THR RedbirdFL's Recovery Thread

RedbirdFL

Country
United States United States
Hi, just a quick check-in for now, to let you know everything went well with my LTHR yesterday. It was outpatient surgery and I was home by 4:30pm. Today, I'm in a little bit of pain, but it's not too bad, and so far, my leg isn't very swollen. I am very tired today and have a little bit of a fever, but I know from reading through other's threads that that is typical. I had a home nurse come by today and PT will be here soon.

I'll write more later because I want to document the last 24 hours for me, and for anyone else.

So glad all went well and welcome to the healing side! Ice and elevation will help with any pain and swelling. They were my best friends post op (besides my hubby, of course. Lol) Looking forward to that next update.

I’ll also leave you with a little light reading full of great tips.
HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogelthrough BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Arrrrgh. I have been in pretty bad pain since the PT left. She wanted me to get my own leg up on the bed using a leg lifter that she had. That's fine, and I understand that at some point I need to do that, but my sweet husband had helped me last night and was very gentle. I mean, geez, I was only about 24 hours out from surgery - can't a girl start off slow?? The PT "helped" me with the belt and it hurt so much - the most pain I've been in since I first came out of surgery. (And I had taken my pain pills about an hour before she came.) Then she had me do some exercises and most of them were okay, but she did have me do the heel slide that I see now that y'all have listed under the worst exercises. Ugh.

Since she left I have been icing my leg. I've been getting random cramps in my left thigh too. I just took two more of my painkillers, so hopefully, it will settle down soon so I can sleep tonight.

When she or one of her coworkers comes back on Thursday or Friday, I will NOT let them hurt me like that again.

Thanks for having this space for us to be able to vent, along with the VERY good advice y'all have. Appreciate you lots!

I am sorry you're in pain.
It is your choice whether to allow PT to come back on Thursday and Friday. You do have a right to say no to therapy. Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to? You also have a right to say NO to anything that hurts while in a therapy session. It is your body and you're the one that has to deal with the pain.

It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Hopefully with lots of rest, ice and elevation you'll feel better tomorrow. Give some thought to holding off on PT and see how you do on your own. At least until you're 6-8 weeks post op. Then, if there is something you want to work on, go back. Naturally it is your choice, but please understand that many recovery just fine without it.

I wish you lots of comfort as you begin healing.
@RedbirdFL

can't a girl start off slow??
Yes, and it's up to the girl. I was going to respond to your original post and tell you to ice a lot and you might be able to keep the swelling at bay. I guess now that you've got pain you'll be icing a lot. I think Thursdays and Fridays are the best days to not do PT.

I wish half these PT people had hip replacements, then they'd know what folks go through, ARGHHH!!!
When I was in hospital I needed to get up to use bathroom and CNA came in and kind of just dropped my surgery leg to floor from bed, I almost fainted. I told her that I just had my hip replaced and needed her to lift my leg.
I swear, some medical people aren't too bright.

Thanks so much for the sympathy, empathy, and wonderful words of advice!

I had a fairly rough night and ended up spending about half the night in my recliner, which felt much more comfortable than my bed. I've just had all my meds and am having a bagel with blueberry cream cheese, along with coffee, provided by my sweet husband.

Later today, my plan is to come back and write up my surgery story so that I'll have it. It's nothing traumatic or unusual, but I'd like to capture some of the memories. :)

My surgery was on Monday, March 27. DH and I got to the surgical center and they pretty quickly took me back to one of the cubicles. I didn't like the nurse I had. He seemed very matter of fact and not personable at all. At one point, I let him know that the IV in my hand hurt, and he said that was just the way it was and was probably because of the tape. He didn't even look at it to see if something could be adjusted. Fortunately, he left after a couple of hours and someone else replaced him. But I wouldn't say any of the nurses on the pre-op side were too hands on or chatty. And they weren't very busy - I know because my cubicle curtain opened right up onto the nurses station, so I was practically sitting at the nurses station with them! Thankfully, they let my husband come back there with me until they took me away to surgery. It ended up being a long wait. I think my doctor either had an issue with an earlier patient or maybe he had an emergency surgery to work in to the schedule. We got there at 8am, and it was noon before they took me back. They kept putting stuff in my IV to help relax me - Celebrex, Hydrocodone, and I don't remember what else. So I never did get really nervous because they kept me pretty loose, lol.

Thanks to some things I had read at BoneSmart, I decided to have the spinal anesthesia, if that's what the anesthesiologist recommended, and she did. She was great, really sweet and did a good job explaining everything to me.

Finally, a nice orderly named Jose came to get me and take me back to the operating room. He was really sweet and gentle. He's the one that held me while they put the spinal in, and afterwards I thanked him for holding me during it and he said something about it being like a nice hug. It was comforting to have that be my last memory before I passed out. Because that's basically what happened when they laid me on my back on the table - I remember nothing after that! And they hadn't even given me the propofol yet, at least I don't think so!

The next thing I remember is about an hour and a half later when a male voice urged me to wake up. It was the recovery room nurse. But I wanted to keep sleeping, lol! He was great, chatty and nice. He gave me some medication and some apple juice and shortbread cookies. I told him I was queasy so they brought me a barf bag, but I didn't need it (yet). They dressed me and let my husband come back there with me. We talked a bit and he was giving us some post-op instructions. Thank goodness, my husband remembers more about that than I did! I don't remember too much about that part of the day.

Then, he told us that once I went to the bathroom, we could go home. So I said that I thought I could go, and they got me up on the walker, showed me how to use it, and we headed for the bathroom. Well, I got about 8-10 steps in the journey and said that I thought I was going to throw up. Hubby handed me the barf bag and I did throw up all those nice shortbread cookies and apple juice. And maybe the meds too! My nurse was right there with us, but several other nurses came running when that happened. They put me back in my recliner that I'd been in in the recovery cube. They wheeled me down to the bathroom in that and back again. I felt much better after throwing up.

Basically after making sure I was okay, they removed my IV, had my husband go get the car, and sent us home by 4pm. So I had the surgery about 12:30ish and left the surgical center 3.5 hours later! Once we got home and got me settled in my recliner here, I promptly went to sleep and slept for about an hour. After that I ate a little and we watched some TV. No problems with using the walker to get up and go to the bathroom.

The doctor said I could sleep on my back or my side (a big WOO HOO for that!), but I didn't sleep great. I had my husband take me to the bathroom a couple of times (I don't usually get up to go in the middle of the night, but they had pumped me full of fluid at the surgery center.) I also took a pain pill partway through the night. Yesterday I took several naps and was pretty much doing okay until PT came yesterday (story above).

Sorry that's so long. I just wanted to capture all my thoughts for me and in case it would help someone else who might be wondering what a first 24 hours could look like.

The first week or two is most difficult then slow but sure it gets better, there will be milestones in your journey, you will most likely join the ODIC (Over Did It Club), I'm a two or three time honorary member! LOL!
Just remember to ice and elevate and not worry about PT right now. Just walking around your house 5-10 minutes a day several times a day for now is good. If you can get outside even better.
We are here for you as you navigate your own personal journey.

I'm doing okay today. I took my outer dressing off, with the doctor's permission and I seem to have fracture blisters. What do I need to do about these? Do I need to call my doctor?

The home nurse was here today and took pictures of the blisters and was going to send them to my doctor.

I'm tired. I feel like I'm sleeping most of the day, even when I haven't had painkillers for 12 hours.

I'm tired. I feel like I'm sleeping most of the day,
Yes, that's normal. Your body uses a lot of energy to heal from the surgery, leaving very little for other things.
We call it Energy Drain:

Sleep as much as you need. It will allow you to heal.

How will I know when to switch from walker to cane? I asked my home PT this question today and she said that my gait needs more improvement before making the switch. I'm in no huge hurry to switch, but after this week, my home PT will end. The agency has told me that my doctor may prescribe more home PT, outpatient PT, or no PT. Because I don't like doing those exercises they want me to do (ha!), I'm not in any hurry to have any more PT, but instead to focus on my walking around the neighborhood.

How did you fellow hippies know when you were ready to switch from walker to cane? And then from cane to nothing?

Hello and Happy Monday Redbird :wave:
Transitioning from walker to cane -
Everyone is different. I feel it's really up to you and when you feel comfortable enough. Personally, I began transitioning around eleven days post op. Some do earlier and some not until weeks later, in which there is no shame.

I wanted to test the waters and did so with hubs on one side and a wall on the other so I felt surrounded by some stability in a sense. I started by walking several feet to see how it felt. I was a bit fearful initially, not going to lie.
As the day progressed I grew more confident and began walking circles through my LR and Kitchen. I did pay for it the next day as I overdid it! Ice and rest helped and I was back to normal the following day, but slowed my roll.

Consider asking your home PT if they'll allow you, and assist you, in practicing. If the thought scares you, wait another week or two and if you're in outpatient PT, have them guide you toward transitioning.
I am sure others will weigh in. I hope you have a good week!
@RedbirdFL

I progressed after a couple of days but I had been walking with two sticks for a while before the operation and I suppose I was used to them.
I didn’t leave the house for about ten days though, all my walking was up and down inside.

One day about week 3, I just got out of bed and took steps without thinking. I realized my body was telling me it was time to move to the poles.

By week 5, I'd find myself forgetting to take up my poles. I would have come off both poles entirely but for the uneven sidewalks in my area and a residual limp.

Because the limp (on the nonoperstive leg) is still not responding to therapy, I continue to use one pole outside. Nothing is worth a fall. Indoors, my limp dictates if I use 1 or 2 poles. Many days I don't need a pole at all inside. But other days if I don't use the poles, my limp gets worse as does the pain.

So my advice would to be listen to your body. I was repeatedly warned by bonesmart staff not to walk unassisted with a limp, and it's been good advice.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about ditching your walking aids just yet. You will know when you are ready to transition, but it's very early in your healing game to be thinking about it yet. Even when you do feel it's time, you may decide a day or two later to resume using your walker/cane. And there's nothing wrong with that!
Like others have said, the important part is to stay on your walker or cane until you can walk without a limp.
You mentioned some blisters, how are you doing with those?

I'm doing okay today. I took my outer dressing off, with the doctor's permission and I seem to have fracture blisters. What do I need to do about these? Do I need to call my doctor?
I also recently suffered from post op fracture blisters- huge blisters adjacent to anterior incision. The doctors and nurses where adamant about not piercing them as that would increase the likelihood of infection, so they were well dressed and waterproofed every day, sometimes twice a day depending on how much they leaked. Was luckily not painful or itchy but was a pain in the neck. Also set my hydrotherapy back a week. Four weeks later they’ve completely healed apart from the fact the skin is still a little raw.

Wishing you best of luck in your recovery.

You mentioned some blisters, how are you doing with those?
The two that are on the lower part of the incision are doing good and almost dried up. The one that's basically in the crease of my leg (groin area) opened up when we removed the dressing on Thursday. The home healthcare nurse on Thursday put something on it, but didn't tell us what it was, nor leave any samples.

I called the home healthcare agency about it on Friday because my husband said it looked "angry". They said they would have the PT look at it when he came on Saturday. He did look at it, but as he said, he's not a nurse. My husband's been putting triple antibiotic ointment on it along with a gauze pad to try to keep the area dry. Also, my high cut panties had been irritating it, so I ordered seamless boy cut panties and they feel so much better!

So, we're keeping an eye on it, and it's better, but not healed. I see my ortho's physician assistant on Thursday and will ask him.

Thanks for asking!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks