THR Recovery---Ups and Downs to be Expected?

Hi @Ruth123 and belated happy birthdays! I just turned 71 and can honestly tell you that I'm jealous of your recovery!:heehee: Your trip to Spain, coming where it did in your recovery timeline, would have sidelined me for months!

Regarding your new pain, I am no doctor, but if I were having pain like yours now, I would figure I had climbed way too many stairs. I did the same thing early in my first recovery. I had anterior, so my pain was concentrated in the hip crease anyway. We vacationed (a 500+ mile drive that took forever because we stopped every 90-100 miles and walked around for half an hour to help my hip) when I was about 4 months out. I'd been doing my version of really well, but also lived in a single-story house so had no stair climbing practise. Vacation house has two 16-step flights and I hiked up them cheerfully and energetically when we arrived. When I got to the top I realized that was a big mistake. I had plenty of pain all over the hip. I wasn't walking much more than 2 miles several times a week at that point, but my limit suddenly became one mile and not all at once. That took a few months to resolve. I'm hoping your surgeon can reassure you!

My opinion is that all of my usual aches and pains would be there even if I had 2 perfect biological hips. I figure if something is wrong with the implant itself, I would be in no doubt whatsoever.

Keep calm this coming week, and keep resting!:ice:

Back from Dr. appt.

Long exam testing range of motion, pain level, strength test, some poking and prodding.

He said it was soft tissue damage, not the implant. When I said I was still worried, he sent me down the hall for an x-ray. Five minutes later back in his office where he already had the image. He compared it to the 1-month post-op x-ray (Sept. 2022) and was genuinely delighted! He showed me how the bone has built up and filled in gaps since my surgery. Kewl, as the kids say. Or as the muchachos say down here, Que Chido!

Gave me orders to rest another week while taking a muscle relaxant+NSAID pill daily. Then start doing some basic exercises.

Whew, what a relief!! He is such a lovely man; his son has now followed in his footsteps as an ortho but specializing in spine and back.

I am so happy with my medical care here in Mexico!

Attachments

• ruth hip xray 2023.png
    ruth hip xray 2023.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 39
  • ruth hip device.png
    ruth hip device.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 41
All good news! I hope you're able to relax since receiving this reassurance and you feel better soon.
Happy Thursday, Ruth! :)

Happy 1st Anniversary to me!

I saw my ortho last week and he sent me down the hall for a new x-ray. All is well and he said, See You in Two Years!

Just curious, is this standard practice time-wise on follow-ups in other Countries? I reside in Central Mexico where my surgery was performed.

is this standard practice time-wise on follow-ups in other Countries
Not done here in the UK. We see the surgeon about 6 weeks post op for an x-ray. Then most people have a check with the surgeon's more junior staff at 6 months and then 1 year post op. After the one year mark we don't see the surgeon again unless there are complications.

Happy One Year Anniversary!

I believe you will find a variation of timing for follow up visits from member's, due to the differing opinions of surgeons. Some may recommend every five years post op, but definitely sooner if there is a problem. My surgeon never recommended a timeline for future visits at my one year post op appointment.
Thanks for stopping by, Ruth. it was good to hear from you! @Ruth123

Happy Anniversary and thanks for the update. So glad to read that your one-year check up went well!.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts