TKR recovery since 24th march

indie

Country
Canada Canada
Hello Everyone, good morning. Mine was same day RTKR, on 24th March. Had to stay in hospital for night, as leg was not steady. I had pain on and off and lots of swelling in the beginning. Thanks to game ready rental, the swelling and pain has subsided quite a lot.

Had 1st physio on 31st march They asked me to stop all exercises that were suggested by hospital physio. The simple exercises are easy to follow, except knee bending. It kills me. I have
regained lot of strength and movement since than. Hubby's loving care has more to do with progress.

except knee bending. It kills me.
No exercise or movements should cause this kind of pain. That's a sign that you are not healed enough to be doing these movements and will cause yourself more swelling and pain afterward. Just move your knee to discomfort only. As you heal, you'll be able to move and bend it more. You can not force it to bend any quicker with forced movements, but you can set your recovery back by forcing it to do more than it's ready to do.

Thanks for your feedback. I will tell the PT about my pain, and will stop where it pains. Any suggestions for OTC sleeping aid?

That is something you should probably ask your PCP since he knows what meds you are on now. We don't want to suggest anything that might be harmful for you.

Indie, I occasionally take Calm. It has magnesium and other good stuff. It relaxes you naturally. I buy it on Amazon. Mix with water and drink it down before bed.

You may want to consider Magnesium...
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you some sound sleep soon! :yawn: :sleep:
I have started on magnesium, thanks Layla.

You know what, before we work our way through one challenge, other pops in. On my 14th day of surgery, I was asked to do PT with 2 lbs ankle weight on both leg. It wiped out my ROM,

Have any of you started ankle weight? how soon and with what benefir?

please share your experiences. thanks

On my 14th day of surgery, I was asked to do PT with 2 lbs ankle weight on both leg. It wiped out my ROM,

No, no! :bignono:This is way too early to start on weights. Your knee isn't out of shape, it is injured from a very traumatic surgery. Ask for a therapist that knows how to rehab a joint replacement. She/he obviously hasn't a clue and will do you more harm than good. We recommend no weights until at least the 3rd month out of surgery. Your knee needs this much time to heal. As you heal you will be able to do more and naturally get your strength back without having to use weights.

I second the suggestion of finding a different therapist. I had the opposite issue than you after my tkr a year ago - I believe I was held back. This time, although I have little faith in PT and a thought that I don't need it after my thr, I insisted on being referred to a different facility. And I've made it clear to people that I'm going in there my first day (May 1st) and tell them my goals rather than settling for theirs. Best of luck to you!

We recommend no weights until at least the 3rd month out of surgery. Your knee needs this much time to heal. As you heal you will be able to do more and naturally get your strength back without having to use weights.
Oh really!!! 3rd month. My gosh, and here me freaking out that i lost my ROM, and felt so tired, couldn't do any work out.

What would i have done without your collective wisdom?

Oh I remember it was only 13th day, As I had gone from PT, straight for staple removal.
Thanks sistersinhim

And I've made it clear to people that I'm going in there my first day (May 1st) and tell them my goals rather than settling for theirs. Best of luck to you!
sunnyphoenix

I liked your idea of going with targets and be assertive about it.

My PT place is more like gym, rather than PT, One lady caters to 12 to 15 clients.

My PT place is more like gym, rather than PT, One lady caters to 12 to 15 clients.
This could be good, you could do only what you want to do and she not know what you are doing. Now, if she tries to put weights on that infant knee of yours, you need to find another PT or put your foot down and take complete control of your recovery and therapy.

Because of birth defects, I had to have 12 knee surgeries, with 6 on each knee, so I've had lots of knee recovery experience. I knew from that experience that I did not need formal PT after my TKR, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and do not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!

Because of birth defects, I had to have 12 knee surgeries, with 6 on each knee, so I've had lots of knee recovery experience. I knew from that experience that I did not need formal PT after my TKR, and neither do many others if they do their own daily activities and do not just sit around all day and night. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
I know, what you achieved, by your common sense, far outweigh PT guidance.
I developed, a program for developmentally delayed kids to make them independent for life in 1985. It required common sense than technique.

you have shown me a way, and yes, I am ready to tackle that lady now. Guideline on BoneSmart and collective experience of all of you will be lifeline.

On my 14th day of surgery, I was asked to do PT with 2 lbs ankle weight on both leg. It wiped out my ROM,
That is way too soon in my opinion.
I am at 24 weeks and am making a reasonable recovery. I have great ROM now ( 140+ and 0 extension) but only started using 1/2 kg ankle weights or a resistance band in the last few weeks. I am being guided by my pilates teacher. We only started more strength based exercises at about 4 months.

That is way too soon in my opinion.
I am at 24 weeks and am making a reasonable recovery. I have great ROM now ( 140+ and 0 extension) but only started using 1/2 kg ankle weights or a resistance band in the last few weeks. I am being guided by my pilates teacher. We only started more strength based exercises at about 4 months.
they want me to be a model, I believe.

Thanks for sharing, you have great ROM.

Oh I remember it was only 13th day, As I had gone from PT, straight for staple removal.
Thanks sistersinhim
This is crazily early for weights!

My ROM, is stuck at 85, I get pain above knee, when i try bending exercise. The 6 inch belt above knee, get heated and very very painful. It prevents further bending.

Please let me know how to overcome this. Thanks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom