Lounge Doctor

Recovery Time

Ms. Osteo

Country
United States United States
TSR done Friday AM. Home for lunch. Today is day 4 and I am tapering off the heavy meds. Best thing I did to prepare was to test drive lift chairs. The one we rented has let have longer sleep periods than before! A note for shoulder pre-op folks: your sling will go OVER your shirt so pick one that soft and smooth under the tight sling. Also, we bought walkie talkies so husband could sleep in bed with me on the first floor in my chair. Thanks to all for all the tips. Best to all for fast and full recovery.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Ms. Osteo Congratulations on your surgery! It's wonderful to hear you are home and doing well! Walkie-talkies = great idea :yes!:

OP
OP
M

Ms. Osteo

Country
At the one week mark and had a total emotional meltdown. Pain+not much sleep+ didn’t arrange for enough help post-surgery. Hubble tired of being the caregiver. I’m sure it will get better but sure would like to shut off the waterworks. Embarrassing!

OP
OP
M

Ms. Osteo

Country
Not sure how to post an update. But here goes via a reply : week 2 begins with easier time. No downtown office visit drama (over 2 hrs and very tiring). Shower, shampoo, a roll for breakfast. Turns out the meltdown yesterday predictable due to too-fast opioid withdrawal plus depressive effects of cytokines involved in healing of tissues. Same chemicals that make you feel lousy with flu are making you have headaches, fatigue, and no appetite. Down to sling only and only when I want it. Waist strap on immobilizer cut Into my gut and ribs-so nice to see it go. Week 2 so far beats week 1! Hang in fellow recovering folks!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Ms. Osteo your posting is just fine - in the right place. Great update! Sounds like you are doing very well. Handling all the challenges after shoulder can be tricky. One day at a time!

OP
OP
M

Ms. Osteo

Country
No one mentioned the discomfort of the immobilizer. I could not take a full breath with it on and got scared Day 2 post-op when I started a painful deep cough. Turns out the complicated straps were removed and replaced wrong on my device while they were helping me dress in recovery. It took both my kids (a doctor and an engineer), my husband and me to get it configured right. Still uncomfortable, tight and unyielding, but not cutting off air! Today (1 week from surgery) first day I felt sort of normal and not like I was fighting influenza. I am now allowed to spend as much of home time out of the sling (which they released from the bulky belly pad at the office yesterday) as I want and just use it to sleep if there is the chance I will throw that arm around or harm it.

sleeping is quite hard; no comfortable position available and I am off the heavy meds thatdo the trick no matter what! Dying to try the bed but sure I will roll onto my arm. Any ideas?

thanks for support and so many good ideas. Stay positive everyone snd be safe.

OP
OP
M

Ms. Osteo

Country
Almost 2 weeks update: Day 13 and coming off an excellent night: 3 2-3 h sleeps in bed propped up on pillows. I went back to middle of the night oxycodone so I don’t wake up in pain. I was hoping to be off the heavy stuff by now but that pain really rises up and clobbers you out of nowhere. Anyone else have experience getting off these drugs?? Tylenol works fine during the day. I don’t know what happens at night that causes sudden deep pain to start up. Thanks to all and take care over the holiday.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don’t know what happens at night that causes sudden deep pain to start up.
A bit too much activity maybe? Please don't stress about weaning off medication. When you start forgetting doses it is a sign you can drop the level. This is usually the midday dose.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Ms. Osteo With both of my shoulder surgeries I stayed o the heavy meds during the day for 3-4 weeks and then went to just using it at night time for another month or so. And as Jaycey said when I was forgetting doses it was easy to stop using them all together. If you still need them because of pain -- use them!

OP
OP
M

Ms. Osteo

Country
@Ms. Osteo With both of my shoulder surgeries I stayed o the heavy meds during the day for 3-4 weeks and then went to just using it at night time for another month or so. And as Jaycey said when I was forgetting doses it was easy to stop using them all together. If you still need them because of pain -- use them!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom