Hip Arthroscopy Recovery seems abnormally slow

Scarab

Country
United States United States
Hello, I am turning to this forum to see whether anyone else has any useful information.

I had a hip arthroscopy on 8/28/18. The surgeon repaired a torn labrum, debrided the ligament teres, "cleaned things up," and lengthened the psoas tendon. Whilst in there he found arthritis, some of it advanced.

I am now about 15 weeks post-op, and many things are much better. I have no pain at night or with light everyday activities, I am able to swim a mile, and have taken 10 mile bike rides on flat terrain with no problem. Unfortunately, though, I can't walk as far as a block or two without pain.

The pain is unpredictable; at times it's in the front, at others deep in the hip, at other times the buttock, or the knee, thigh and calf. By the end of a work day with moderate walking, I limp to the car. I am almost finished PT which has progressed to pretty demanding work, but it does not translate to walking ability.

I am wondering now whether I will need to seek other options, such as a THR, or whether any of you has ultimately been able to walk after such a slow recovery.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Recovery from arthroscopy can be long and painful. Unfortunately we see many members go from this recovery to THR
While in there he found arthritis, some of it advanced.
This is your problem. The arthritis is already there and will not get better. Not sure why your surgeon didn't just go right to THR and save you this recovery.

If it were me I would get another opinion. The result may be more surgery but in most cases the improvement is immediate and life changing.

Thank you, Jaycey. I will see my surgeon again in a few weeks, and at that point will seek another opinion as well. At least it's good to know that there are other options remaining. I'm not ready to give up walking!

If I were you I would definitely follow up with your doctor. If it is taking you months to get to the point where you can walk pain free, and you still have the arthritis to deal with, it may be time to look at another option. I am four months out following THR and I couldn't be happier with my ability to walk distances pain free. Within a couple weeks I was already walking with less pain that I had in months. I did not do any PT---just stayed active and walked as much as I could comfortably. I am up to several miles today and have not regretted for a minute having the whole hip replaced. I do still struggle with pain following any sitting, but that leaves within a minute and once I start walking I am good to go. I feel for you----nothing worse than being unable to walk pain free. I took a 3 week trip to Europe last summer prior to my surgery, where every step I took was painful---I hope I never have to go through that again! Good luck.

Thanks, Debru4. I think I will schedule an appointment as soon as possible. Enjoy your several mile walks - I can't wait to be there.

Good idea to see your doctor sooner, rather than later. I know I am especially lucky to be walking so well, so soon. I've always been a walker, and I think being in good walking shape before surgery helped a lot. It must be so frustrating to be struggling with walking after surgery. But hang in there. Something I have noticed by being on this forum is that one person may be doing great in one area, and having trouble in another. And vise versa. It's clear that every type of surgery recovery is so personalized, and no one escapes some of the painful symptoms.

repaired a torn labrum, debrided the ligament teres, "cleaned things up," and lengthened the psoas tendon. Whilst in there he found arthritis, some of it advanced. I can't walk as far as a block or two without pain, pain is unpredictable
All of that is pretty clear that your should have had a THR long er now!
I am almost finished PT which has progressed to pretty demanding work, but it does not translate to walking ability.
You'd have been far better off doing NO pt at all!
I am wondering now whether I will need to seek other options, such as a THR
In a word - YES! But make sure you get one with exceptional experience. You need to read this Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis

I'm sorry you're struggling and suffering pain at almost four months post op.
Especially since it sounds like your surgeon should have gone with THR initially, rather than create the need for an additional surgery. I agree with others in obtaining a second opinion.
I wish you comfort as you await appts and make decisions. Let us know how it goes. We'll be here for support.
A peaceful week and holiday to you.
@Scarab

Layla, Josephine and debru4, thank you so much. I am pleased to report that I have a tentative surgery date set up for April 10 with a highly experienced OS who does a robotic anterior approach. I will meet with a PA next week to be sure that this is the right thing to do and the right time.
The initial decision to go for arthroscopy rather than THR was my own, based on two opinions from different surgeons. I guess I made the wrong choice - but of course hindsight is 20/20. I think once the OS got inside he was surprised at how bad the hip was.
Looking forward to getting this done and resuming my precious, precious walking.

@Scarab --I am so glad you have a new plan, and that you will soon be walking pain free. You're right about hindsight, although it's too bad one of your surgeons missed the obvious. Most of us would opt for the least invasive procedure, which you did. Luckily it's just been a detour, and you'll soon be in a better spot. Keep us posted!

Time to get well!:yes!:
Hang in there...we are rooting for you.:console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom