Recovery time post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.

ship4

graduate
Country
United States United States
I was given some very interesting information last week. Apparently, for every hour a person is under anesthesia, the body requires 2 weeks to recover from it.
Therefore, since I was under 4 hours, my body will require 8 full weeks to recover from the anesthesia.
I found this to be very enlightening!
No wonder I am going great and then loose all my energy.
I was very pleased to learn this information.
Best,

Crystal

Crystal -
that is the main reason I opted for a spinal - just waist down. I still slept thru the whole thing, but when they woke me up in recovery, I was wide awake the rest of the day (my surgery was at 3pm). My rercuperation post op was so much easier not having to deal with the other drugs in my body.

But, Josephine... there must be pros and cons to both anesthesias. Can you enlighten us? With my scopes acouple years ago, I was awake and watched the whole thing "on TV" It was pretty cool because it didn't really seem like it was me, just a TV show. Didn't really want to watch or listen the the knee replacement surgery though, so they gave me verced and I just dozed...

Crystal you're doing great anyway!

Laurie

Actually doesn't really matter much whether you've had regional or general anaesthesia, that statement holds true pretty much. I have been saying it over and over but I don't think people really took it on board. It's not ONLY the surgery you have to recover from, that makes you feel lethargic and washout after practically nothing at all - it's the anaesthetic.

And - it's not particularly the drugs. It's the being rendered totally relaxed which is abnormal. We never really TOTALLY relax like that. And being still for 2-4 hours - that's abnormal too. It might be something to do with lactic acidosis (like athletes get when they've run a race) or something, I don't know. But I do know that the overall effects of the above combine to make you quickly and inexplicably tired and washed out.

So far as the pros and cons for spinal anaesthesia goes something like this:

Advantages
Cost. Anaesthetic drugs and gases are costly and the latter often difficult to transport. The costs associated with spinal anaesthesia are minimal.
Patient satisfaction. If a spinal anaesthetic and the ensuing surgery are performed skilfully, the majority of patients are very happy with the technique and appreciate the rapid recovery and absence of side effects.
Respiratory disease. Spinal anaesthesia produces few adverse effects on the respiratory system as long as unduly high blocks are avoided.
Patent airway. As control of the airway is not compromised, there is a reduced risk of airway obstruction or the aspiration of gastric contents. This advantage may be lost if too much sedation is given.
Diabetic patients. There is little risk of unrecognised hypoglycaemia in an awake patient. Diabetic patients can usually return to their normal food and insulin regime soon after surgery as they experience less sedation, nausea and vomiting.
Muscle relaxation. Spinal anaesthesia provides excellent muscle relaxation for lower abdominal and lower limb surgery.
Bleeding. Blood loss during operation is less than when the same operation is done under general anaesthesia. This is because of a fall in blood pressure and heart rate and improved venous drainage with a resultant decrease in oozing.
Visceral tone. The bowel is contracted during spinal anaesthesia and sphincters are relaxed although peristalsis continues. Normal gut function rapidly returns following surgery.
Coagulation. Post-operative deep vein thromboses and pulmonary emboli are less common following spinal anaesthesia.

Disadvantages ...

Sometimes it can be difficult to find the dural space and occasionally, it may be impossible to obtain CSF and the technique has to be abandoned. Rarely, despite an apparently faultless technique, anaesthesia is not obtained.
Hypotension may occur with higher blocks and the anaesthetist must know how to manage this situation with the necessary resuscitation drugs and equipment immediately to hand. As with general anaesthesia, continuous, close monitoring of the patient is mandatory.
Some patients are not psychologically suited to be awake, even if sedated, during an operation. They should be identified during the preoperative assessment. Likewise, some surgeons find it very stressful to operate on conscious patients.
Even if a long-acting local anaesthetic is used, a spinal is not suitable for surgery lasting longer than approximately 2 hours. Patients find lying on an operating table for long periods uncomfortable. If an operation unexpectedly lasts longer than this, it may be necessary to convert to a general anaesthetic or supplement the anaesthetic with intravenous ketamine or with a propofol infusion if that drug is available.
When an anaesthetist is learning a new technique, it will take longer to perform than when one is more practised. When one is familiar with the technique, spinal anaesthesia can be very swiftly performed.
There is a theoretical risk of introducing infection into the sub-arachnoid space and causing meningitis. This should never happen if equipment is sterilised properly and an aseptic technique is used. A postural headache may occur postoperatively. This should be rare

Ahhhhh - now it all makes sense - 2 hours under general =4 weeks of being a couch potato with what seems to be no umph! :) Now - how much do I add in for the procedure itself - that way I can tell the hubby when he might see the woman he married show back up (we joke and say I am a bit bi-polar - but only the manic side of it :) )????

Marianne

I don't know. If I had to do it again, I'd still do a general..It's not like I had anywhere to go in January. I'd rather lay there in the chair, stoned, with the t.v. control, the lap top, and all of my BoneSmart Buddies as we helped each other through the "dark ages".

DOUG-
That's exactly what I am doing! Don't have anything important to do till Aug. 13 when I have to be back at school for Inservice stuff.
Marianne!

Crystal -
that is the main reason I opted for a spinal - just waist down. I still slept thru the whole thing, but when they woke me up in recovery, I was wide awake the rest of the day (my surgery was at 3pm). My rercuperation post op was so much easier not having to deal with the other drugs in my body.

But, Josephine... there must be pros and cons to both anesthesias. Can you enlighten us? With my scopes acouple years ago, I was awake and watched the whole thing "on TV" It was pretty cool because it didn't really seem like it was me, just a TV show. Didn't really want to watch or listen the the knee replacement surgery though, so they gave me verced and I just dozed...

Crystal you're doing great anyway!

Laurie

Thanks Laurie,
I have been increasing my daily walks since I have had to back off of PT for the past 2 weeks to allow my incisions to heal. I am happy to say they are finally healed and I have been massaging them and putting pressure on them to "even" the scar out to make it smooth rather than like an overlap (IYKWIM).
The children have loved going on the walks and my Mom helper has stayed at the house with the children who choose not to take a walk and the 2 ~ 1 yo infants.
I hopped on the bike to see if I could make a rotation and I went right around a couple of time on each side! So, my PT will be happy with my progress this week. Hopefully she will tell me I can soak it, and I will be able to use the hot tub in the basement at the end of the day. Nice hot soak right to the bones and then ice the knees.

Jo, thanks for the clarification of the anesthesia. I was truly amazed when I found out. It does make sense tho'.
I am gaining daily too with the activities I do with the children. I no longer take an AM rest or nap, however, I do still require a PM rest or nap while icing.
I was truly fortunate that one of my client Mom's had an AirCast Cryo/Cuff Pump like I used in the hospital. I did not have one in rehab, but I have been using this one she originally lent me. She has since told me I can keep it! It has made an incredible difference in icing. It takes less time and the water in the cuff is always nice and cold!

I hope things are going well for everyone!
Best,
Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads