Revised PKR to TKR +PKR - Redsta Recovery

Hi there,
I had a right knee arthroscopy about August 2018, Medial Partial KR February 2019, Revision to Right Knee (partial now a full), medial partial to my left knee April 2020.
Thanks for the birthday wishes

Hi
Im a bit desperate for help, I had a double
PkR 7 weeks ago, left knee is doing ok,, right
Knee is pretty painful, kicks in when I put weight on it, pain is below the knee on the
Left side, I cant walk for more than 5 mins,
Surgeon xrayed and that was ok, said could be soft tissue but didnt seem to know, can
Anyone help, its far worse now than before op

Hi Kitty,
Sorry to year things are not going well. You posted as a reply in my thread though so it might not get seen by the people that can help. You need to start a new thread if you dont have one or find your thread if u have one already. I hope some people can help

@Kitty5193 Welcome to Bonesmart! We can help advise you once you start a thread in this Recovery section. Here’s the link, just click in the bar that says Post New Thread, and start writing. We look forward to getting to know you!

Hi All,
I am 2 weeks post Partial Medial Replacement in my left knee and a revision to total knee replacement in my right. I thought I would document here as going back through my posts has been valuable in actually remembering what happened last time.
I am doing well - managing the pain and getting some sleep at night. I had my first rehab session yesterday 1.5 hours seems extreme. 45 minutes with physio and 45 minutes with exercise physiologist plus 40 minute car ride each way. ( I have 10 of these sessions provided by the hospital rehab clinic and free through my health fund - I'm in Australia) None of it hurt too much at the time but my body is always like that it will battle through and then pull up sore later so I need to be more aware of this. My extension on my left is 2 degrees extension on my right 3 degrees. Flexion on left is 93 flexion on right is 97.
I am currently staying at my Mum's house - hubby is staying home with our 3 year old daughter and 5 year old son and visiting me in the day so I can get proper sleep. (lol the most sleep I've had in 5 years!)
I have a pretty good routine going and am taking my meds on the clock at the moment.
Hope everyone is going well!
Date of surgery was 16th of April.

@redsta :flwrysmile: What a good progress report and happy for you that you are getting respite from your little ones as peaceful healing in the early weeks is so important your husband is a champ.
I have asked my senior advisors to edit your new surgery date.
1.5 hours on PT is far too much - the longest session I had on a TKR was 30 minutes and that was at the end at almost 3 months- such a long session will just inhibit your healing all that will happen is your knee will swell and you'll have more pain.
To get a good ROM all that is needed is time, my Rom actually improved on its own after I gave up PT just with my daily living activities and walking.
Stay safe xx

Thanks Sara61 yes agreed it is a strange set up for PT. Sometimes I will work with an OT and when my wounds are healed it will be quite a bit of hydrotherapy. But I am definitely going to have to half butt the exercises (totally against my nature) so as not to hurt myself!

I agree that 1.5 hours of PT is MUCH too MUCH on newborn knees. Add to that your 80 minutes of traveling time, that is a terrible stress on your baby knees. You can not speed up your healing by exercising, but you can slow it down by doing too much. All your knees need is gentle movements, doing your daily activities.

Rest, ice, and elevation, along with your daily activities is the best way for your knees' recovery. It takes time, lots of time to heal from this major surgery.

I am now 4 weeks post op and I'm going ok. The Left PKR is going quite well and moving smoothly. Bend is 107 and extension is -2
The right TKT is worrying me a bit as there is clicking at the top of the fibula on the back of my calf. It hurts as hamstring tendons go across the fibula. The bend on that side is 101 but it is definitely not moving as freely as the left. The physio massaged the area deeply but I've come out very bruised and sore and the clicking is no better. I am doing 1.5 hour rehab sessions twice a week. I have learned that I have to be a bit slack or I will end up completely sore and swollen the next day. 30 mins PT 30 Mins physio and now 30 mins hydrotherapy. I like the pool sessions but it is also easy to overdo it because it doesn't hurt. I can get a full rotation on the bike on my left knee but only 3/4 turn on my left. I am icing and elevating at least twice a day if not three times. Any input appreciated :)

I am doing 1.5 hour rehab sessions twice a week.
Way too much activity! You are only 4 weeks out. And you are not in training - you are healing. Please give that knee a break and stop all this. Sore and swollen is not a result.

I am doing 1.5 hour rehab sessions twice a week.
Way too much activity! You are only 4 weeks out. And you are not in training - you are healing. Please give that knee a break and stop all this. Sore and swollen is not a result.
I know this but it is a requirement. I have to do 10 sessions post surgery it is linked to my insurance (I'm in Australia).It is the rehab clinic attached to the hospital and it is specially set up for HIP and knee rehab ‍♀️

You can go to the PT sessions, since you are required to do so, but make sure that you don't do any exercises that go beyond discomfort into pain. Pain is a warning sign that you are doing more than your knee is yet ready to do.

Also don't do multiple repeats of any exercise. It's your knee and you have the right to say what happens to it, so tell that therapist to be more gentle with the massage.

Both your knees are doing very well for so early in recovery. There's no need to rush, in spite of what the physios are probably saying.

Thank you Celle yes I am getting very good at not doing repeats of exercises and taking it easy - even when I do that it's often too much. The clicking on the right side is really concerning me. They say it is the hamstring attachments going over the fibula? It does it everytime my knee gets to a certain point. Any ideas?

Thankyou Sistersinhim - puts my mind at ease a little bit. Fingers crossed. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I am 5 weeks post-op and on Tuesday my left PKR swelled up. I do not think I did anything to cause this. I am being very careful not to overdo it and am elevating and icing at least three times a day. I am really worried as this is what happened to my right knee at 6 weeks that never came good and has now been revised to a TKR after a year. I am trying to be rational and I know we have good days and bad days but there is no reason for it to have suddenly swelled. Any ideas?

I am trying to be rational and I know we have good days and bad days but there is no reason for it to have suddenly swelled. Any ideas?
Yes, you might have stressed it somehow during the night. Some mornings I'd wake up being worse than the day before and not being able to point out why. We constantly move around during our sleep and could easily have stressed our knees. Another thing that affects our baby knees is the weather. Early on weather changes had a negative effect on me.
the-road-to-recovery-jpg.57877

I had another PT session and I pretty much refused to do anything because both of my knees are not feeling good. My left (PKR) one swelled up 4 days ago and I'm struggling to get it to go down - despite icing, elevating and resting. My right (revision to TKR) one has a click near the head of the fibula - the physio thinks it is the popliteal muscle and has started working on it but it is definitely a concern. I am trying do hard to keep a positive attitude and not get ahead of myself. One day at a time. The people at rehab supported me in my decision to not do exercises which I was pleased about.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom