TKR Recovery Road

2 Weeks Post-Op
My Knee_05_13_2017.jpg

I think especially since you didn't have full ROM before the tkr, you will likely take a while to get up to and hopefully past where you started.

I was in a similar boat. With my RA I had lost a lot of bend and had been at less than 110 for many years. My soft tissues--tendons, ligaments--had adjusted to the old bend. Recognizing that and going slow and steady got me better bend than I had before, if not quite the ideal of 120 or 130. The important thing for me is it's a ROM that lets me do most things I want to do.

My OS never measured my knee either! He just told me to bend it and told me I was doing well. And by the way, I never took PT, not even after 11 knee surgeries, even this tkr. I just used my knee in my daily activities!

Well, it's been 4 weeks today since my surgery. :happydance: So far, I can say that my recovery has been mostly average, based on my readings of the active threads. I definitely consider that a good thing.

Sure, my ROM isn't where I'd like it to be, but it will get there. I see small improvements every day. However, you occasionally have those bad days as several people have noted. My ROM at the end of last week was 80 and it was measured at 95 a couple days ago. My best was 103, so it's all over the place. Don't really care at this point. If 90 is as good as it ever got, I would have no complaints. I can do what I need to do. I have been driving the last couple of weeks out of necessity to get to PT (actually their suggestion :what:). Not much of an issue as I had already cut back a lot on my meds..

Currently, I am still weaning off of the meds. (Percoset). I had cut down to 1 (5mg/325mg) every 4 hrs. for a week. Then I made the mistake of cutting down to 0. Needless to say, that didn't work :bignono:. I had chills and diarrhea . I am now doing 1/2 of a dose in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. Working better, but still have milder versions of the symptoms mentioned (but tolerable).

I cut back on the pain meds. because I just felt they were no longer needed for the pain, and I was right. My pain level now is between 0 and 1. Not really pain, so much as that my new knee aches. I'll just use Tylenol for that. I also want to get back to having a clear head. Don't like this "clouded" feeling.

Oh, yeah, sleep. Almost forgot about that. Not much going on in that department :bored:. Since I have such poor extension (20) even after surgery, it's difficult to sleep on my back (which is what I prefer). I now try to sleep on my side part of the night, but that only works for about 1/2 hr. then the knee starts to ache. So then I rotate positions. Seems like I am constantly rotating positions all night long. Bottom line is I get about 5 hrs. sleep a night.

In summary, I have no regrets about the surgery. Now all I have to do is convince myself that my new knee is up to the task of sharing the burden with the old knee, of getting me around. I continually catch myself walking slouched over. Fell into that habit with my arthritic knee. It will just take time.

To be honest, 5 hours a night is pretty good compared to my usual of 2 hours. @Jennszoo has had similar symptoms when cutting back on Percocet. So I wonder if it's a Percocet thing. You can do quite a bit with 90 and that really good for 4 weeks. I'm sure it will improve once all the swelling is gone. Because of my complications the OS said he'd be happy with a 90, but I was released from PT with a 109 at 5 months post op tha continued to improve up to 18 months post op.

Ask your PT to help with walking/gait issues. Even at 3 months I have to remind myself to push my shoulders back. I'll leave you will a few stretches for extention. I always did the one that stretches the leg between a chair and ottoman. I have great extention!

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/

It's funny that you are a back sleeper and can't get comfortable, I'm a side sleeper and it was awful when I had to sleep on my back. Even though I can now sleep on my side like I prefer I am constantly tossing and turning to get in a comfy new position because of my aching knee.

@KarriB - Thanks for the link. I'm doing all of the exercises on your list. Got them from the forum. My PT also has me doing them at my sessions. I can tell they help, just going to take some time. My therapist also noticed my gait issue. She reminded me of my mom when she said to "stand up straight"[emoji846].

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Can you put pillows under your knee at night? I have been measured at zero extension, but I still don't feel comfortable laying on my back with my legs straight. I alternate between on my back with pillows under and on my side (with pillows under).

"Oh, yeah, sleep. Almost forgot about that. Not much going on in that department :bored:. Since I have such poor extension (20) even after surgery, it's difficult to sleep on my back (which is what I prefer). I now try to sleep on my side part of the night, but that only works for about 1/2 hr. then the knee starts to ache. So then I rotate positions."

You'd think somebody would have developed a sleeping spit by now.:chinstroke:

@Jennszoo - I actually never quit using pillows under my knee, since the extension is so bad. I think some of the issue is the day bed that I've been sleeping on for the last month. It's not very comfortable to sleep in. Now I know where it got it's name, because it's definitely not a night bed [emoji846].

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Well, it's been 6 weeks since my RTKR and I'm experiencing what a lot of us have experienced < depression / frustration>. Yes, I'm on my "pitty pot" :blackcloud:. I feel guilty watching my wife having to do all of the chores that I typically do. We don't have any options and she's OK with it, but just can't help the guilty feeling :sorry:.

I've came to the conclusion that group PT has it's issues. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others, but its hard to avoid when measurements are done in class. This week an 83 year old was released from PT with 0 ext. and 123 flex.. I am totally happy for her :wowspring:. She had her surgery done 2 days before me. Right now, I am at 8 ext. and 110 flex., which admittedly is better than before surgery. I was at 20 ext. and 110 flex. before surgery. I'm just frustrated and want to get back to some type of normalcy (I know it takes time). It wasn't just that 1 case. Seems like I'm more the exception than the rule at my PT class.

I never have missed a PT class and perform their exercises at home on a daily basis. I do make forward progress, but I guess I expect more from the effort I've been putting forth.

Next Tuesday, I meet with my OS to review my progress. I can't help but think a MUA may be offered up. Does anyone know if a MUA improves extension? That's where my big concern is. The muscles and tendons in the back of my leg are really stiff from several years of osteoarthritis.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom