Hip Infection* Recurring Hip Infection

Thank you for joining us and trusting we understand and have your best interests in mind. It's nice to read that you're feeling encouraged here and enlightened by Jamie's insight and direction. Let's tag her to be sure she catches this and see if she has additional advice to offer @Jamie

Please know we're here for you and will continue to follow your journey offering support and encouragement. It's understandable that you're nervous, we all are going into surgery. Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind and an uneventful surgery and recovery. We're with you all the way! :console2:
@acgolden9

So I have my Pre-Op for what is hopefully my last surgery on the 21st. I am trying to put together a list of questions to ask my doctor and I was hoping some of the members might have a few suggestions on some questions I should ask. Here are the questions I have so far.

What is the post-op game plan for keeping this from happening again?
How common is my situation and what is the likelihood of another occurrence?
What if infection comes back? Will I go thru the same thing all over again?
Is there a chance that I could lose my leg?
How many of these type of surgeries have you performed(a little late in the game to ask I know)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't have any questions to add to your list, I think what you've compiled is an excellent start and your questions may lead to others through conversation with your surgeon. Reading the article (VSlowLife) left above may also help you add to your list of questions. I hope you can either record the visit or bring someone with you for a second set of ears. Retaining all that's shared in the allotted time an appt allows is not always easy.

Remembering you in prayer and sending best wishes for your appointment on Monday. Please let us know how it goes. We're here for you!
I hope you have a pleasant Friday and a peaceful weekend. :SUNsmile:
@acgolden9

@acgolden9
I found a good article by an infection control doctor from the Hospital for Special Surgery website, regarding hip infections and different factors which may contribute to getting a hip infection. It also covers difficult hip infections and different protocols which may be used.
Maybe you can gleam some questions from the article?
https://www.hss.edu/conditions_prevention-of-infection-joint-replacement.asp
Wow. Thank you so much for this article. I learned a lot and I am glad to say that my current surgeon is already following most of the pre-op preventative measures. It also gave me a lot to think about for post-op preventive measures. I think a few life style changes may be in order...(with my history it certainly couldn't hurt.) Thank you again

While I don't have any questions to add to your list, I think what you've compiled is an excellent start and your questions may lead to others through conversation with your surgeon. Reading the article (VSlowLife) left above may also help you add to your list of questions. I hope you can either record the visit or bring someone with you for a second set of ears. Retaining all that's shared in the allotted time an appt allows is not always easy.

Remembering you in prayer and sending best wishes for your appointment on Monday. Please let us know how it goes. We're here for you!
I hope you have a pleasant Friday and a peaceful weekend. :SUNsmile:
@acgolden9
Thanks Layla. Have a great weekend!

Hi, I wish you lots of luck with hopefully your final hip. I am sort of in the same position as you, I am on my third bout of infection over the last 6 years, at the moment i have a spacer in from last aug 2018.,i have been off antibiotics for 10months now. With my infection team and consultant we are waiting until next year to contemplate another hip. I am very well and managing really well with this spacer,of course crutches and only tip toe makes things challenging. I spend along time thinking whether i can face going through it all again, but i guess we shall see what comes along,I am driving and travelling and really leading a busy normal life and its hard to think it may go pear shaped!! In the past twice my spacers were so painful but this is not too bad. I shall look forward to hearing how you go. I do cross question the team about everything and then research myself, im sure they get fed up of it, but like you having had sepsis 3 times is horrendous. Hugs and strengthxx

@acgolden9 You’re welcome. It was a good thing for me to read, too. I will need to be more cautious when I attempt yard work, after my surgery.
I am very glad you have someone else who has been on a similar journey, who joined your thread.

@acgolden9 I just read through your thread. You sound determined to get some answers from your surgeon/doctors and I think they will respect you for it. I've always felt that the more we know the better we will handle everything. The problem is, I didn't learn this either, until a serious medical issue happened with one of my young sons. From that moment and going forward, I study and research to the point that most doctors will ask me what I do for a living. :yes:
If it doesn't feel right, you have the right to re consider and opt for a different surgical team.
Hopefully you won't feel like you need to do that, but you have the knowledge to know it's ok if that is the direction you need to go.
Good luck on the 21st. I am wishing for you the best in the outcome of that appointment.

@acgolden9 What a very interesting article. I had my first hip in for 17 years, and had it aspirated ready for a new hip and the next day thought i was dying,i was admitted with sepsis.I had a root canal filling and although covered by amoxycillin it still got to my hip. The feeling was that an infection was in the cavity and on aspiration it flooded into me, i had been working in the medical sector but always had thigh pain which nobody could identify. I was in hospital for nearly 6 months with loads of problems but after a 2 stage revision fine. 6 years later i just had really bad pain,went to physio,massage and nothing helped, finally my gp did bloods and i was admitted in the night with crp of 400 and so thestory goes on I am sure you do not want to hear anymore,however i now have an emergency pack of amox 500 and nurofarantin for uti always with me incase symptoms start. We are continually learning and i know if i have another hip my life will change because of all the previous surgeries but appreciate so very much all the help i have received especially from Bonesmart. Hugsxxx

Hi, I wish you lots of luck with hopefully your final hip. I am sort of in the same position as you, I am on my third bout of infection over the last 6 years, at the moment i have a spacer in from last aug 2018.,i have been off antibiotics for 10months now. With my infection team and consultant we are waiting until next year to contemplate another hip. I am very well and managing really well with this spacer,of course crutches and only tip toe makes things challenging. I spend along time thinking whether i can face going through it all again, but i guess we shall see what comes along,I am driving and travelling and really leading a busy normal life and its hard to think it may go pear shaped!! In the past twice my spacers were so painful but this is not too bad. I shall look forward to hearing how you go. I do cross question the team about everything and then research myself, im sure they get fed up of it, but like you having had sepsis 3 times is horrendous. Hugs and strengthxx
I hate that you are going thru all this but I do appreciate the feedback from someone who understands my situation. You are a strong person to endure all you have gone thru. My surgeon has told me if I have another infection that I will have to go thru all this again and that the spacer would have to stay in at least a year. Sometimes you wonder how much more you can take but try to stay focused on the positive things in your life. You are in prayers every night...Hugs and strength to u as well!

My Pre-Op went well with most of my questions answered. @clodaghcov gave me some good advice to add to my arsenal as well. It took me awhile to understand that my lifestyle needed some adjustments and that there will be limitations on what I can do but stressing over it just makes it worse. Have a much better outlook thanks to all the positive feedback I have received!

:wave:@acgolden9
Glad preop went well and you only have a week to go.
I wont suppose to know what you are going through but please know we will be cheering you on.
Never estimate the power of positive thinking and the good vibes from lots of Bonesmart friends.
Hope today us a good day.:SUNsmile:

Last edited:
Thank you Mojo333. It has definitely helped me and given me a positive attitude. I hope I can return the favor to others that may be going thru the same situation or any situation for that matter.
Having a great day and hope you so as well!

Hello and a Happy Thursday to you!
Good to hear your pre-op went well. Also happy to hear your questions were answered and you're feeling less stressed over it all. We'll continue to be here for you, you have our support.

I hope I can return the favor to others that may be going thru the same situation or any situation for that matter.

You're doing that by taking the time to share your story here for others and we thank you for that. Wishing you comfort as you await your date. Not long now.

Enjoy the day!
@acgolden9

@acgolden9
I found a good article by an infection control doctor from the Hospital for Special Surgery website, regarding hip infections and different factors which may contribute to getting a hip infection. It also covers difficult hip infections and different protocols which may be used.
Maybe you can glean some questions from the article?
https://www.hss.edu/conditions_prevention-of-infection-joint-replacement.asp

Hi @VSlowLife, I sure do appreciate that article. Although it's pretty darn scary to read some actual truth, it's good information to have bookmarked. Thanks for sharing.

Westy

You’re welcome.

Although it's pretty darn scary to read some actual truth, it's good information to have bookmarked. Thanks for sharing.

The first thing my visiting home nurse asks me, “Do you have any open wounds or cuts?” The agency is ranked on % of clients who get infections. I had five agencies to choose from.

Hi @acgolden9,
Wow, I’m so sorry to read you have endured so much with your hip infections. It’s just heart breaking.
I’m 2 months post op with first stage of the 2 stage revision and just can’t imagine how I would cope if it were to reoccur. Wishing you all the best.
Hope you are doing well x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks