THR Recovery story

Today … ugh today!
Beautiful day outside and I went for a walk despite my ankle still being a bit swelled. Looks better then yesterday at least.
My right hip is cranky and objecting loads today. After having my left done I guess it thought it should get a break and stop doing most of the heavy work alone.
My right foot at the top was sprained right before surgery which is why the left ankle is very annoying right now.
Flashback headaches from no anti inflammatory for so long as well.
My house looks like an episode of hoarders and my kid needs to get the freaking littler box done. I’m not in a great mood no matter how much I tried to today. My right knee won’t stop twitching either.
On my walk my body just didn’t want to complete it but I pushed through. It wasn’t hurting just tired. I have been tired all day unable to nap. My cat woke me up several times wanting attention if I ignored him he got up at my head and licked my face.
I have messed up my medication by sleeping in and then forgetting later doses. I had to take a dilaudid 2 mg to keep me sane. Being on these for over a decade I have to be careful to slow reduce. Forgetting my gabapentin yesterday morning resulted in my body jolting last night.
Cant wait for my evening shower and clean nightdress. It’s been really hot at times in the house and on my walk today.
Still hungry a lot but no interest in food. Almost all the snacking stuff is gone. It’s only Saturday and as far as I can take my car is the gas station. I might go later and get banana bread. Searching for a car online but unless I test drive it I’m not buying it.
I might take some extra meds to get to sleep tonight. Calling the surgeons office monday to see if I can restart my sleep pills ( magnesium, melatonin and B complex )

@Layla im curious why when I type a post I see this symbol? It’s happened a couple of times … it was not intentional

Also I wanted to note I’m doing weird things with my body and not intentionally. It’s like I’m a contortionist … only way to explain it ! My mind anticipates something hurting before does and moves in the weird shapes and forms. :heehee:
When are we cleared to lay on our stomachs and get a massage ? I will be contacting the surgeon about that as well. I really really need one.

Hi Lyla, I hope you’re having a nice weekend! I’m checking on the symbol that randomly appears for you because I’m stumped.

Re: Massage, I’ll tag my colleague @CricketHip to answer that question as that is her area of expertise.
wanted to note I’m doing weird things with my body and not intentionally. It’s like I’m a contortionist … only way to explain it ! My mind anticipates something hurting before does and moves in the weird shapes and forms. :heehee:
You’re funny! A contortionist! Don’t be running off joining any circus now, ya hear?!!! :wink:

Lyla, regarding the symbol that pops up on occasion. If you will take a screen shot next time you see it, you can report it
Here
We’ll go from there. Thanks

Hi Lyla, I hope you’re having a nice weekend! I’m checking on the symbol that randomly appears for you because I’m stumped.

Re: Massage, I’ll tag my colleague @CricketHip to answer that question as that is her area of expertise.
wanted to note I’m doing weird things with my body and not intentionally. It’s like I’m a contortionist … only way to explain it ! My mind anticipates something hurting before does and moves in the weird shapes and forms. :heehee:
You’re funny! A contortionist! Don’t be running off joining any circus now, ya hear?!!! :wink:
I’ll leave that to the acrobat of the family lol
My youngest did Ariel silks and I could never compete with that ! Although if she does run off with the circus I may need to join to keep an eye on her … I fear clowns so that is out of the question. I’ll just feed the animals

@Lyla

A massage would be so helpful for you, but with a posterior THR, do you have any restrictions? That would be the main concern, whether you violated one of the restrictions maneuvering on and off of the table.

If I were the one working with you I would have you do side lying with the support of pillows. Unless that is an issue, too?

As we always say on this forum, each person is different and it's hard to say how you will manage on a massage table. I think I waited until I was 4 weeks before going for massage and I was an anterior approach. (no restrictions.)

I hope your contortionist tendencies ease up!

Last edited:
I fear clowns
Me Too! Always have been kind of frightened by them. I just don’t like that I don’t know what’s lurking behind all that make-up and weird garb they wear. Creepy.

Let us know if / when you get a massage how it goes. Sounds relaxing and wonderful.
I hope you have a nice night and sleep well, Lyla.

I don't know if the symbol coming up has anything to do with shortcuts on your keyboard...

According to Google:
Left or right shift key being stuck is one of the primary causes behind symbols appearing when you press the number keys on the keyboard

@Lyla

A massage would be so helpful for you, but with a posterior THR, do you have any restrictions? That would be the main concern, whether you violated one of the restrictions maneuvering on and off of the table.

If I were the one working with you I would have you do side lying with the support of pillows. Unless that is an issue, too?

As we always say on this forum, each person is different and it's hard to say how you will manage on a massage table. I think I waited until I was 4 weeks before going for massage and I was an anterior approach. (no restrictions.)

I hope your contortionist tendencies ease up!
I have all the restrictions. Can’t get ahold of the office either. I will need to wait until I get ahold of them to find out.

Well it’s been a week almost at week #4!!
2 days after my shoulder could not take it anymore. I ditched the walker completely and ditched the cane in the house. I use walls and furniture here and there to try and straighten up my walk. I don’t have the proper balance and even weight distribution but it’s improved. Mostly try to use things for a straighter walk. I only use the cane when I go out which is not often. It gets easier each day.

I’m shocked reading all the posts that have PT in the first 6 weeks after. I did get a few exercises such as ankle pumps leg lifts but PT is never given for surgery here until after 6 weeks. ‍♀️ just the way they do things here.

I went to the beach a few days ago with incision covered of course. My surgeon seems concerned with his art work :heehee: so I’m listening to him. I don’t want a big scar anyway. I wore my sneakers and used my cane. Walked slow over the softer sand and sat in a chair. The folding kind. Was nervous at first but it was a beautiful day and my oldest offered to take us. It was a nice drive but the chair in the sand was awkward and not comfortable. She has a bad left leg wears a brace and still has a sprained ankle so getting her to help me off the sand while keeping my leg from bending 90 degrees… wasnt Going to happen:rotfl: she actually used my cane so she could stand just below her knees in the ocean. 2 of us are a sight to see when we go out.
She went to just put her feet in the water and I grabbed my cane decided to walk on the firm sand ( tide recently went out ). When she came back to her towel and looked for me I had walked to the end of the beach! She also told me she thought I’m going to have to rescue her :rotfl: but I did make it all the way back. Slow and steady. My legs were tired and sore but I did it!
Had a restless night after that. Sore and tired didn’t sleep the entire night. I didn’t hurt bad the next day just stiff and very tired muscles surprisingly.

Still have that pain upper mostly inner thigh and now some muscle pains because the muscles are badly wasted. That’s expected as I start to use them again. Pain in the butt as well but it comes and goes.

Challenges - I forget my restrictions sometimes
Heel toe walking - it’s not my natural way to walk.
Wiggle when I walk - not sure if that’s harmful but I can’t not do it. I have a congenital fusion of the L5 S1. My body works different then most peoples. I was born this way not much I can do.
Incision - still painful. But I am doing some massage around it now and then. Most of the scab is gone.
Knee pain - in my knee cap when bending even though I try ( sometimes forget ) to stay below 90 degrees. It’s stiff sore and muscles around it are weird from the way I walked for 4 years.

Although I was not cleared for driving I do occasionally go to the mail and corner store. I’m not on the surgery meds and cut back huge on Pre surgery meds so not really a problem.
Still get really bored a lot but seeing I have progressed when looking back helps.

My neighbour a young guy early 20’s picked me up some plants and planted them for me. I gave him the money for them but it was so nice of him! We live in a duplex and he made a garden that is connected where our yards meet. Some nice fresh veggies are growing thanks to his help. I did give him some of my soil that he needed.

Here is hoping to more progress in the next 2 and a bit weeks. Ready to kick these restrictions to the curb! It will be so nice once I don’t have to sleep on my back anymore. Well now I wrote a book! Lol.

Your day at the beach sounds wonderful Lyla! Walking in the sand is great exercise and so much harder than walking on a flat, firm surface. Especially considering how many beaches are slanted downwards, even slightly. No wonder you are sore!

She has a bad left leg wears a brace and still has a sprained ankle so getting her to help me off the sand while keeping my leg from bending 90 degrees… wasnt Going to happen:rotfl: she actually used my cane so she could stand just below her knees in the ocean. 2 of us are a sight to see when we go out.
This isn’t funny, but it is. I’ll bet you two laughed at how pathetic you felt. I’m odd, when something is awkward, or feels impossible, I end up laughing. I don’t know if it’s a nervous response, or what, but sometimes it’s all you can do to muddle through. I’m envisioning you two trying to help one another…in the sand no less!

Did you notice how your gait changed while walking on sand?
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.
Me neither! It takes a concentrated effort but when engaged I felt more in control as though I was walking stronger, straighter / taller.
Incision - still painful.
Would tenderness better describe it, Lyla? If so, that can last for months.
Knee pain - in my knee cap when bending even though I try ( sometimes forget ) to stay below 90 degrees. It’s stiff sore and muscles around it are weird from the way I walked for 4 years.
This can be from your body re-adjusting to the prosthetic, or from the dislocation process when the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively.

Keep up the good work, you’re doing great, Lyla! I hope you have a nice week. We’re sweltering in my neck of the woods.

She has a bad left leg wears a brace and still has a sprained ankle so getting her to help me off the sand while keeping my leg from bending 90 degrees… wasnt Going to happen:rotfl: she actually used my cane so she could stand just below her knees in the ocean. 2 of us are a sight to see when we go out.
This isn’t funny, but it is. I’ll bet you two laughed at how pathetic you felt. I’m odd, when something is awkward, or feels impossible, I end up laughing. I don’t know if it’s a nervous response, or what, but sometimes it’s all you can do to muddle through. I’m envisioning you two trying to help one another…in the sand no less!

Did you notice how your gait changed while walking on sand?
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.
Me neither! It takes a concentrated effort but when engaged I felt more in control as though I was walking stronger, straighter / taller.
Incision - still painful.
Would tenderness better describe it, Lyla? If so, that can last for months.
This can be from your body re-adjusting to the prosthetic, or from the dislocation process when the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively.

Keep up the good work, you’re doing great, Lyla! I hope you have a nice week. We’re sweltering in my neck of the woods.
Yes the sand was a work out!! Sore muscles for sure but it’s good to start using those muscles again.

My incision pain sometimes it feels pretty bruised even where there is none. I guess that is to be expected for awhile. Sometimes it feels like pulling of stitches but honestly I do think that also is normal. Perhaps the muscles readjusting / building / repairing.

Heel toe walking does provide better balance. I try to remember it. Yet often when I’m on my toes ugh. My muscles have been through so much I need to focus a lot more with walking for now.

My ex went to put my A/C in and dropped it out the window so it’s not working. I guess the weather holding off is a good thing. My fan in my room where I spend most of my time is keeping it nice and cool. Really cold at night though.

My kid is coming to take me to get some supplies thankfully again this week. Not just because I need stuff but because I need to get out of the house! She’s also going to take me to look at cars. I desperately need something. If I had one at least I could go down the road and walk the little field. My road is too hilly.

My back is extra sore again. Can’t wait to be able to bend and move more normal. Keep this spine stiffness away.

:hi:Hi there Lyla
It was a special day yesterday…Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope your back pain and stiffness has eased since you last posted. Wishing you a good week!
@Lyla

Thank you @Layla
Well it will be 5 weeks tomorrow and I go for my X-ray on Thursday!! App with the surgeon is next week :)
It’s been rather boring and I’m cooking at times … ok I order door dash too much but I’m still not allowed to bend down. Although I still forget especially when the cat escaped and no one else was home.
Went to the grocery store on sat with my oldest. Left the cane in the car and grabbed a cart next to us. Got in the store and my daughter (just went back to work today light duties ) was not walking too well on her ankle still. I offered her the cart. I went about the store with no issues. However we were not there long. Long enough that my leg got really tired. Feet sore ! First time I went out and didn’t use anything !
All is good other then I’m bored to tears!!
Tired a lot from not doing much back and shoulder get pretty painful but I proved I don’t need a walking aid for short intervals. Will be buying new treking poles. Costco is where I got my last ones.
Still get sore upper thigh and occasional pain in the muscles but to be expected. Oh and the butt pain.

Long enough that my leg got really tired. Feet sore
Lyla, have you read that it’s advised you get new shoes post op? It can help if you’re still limping and it’s best to avoid shoes with your pre-op wear pattern. Obviously you aren’t going to toss and replace all of your shoes, but if you haven’t already, consider purchasing a comfortable new pair with good support that you can wear most often.

I think the pain / discomfort you describe is normal at only one month after surgery. Good luck with your appt next week. Let us know how it goes.

Long enough that my leg got really tired. Feet sore
Lyla, have you read that it’s advised you get new shoes post op? It can help if you’re still limping and it’s best to avoid shoes with your pre-op wear pattern. Obviously you aren’t going to toss and replace all of your shoes, but if you haven’t already, consider purchasing a comfortable new pair with good support that you can wear most often.

I think the pain / discomfort you describe is normal at only one month after surgery. Good luck with your appt next week. Let us know how it goes.
No I didn’t get new shoes. I’m always barefoot at home and it out on the deck I ummm wear … flip flops. They did have arch support once upon a time and that’s gone.
I’m no longer limping though. I would get new sneakers but my car is dead. I need a new one and there is no public transport. My kid is back to work and everyone is working with the exception of a friend who is out of town visiting his mom. These ones I ordered on Amazon. Never again. They are nikes and ok I just hate the selection. They are ugly and they were the nicest I could find in my size. I honestly can’t wait to ditch them.
I won’t be replacing my others. I couldn’t wear them anyway when things got bad. They all have heels or are boots I couldn’t reach to get on. Can’t wait to wear them again!! Sad no heels on sandals this summer. Next year!

Oh I forgot I walked across my lawn unaided. That was a bit of concern but tried and was very stable. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88