TKR recovery since 24th march

Tomorrow its going to be increased to 3 lbs. Everyone has to put on weights.
This sounds insane to me. Is everyone in this class just after knee replacement?
I have used private pilates lessons for my recovery. My teacher started me with bed based and chair based exercises for the first 3 weeks or so. We only moved back onto the floor at about 4 weeks and introduced tiny weights/ resistance bands at I think remember 4 months. I am still only using 1/2 Kg ( one pound) ankle weights.
I honestly think this is counterproductive and will lead to swelling which will impede your ROM and may actually risk soft tissue injury.
I would rest/ ice and follow a more gentle but regular exercise plan if I were you.
Walking gently is the best exercise.
I started walking outside with crutches from about one week and very gradually increased the distance.
Now at almost 6 months I can walk on the flat better than before my surgery ( 8- 10000 steps every day and occasionally up to 15-17000 steps). My only issue is some slight residual pain on stairs ( due to a longstanding MCL issue- which I am working on in pilates).
My ROM came naturally as the pain and swelling went down.

Tomorrow its going to be increased to 3 lbs. Everyone has to put on weights.
No, they don't, you don't have to! You are the boss and the PT is your employee. You are paying for their service either through your insurance or self-pay. You need to be very gentle with that infant knee of yours and if you keep using weights this early you could very well end up harming your knee permanently.

You need to not go at all or find a different therapist that knows how to rehab a joint replacement. Your bend isn't improving because you are using weights and keeping your knee inflamed, swollen, and painful. This is BAD PT. Please go someplace else.

My ROM, is stuck at 85, I get pain above knee, when i try bending exercise. The 6 inch belt above knee, get heated and very very painful. It prevents further bending.

Please let me know how to overcome this. Thanks.
You can overcome this by resting, icing and elevating more. You are not getting appropriate PT for so early in your recovery and if you continue to do what they are telling you to do, you could have more problems.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

This sounds insane to me. Is everyone in this class just after knee replacement?
I have used private pilates lessons for my recovery. My teacher started me with bed based and chair based exercises for the first 3 weeks or so. We only moved back onto the floor at about 4 weeks and introduced tiny weights/ resistance bands at I think remember 4 months. I am still only using 1/2 Kg ( one pound) ankle weights.

We have hospital partners for PT, and hence not able to change the PT place
I honestly think this is counterproductive and will lead to swelling which will impede your ROM and may actually risk soft tissue injury.
I would rest/ ice and follow a more gentle but regular exercise plan if I were you.
Walking gently is the best exercise.
I started walking outside with crutches from about one week and very gradually increased the distance.
Now at almost 6 months I can walk on the flat better than before my surgery ( 8- 10000 steps every day and occasionally up to 15-17000 steps). My only issue is some slight residual pain on stairs ( due to a longstanding MCL issue- which I am working on in pilates).
My ROM came naturally as the pain and swelling went down.

Yes it is counter productive and not able to get ROM.

You can overcome this by resting, icing and elevating more. You are not getting appropriate PT for so early in your recovery and if you continue to do what they are telling you to do, you could have more problems.

Followed all angels at "bonesmart" and rested, elevated and iced a lot. I was always totally unmovable for 3 days, after PT session. So now taking 1 session per week.
Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
Yes I believe you. It has increased to 90-93.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Good evening.

Its my RTKR, 1 month anniversary. I am grateful to BONESMART, and all members, to contribute to my this graduation day.

My journey, had its ups and down, pain, lack of sleep, lot of swelling above knee, (which prevented ROM) and nasty PT place.

Today, I have successfully overcome many obstacle, by perseverance, YouTube videos, and above all suggestions from the experience of members from bonesmart. A big thank you to all.

Pain management: regular medicine, elevation, cryotherapy from gameready.

Sleep: magnesium suggested by Layla

Improper PT: exercises mentioned on Bonesmart, YouTube videos, and outreaching hospital PT.

Thigh Swelling: Elevation, compression, massaging thigh by knuckle rotation-ary massage, tea (made by boiling 5 cloves, few cinnamon, whole black pepper and ginger). Turmeric tea twice a day, And of course ALEVE

My all challenges are gone except ROM.

Thank you guys for being a solid support.

The only platform, so helpful that I never felt alone in this journey.

Good Evening, indie
What a sweet post full of kind words and gratitude from a grateful heart!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts above and thank you for joining us here. :friends:

While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time. At only one month post op there is still healing happening and it will get even better!
I wish you a very Happy One Month Anniversary!
@indie

Hello everyone

Had second visit with OS, today. He was pleased with my progress.

Check-In

There was second recurrence of TIGHT BAND in thigh region, after my last post. I had stopped drinking that concoction of cloves, cinnamon, black paper and ginger.
I re-started with that twice daily now. ROM has reached 102.

Ayurveda suggest that where ever you have pain, it has more "VAYU", which can be cured with ginger.

Please if you are using it, try it with very small amount. Increase it as per your tolerance. You may have to use washroom often around 8 to 10 times, on first day.

Total swelling has gone, and hence OS was very satisfied.

Thank you.

Resting and not overdoing is so important in this journey,

really i can't thank enough to bonesmart for this wisdom. Anytime you overdo things, you literally go back by 3 days.

Anytime you overdo things, you literally go back by 3 days.
This is not true for everyone but is so for the majority. Sometimes it even takes weeks to recover from previously overdoing it. It is just not worth it.

@sistersinhim

Yes, you are right, it may vary, though to me, it took 3 day of resting to recover PT's using ankle wt. from day 13 of surgery or be it on leg press machine by him before 1st month.

Insane PT.

Whenever, I visit, this forum
Feel security of so many warm hands extended to each member. Day or night, you are just bathed with right info, compassion, and empathy.

Who says you are alone in your tragic time, not at Bonesmart. Not at all. I feel purified just visiting this platform.

My update.....I am shy 3 days of my 2nd month anniversary. PT still gives me goose bump, though I changed to new. whenever I exercise, it gives pain. Recently started having back my sciatic pain, when I exercise. Very Painful and disabling.

Will get better with time I believe.

whenever I exercise, it gives pain. Recently started having back my sciatic pain, when I exercise. Very Painful and disabling.
You should never have extra pain after exercising. This means that your knee is not healed enough to be doing what you are doing. Take off a month from all exercising and just doing your normal activities in your daily life. You will not lose any ROM and will more than likely improve it.

You can not heal any faster by doing exercises but can certainly set it back by doing too much too soon. This sounds like what is happening to you now. If you have this extra pain after exercising, then your knee has to heal from that before it can go back to healing from your surgery. That is a step backward. You don't want that. :flwrysmile:

Such kind words for the forum. Thanks for being a part of it all!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!

I am sorry PT is causing some pain. Consider going slow and easy and if it still hurts, step back for a time. I wish you comfort and a peaceful rest of the week!
@indie

Recently started having back my sciatic pain, when I exercise. Very Painful and disabling.
That's definitely not right. You should be looking for back exercises that relieve sciatica not worsen it.

Take off a month from all exercising and just doing your normal activities in your daily life. You will not lose any ROM and will more than likely improve it.

Yes @sistersinhim I am doing exactly same. It so happened that I changed my PT. She somehow bent the knee for ROM, which accelerated my back pain and incontinence for the first time. which continued till 15 more days, so since 14 may after last PT only resting now.
You can not heal any faster by doing exercises but can certainly set it back by doing too much too soon. This sounds like what is happening to you now. If you have this extra pain after exercising, then your knee has to heal from that before it can go back to healing from your surgery. That is a step backward. You don't want that. :flwrysmile:
Yes listening to you gals. :dancy:

Such kind words for the forum. Thanks for being a part of it all!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!

Yes long 2 months, but not so bad. Thank you @Layla
I am sorry PT is causing some pain. Consider going slow and easy and if it still hurts, step back for a time. I wish you comfort and a peaceful rest of the week!
@indie
Yaa resting since 14 may. Today started mild exercise.

Resting since May 14th…that must have felt like a long Winter’s nap. :wink:

Go s-l-o-w
Stay in touch and let us know how it‘s going. we’re rooting for you! :yes!:
@indie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics