yourself this time for everything to heal properly it will be worth it in the long run. Sending you best wishes and keep on icing :0)

Much appreciated. Always good to hear from folks who can speak to the improvements that will come. Just need to accept that it will take time but the end result should make it all worthwhile.

@Redwoods Welcome to the other side. I'll post your recovery list here so you can refer to it is needed.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had LTHR last June 19 and vary happy with the outcome.still a little sore,numb and swollen but a vast improvement over the arthritic hip. And still improving. Having RTHR done on Nov 27.

Lol, Red Skelton.

Still trying to figure out how to stay hydrated while avoiding overnight trips to the bathroom. Not sure there is a solution...

Good to know things are still improving several months out. Does your left hip still restrict your movement?

Best of luck with the right hip.

This site provided me a lot of good suggestions ahead of my THR (Anterior) this past Tuesday, October 31.
Let's see if @Jaycey or another moderator can add your surgery date to your signature.
Really too early to be worrying about what you can't do.
All post op business...all temporary hopefully.
Best wishes

@Redwoods i've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Are you on your own today?

The first week is the worst - the second a tiny bit better (at least for me). My problem in the early days was I was so tired and couldn't concentrate on anything - the days were so long.

If you are alone this week and have visiting PT, maybe you can use them a bit. If you are a bit shakey when washing up, etc., you can ask them to be there for that. No reason why PT can't be part of daily living activities.

Thanks for checking up.

Although every day I feel a little better, I also feel tired despite not doing much, I’ve cut my painkillers done by at least half but am not in agony, just a bit more sore. I had help yesterday but from my regular cleaning lady, who was able to change the sheets (a nice boost) and making the place look less like a wreck. She’ll be back tomorrow for a couple of hours. I do expect to start PT outside the house assuming clearance from my doctor at the first post surgery follow up on Monday.

I did have a question about ideal nutrition, taking into account recovery, lingering constipation and longer term interest in losing weight to extend the life of the new hip and the expectation of increased physical activity. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Yes, I can identify with being tired. It's been 4 weeks today since my surgery and I'm still so tired. However, I haven't taken a nap in a few weeks - which may be due to my 8:30 bedtime now.

Do have to take exception to you stating you're tired even though you aren't doing much - you are healing and recovering from major surgery - that's your job!

What worked for me for lingering constipation was a combination of Metamucil and stool softeners- prunes and figs, etc. just weren't enough.

I'm not an expert in nutrition, but for now, I'm just trying to eat healthy and not worry about calories for a while.

Good luck with beginning PT - please be sure to read the advice on this forum about not overdoing PT. For me, I'm stretching and walking, doing more around the house, and I'm waiting on PT. Got my trekking poles today so I can walk a bit off-road tomorrow!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom