TKR Recovery Road

microwv

Country
United States United States
Well, I thought I would follow the lead of my predecessors and create my thread, prior to the big day. My RTKR is scheduled for tomorrow at 10:30AM.

I've spent the last few weeks browsing the forums and gaining a vast amount of information about the preparations, suggestions, and recommendations both prior to and after surgery. I just want to thank everyone for all of the valuable information.

I have to admit that I'm a little anxious, to say the least, but after speaking to my OS today, I feel a little more comfortable. For pain management after surgery, he uses the "On-Q" system that administers lignocaine directly to the surgical area, for 3 days. That's comforting to know after reading some of the experiences the day after surgery (typically after the block wears off). In addition, he stated that he typical performs about 150 knee replacements a year and he has been doing it now for over 10 years with the Kaiser Medical group here in northern California. Very comforting to know he has a lot of experience with TKRs. PLUS, there is a good possibility that I will go home the same day (depending on how I do after the surgery).

Well, time to spend some quality time with my wife (the caregiver), before the surgical wash and then bed time. See you all on the other side!

Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi microwv,
Seven weeks ago I have bilateral TKR. I too have Kaiser Medical and they really know what they are doing! They have lots of printed material, they give you the ice machine and ice packs to take home. They offer so much support. Good luck tomorrow and just go with the flow.

@gerilari - I found out last week at the pre-op class that they give you an ice machine. Now I have 2, as I bought one well in advance. That's OK, now I have a spare :smile2:.

I have two ice machines now and have been trying to find a way to repurpose it. Maybe a water feature on the patio?

Another member had the On-Q system and he seemed to do really well! Good luck!

Good luck with your surgery in the morning. Post when you can. Here are your very own set of reading containing the guidelines for recovery.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good luck! I still check in on the forum but not active like I was after my TKR. I flew this last weekend and even made it through the flight with no extra leg room. It does get better, but pace yourself because it wasn't nearly as fast as I wanted it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks again for all the well wishes! I'm off to the hospital in a bit. I just want to get this done and start my trip down "Recovery Road".

@newlybionic - Thanks for the reading material! I re-read things quite frequently and find things I have overlooked.

Best wishes and see you on the other side!

You are probably in pre-op now, but I wanted to wish you the best today. I will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing. Good to hear that you re-read things, because I have read the post-op articles several times and find something I missed every time.

Well, made it'll the other side. Passed all of their criteria, so they let me go home. The pain level is about a 3, but I attribute it to the "On-Q". No staples. They used glue.

Right now the leg is all propped up and icing. Toes above the nose.

I think my wife is a little upset that I'm not elevating the way the PT instructed. He said to just place a pillow under the ankle ( for extension). The PT measured my flex at 90, but didn't measure extension. I know you could stick a fist under my knee before surgery, so I know that needs a lot of work.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Ugh. Nurses tried to get me to "elevate" like that - rolled up sheet under ankle. I tried to explain to my husband that that is not elevation, that's an extension exercise and not comfortable - day of surgery they were pulling this. Why are they so cruel? Glad you're on the other side. I'm admittedly a little jealous of this on-Q system.

Congratulations on your new knee. I'm happy to hear surgery went well. Don't worry about regaining full extension. It will come soon enough. Since I didn't have full extension before surgery it took me almost a year to get there. It will come as you start to walk.

Well, I was up and down all night using the restroom. Geees! Pain level is about a 1 while laying down and icing. I attribute that to the On-Q, which is good for another 2 days . The rest of the time it's around a 4. My flex is still at 90.

Anyone else out there have to give themselves anti-clotting injections? I have to do that for 10 days.

Welcome to the other side. You may want to have your wife read the recovery articles posted for you. It might help her understand the importance of elevation. Best wishes to you.

Thanks for the suggestion @sandi4213! I'll give it a try. She can be pretty stubborn.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks