Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
L

LAman

Country
United States United States
Hi - thanks for the input. I am told i will be non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks, but i'm not sure if i am allowed toe-touch - I will ask. I'm interested in your statement about using the CPM for 6-8hrs a day - is that normal? I realize I don't have information on how long to use it, perhaps that will come in the info packet I get at surgery. I was told to start using using it 24hrs after surgery, and to break it up and use it throughout the day, until I start therapy. I'm expecting to start therapy after the first week I believe. Additionally, it's been recommended, and I plan to follow the recommendation, that I get blood restriction therapy, as a means of preventing muscle atrophy, and to help with regaining strength in my muscles - i'm not sure if that will helps prevent the condition you experienced?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm interested in your statement about using the CPM for 6-8hrs a day - is that normal?
The CPM machines aren't used as extensively as they once used to be.

After your surgery, @LAman, using one will be just to keep your limb moving, without weight-bearing, not to increase your Range of Motion.
You will be told how long to use it each day.
Do make sure that it is set so that the amount of bending it causes does not hurt.

I plan to follow the recommendation, that I get blood restriction therapy,
I hadn't heard of this, but I found an article about it:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6203234/

Rockgirl4

Forum Advisor
Country
I can't help with CPM usage, as they have gone out of favor with most TKR surgeons and many other surgeons as well. My procedure was long and complicated back in 2015, so things have changed considerably. I can't even say the CPM did me any favors really. I'd definitely ask your surgeon for specifics.

Momma-me

Country
I had an OATS procedure with a patella femoral replacement and MPFL imbrication (tightening) all done at the same time.
For whatever reason, that surgery did not work for me and (VERY LONG STORY short), my knee never recovered. I think it was too much all at once and something was not right inside.
I ended up 2 yrs later with a TKR.
Hindsight is 20/20 and knowing what I know now, I would have gone straight to the TKR 2 yrs ago. Again, being that I was a "younger" and active pt, the OS was always trying to "salvage" my knee.
I know it can be successful for some people, but unfortunately, it wasn't for me.
Feel free to PM me if you want more details.
I certainly wish you all the best!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
attyboy