Bilateral TKR Recovery

Im going into week 3 ... I’m tired & I only had one TKR... I think you are doing amazingly well ... I’m in awe of you having both done & not being a blubbering mess.. I would be.

My leg feels like cement too... bending... OUCH....not measured mine & no one else has either... Once the swelling has gone down they will bend.... You are doing so well Minnie... just do what you’ve been doing.. a little moving... lots of resting & it will be good... such early days for BTKR...

Keep positive... thinking of you... xx❤ :console2:

You have done so well, with both knees I can't even imagine! I'm amazed at the people posting here that have there surgeries back to back, then I read of the bilaterals, just like you, and I'm just flabbergasted! You are very brave and much of your nausea and adjustment are the well needed pain pills.

I was told in the hospital that Zofran actually helps the pain medications work better, because they are synergistic (? sounded good to me, I needed both and my pain was well controlled in the hospital?) I didn't have the Zofran at home, didn't need it quite as much but lost weight also! I have gained that weight back now though.

My knee feels more like there is a rubber band around it at all times, but Pain really started dissipating around my 5th week. You have a bit more to go, but you're very close! Hang in there ...blessings to you on this journey! Keep resting and be kind to yourself!

I'm so in awe of you- most of us struggle in coming to terms with just one knee and you are just amazing having bilateral.
Keep up the icing /resting and gentle exercises, you will get there eventually and it will be great to get your life back with two new knees. likewise I'm 3 weeks post op on Thursday and am now looking forward to the day I am allowed drive again I hate being dependant on other.
Keep your chin up and think positively xxx

I've gotten the "your brave" a lot. What people don't see is the crying and going insane from pain, no sleeping and being so dependent on others. Started out patient pt today. I think this place will be good to me. Rom before surgery was 90 and we got 82 today. So I'll just be happy with that! Side note starting yesterday I've got this sharp pain on the inside of my knee I can barely stand on my leg. No clue why but I feel like it's going to start hindering me. I have to remember to be patient but it's really hard sometimes. I really appreciate you all here

Figured I should update since I went to my 3 month follow up today. Even though it's more like 3 and a half. So since my last post I saw the doctor at about 4 weeks. He was not happy at all with my rom. So we decided to do bi lateral manipulation before I was 6 weeks. I went in at 60. He said he was able to straighten and bend them all the way while I was under. I woke up to being on a cpm machine for both legs. Order was to be on it for 23 hours a day for 2 weeks! That was pretty terrible. Trying to sleep with these big bulky machines in my bed and not being able to do much was extremely difficult! Went back and rom was 95. Plus the manipulation pain wasn't too bad after. Now I can't say if it helped or not but my feeling is that it did. Went back to work part time at about 7 weeks after surgery. That didn't last long as far as part time. They gave me a promotion because they realized they needed me too much while I was gone. With the promotion also came more hours! I've been working 50 hours a week on my feet the whole time for about a month now. The right band finally disappeared at about 6 weeks. I don't miss that at all. I feel fabulous finally. They straighten perfectly and rom is at least 130! I've even knelt but on a pillow only. I noticed that days I don't work I definitely get stiffer cause I'm not moving as much. But honestly looking back I never in a million years thought I would be able to say I'm happy I had this done!! Now mind you they do still swell including my feet and ankles. And I do still get stiff when resting. And occasionally will be hurting. But it's amazing when you actually go all day and your like.....I didn't even think about my knees at all

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are doing great, especially when you say you can go all day without thinking about your knees. Congratulations on the promotion at work. I had my bilateral TKR on Wednesday. Today will be my first PT evaluation. I have my fingers crossed that they will be compatible with the BoneSmart philosophy.

After you got off the cpm machine, what kind of PT did you do? You obviously got the ROM that you need.

Good for you! :cheers:

This is a great update and encouraging to me especially where you deserted.

Thank you for the update. It is nice to see that the end result of your bilateral TKR is "I didn't even think about my knees at all. "
There is not a lot of feedback on bilateral TKR so your feedback does encourage others.

At week 6 I also had a Bi-TKR and things are going well but I still think about my knee's 24/7. I can only stand for about a hour before I have to get off my feet.

There would be no way I could think of returning to work yet. You are a animal!

Doing PT 3 times a week but both legs are really sore after and the next day after knees are so stiff.
Ice wraps are still my best friends
Thanks and with your story look I am looking forward to week 12 and return back to normal.

I appreciate the update! It gives me hope for a good recovery with my bilateral in Mar

@bikinglynn I didn't do any pt the first week. The second week I was on it I did go 3 times. I started back to pt 3 times a week for about 2 weeks then I started back full time working. I didn't honestly have the time for pt then.
I will tell you all this..... after surgery and weeks following were extremely difficult. I gave up hope. I was questioning my existence the first 2 weeks. I was really bad off. I'm thinking mostly because I was in the mindset that I was younger and totally helpless. And also pain meds do nothing for me at all except make me sick! But I saw it through and every couple days things got a little easier! Ido still use my ice machine on bad days. I don't know where I'd be without that! I really hope you all the best and a speedy recovery. But only as speedy as knees allow.

I'm convinced this is an endurance test. We all think in terms of getting by until the next hour, day, week, etc. I know I'm getting better when I'm thinking about doing little things that give me pleasure. Number 1 on that list is making contact with friends.

I was warned this would be hard, and that is true. I was also told I would be happy that i did it, and I look forward to that becoming true.

I think you are doing great!

@Minnie77 Minnie, i didn't see your post earlier about the 3 month update. your honesty is more appreciated than you'll ever know. like the other gentleman said, not a lot of bi-laterals posting out there. thank you for sharing your journey. its really been helpful and encouraging

@Minnie77 - which ice machine do you use? Did you need 2 ice machines? I appreciate your updates - my bilateral is in Mar

I am only using one ice machine for my bilateral recovery. I would not buy two! To ice both at once, I use an ice wrap on one leg when I have the other leg on the ice machine. An ice machine is a investment in your recovery. Not just the first 12 weeks. As recovery will really take a full year and you will be using it off and on all year, ( and can also be used on other body parts). I got the Polar Product Active ice and it is a very good product about $200 on Amazon and there are several others brands that are about $100.
With this product you can buy an additional pad and do both legs at the same time with one cooler

@pamsknees I bought Breg polar care cube at my doctors office. They have an attachment for both knees to be iced at once! Best investment ever!

Thanks @Minnie77 - you have reinforced my decision to get one. The surgeon said ice packs will work fine& I have no doubt they will, but I am willing to pay for extra comfort & convenience. It sounds like anyone who uses an ice machine raves about it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom