• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

PKR Recovery!

So sad about your kitty. I know you’ll miss her.

Also if I try to kneel or attempt something that resembles a yogic childs pose my knee balks and I get pain behind the knee when I straighten it out.
It sounds like you are doing great. I am so sorry about the loss of your kitty.
Go very easy with the child's pose.
I still don't put my weight back in it at 15 months.
I used to love child's pose for my back but I now think it is very hard on the knees.

I used to love sitting on one or both knees on a chair or on both knees on the floor.
I think it was because I have lumbar arthritis/ spinal stenosis and it relieved my backache. Also I was pretty hypermobile and it was easy to bend fully at the knees.
There are lots of articles and debate about the risks of W sitting and Seiza ( Japanese sitting) pose for the knees.
I think the consensus is that whilst it is not necessarily harmful it can definitely worsen existing knee damage.
I am pretty sure I exacerbated my knee with sitting back on it.

There are lots of articles and debate about the risks of W sitting and Seiza ( Japanese sitting) pose for the knees.
I think the consensus is that whilst it is not necessarily harmful it can definitely worsen existing knee damage.
I am pretty sure I exacerbated my knee with sitting back on it.
After my ACL graft/medial meniscectomy I adamantly refused to sit seiza in the aikido dojo, not just for seated techniques but even to bow in and out (created much consternation!). I always did standing rather than seated pins.
The orthopedist who did that surgery told me he treated people who tore their medial meniscus getting out of some yoga poses.
A key problem is many of us don't know we have predisposition to injuries until after they occur (I too have joint laxity!)

So sorry for the loss of your kitty, Snowdrop. Sending a hug, Liz :console2:
@Cyclegal

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and I am wishing you a sunny Friday and weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Cyclegal

Hi @Layla and everyone, 3 months seemed to be the magic number, and I felt waaaay better than I have in a while. I'm out riding my bike (about an hour), hiking longer distances (6miles) doing my home PT and pilates. I still get sharp jabs in the back of my knee and hopefully those will go away, I notice my hamstring gets sore too, all is activity related like harder efforts on the bike. Have my ortho appointment next week and hope all is OK!

I'm sleeping better, still using my ice machine after exercise, and before bed. I'm almost done with the sweater I was working on in the hospital. Progress!

Liz

Great update!
Do back off a little bit if you find need to rely on frequent icing to manage.

Lots of progress, Liz!
Thanks for the update...and just think, it's going to get even better.
Have a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Cyclegal

4 months later.....
I have minimal soreness, back of the knee, sometimes in the calf and hamstring, and what I assume is the tendons. At my follow up 2 weeks ago, my surgeon thought the calf pain may be due to the baker's cyst which will resolve over time since the joint effusion has improved from pre op. Tendon issues likely overuse. My guess is they are getting used to new alignment. I do notice improvement and am able to do more and more activity, building up very gradually and monitoring how I feel during and after bike rides, hikes, yoga (home videos with modification only), pilates and strength work. Scar is still tender, I can kneel but it isn't pleasant.

I'm definitely in a better place than pre op, won't sugar coat what a rough ride the recovery was!

Wishing all of you the best for your recovery journeys

Liz

Thank you for updating us!!!

I'm definitely in a better place than pre op
Glad to read this! And, remember, you are only one-third of the way through this year-long recovery -- so you will continue to improve.

All the best!

Yep, I'm now in the "glad I did it club" (is there a GIDI club??)
Haha! There isn't, but there should be.
I don't recall for certain, but I believe it was one of my colleagues that once said, often times your surgeon isn't the first one you see for your initial post op visit, but instead their PA, because the OS wants to let enough time pass so you're no longer despising him for the pain his skilled hands caused you, lol.

Glad you're finally realizing you're in a better place, Liz. Thanks for the update! :)

5 weeks yesterday! The rest of my body turned 67 the day before.

I'm delighted with my results, only some discomfort if I am kneeling and then straighten out my knee (pain in back of knee..) I'm doing all my usual activities and even *gulp* getting into a bit of running (baby steps, like 30 run steps on an incline on a trail with my "hikervals". Doing cycling sprint workouts on the stationary. Still a bit nervous about cycling in a group as I am very crash wary.

I didn't think at 4-5 months I would be able to be this active, but yay. @Roy Gardiner you are my cycling inspiration!

Hang in there full and partials...I honestly think there is a magic day when suddenly you can sleep and the pain is gone.

Liz

@Cyclegal - you gave me a WHAT!?! moment with doing all this at five weeks :flabber: til I realized you meant months :heehee:

You're doing GREAT!!!! Keep it up!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley