TKR Recovery Progress Stalled

@Starsfan22 I have never heard of excessive sugar causing inflammation before- that really explains a lot in my case!
I suppose we all feel we deserve to treat ourselves and just go for the things that we enjoyed as children - cake, sweets/candy, and chocolate or even the things we enjoy as adults- wine, port and sherry!:martini:
Tis the season for these things but this year we should really be looking for lots and lots of rest, ice, medication and elevation !
Ah well, next year will be better!
I wish you a happy, healthy, safe New Year!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

I spent yesterday icing and icing.

For me, there's 'being on your feet as the good hostess on Christmas Day' and there's spending time in your feet but exercising 'the knee'.
The former, in my case led to a Boxing Day of icing.

I said I was going to give the gym a miss for a while because of Covid. I realise, I can't. I'll go triple masked up as we're not talking madly aerobic exercises here. The bike, the rower and the leg press had an amazingly beneficial effect for me and a few days without is telling. My knee has stiffened up considerably.

@Scaredycat10 I stopped using my crutch in the house a few days ago and really should have waited till tomorrow to do it. The extra standing at the stove really did a number on my knee, it kept up my exercise levels but I should have iced a lot more. Spent the last few days throbbing:tantrum:
My husband was looking forward to me cooking over Christmas and giving him a break- he got his break and now I have to take mine:groan:
I missed not doing my regular exercise routine and even though I was on my feet constantly my knee still stiffened up, I understand how you feel completely!
Just be really really careful at the gym, if you can do similar exercises at home do so otherwise mask up and sanitise the equipment as you go, complete clothing change once home and shower. The reproduction rate for omicron is extremely high right now so be careful.
Some companies will rent out gym equipment but you do need space in your home for it. I bought the exercise pedals which were very reasonable and I have a TENS machine that does electrical muscle stimulation that again was quite reasonable , altogether both cost under €100 ( early Christmas present) you might find much better deals where you are. You can also get a fairly reasonable rowing machine on a site that starts with a red Arg..!
Mind yourself and I am taking the early opportunity to wish you a happy and healthy New Year!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

I have to balance my risk of Covid [no gym] and rehabilitating my knee [gym].

The gym I go to is huge and very airy. It's in an aircraft hanger type building and not an enclosed typical gym. Lunch time is probably the best time to go. Triple masked and my own sanitiser will have to suffice.

There are sanitiser stations all over the gym floors and members DO sanitise machines after use. As gyms go, it's possibly the best constructed building to combat virus infections, around.

I don't want to go but as I was used to going three times a week, I don't want to set back my rehab by not going.

Catch 22.

Good Morning, Sorry to read that you too are suffering from overdoing too much but relieved to see I'm not the only one :gaah: I was OK till about 6pm yesterday then it went rapidly downhill, today I can barely bend my knee and have that tight band feeling right round it.
Although I didn't go online at 4am I was awake, I'm trying not to use my phone in the early hours as it stimulates my brain and further sleep is impossible, last night I resorted to the SOS pill but this morning even my back aches- what a mess huh ...

Wishing us foolish women whom think we know best in the kitchen, a relaxing, feet up, covered in ice day today and a better tomorrow.
Hugs to you all xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Sara!
It’s not surprising we overdid it - we all want to be better now, not in a week or a month or a year- now! It would be nice if we were born with patience instead of having to learn to have it.
Also most women are carers, whether it’s for children, husbands or parents- we were raised that way. We always put others first and never really think of ourselves so it’s really hard to take care of ourselves, put ourselves first, it goes against how we were raised.
I knew you had been on earlier but figured you might have gotten some elusive sleep. Yep the leg is swollen and letting me know it’s not impressed. I have a furry barricade in front of my chair to keep me in place- I have included a photo.
Hopefully we do as we need to do for the day and rest, ice, medicate and elevate!
I am wishing you an early happy, healthy and safe New Year !
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

A2032DAB-386D-49D4-9978-7DE9F3B7B4B9.jpeg

No truer word has been said ! Desperately trying to find a comfortable position - in times like this I would love a Recliner but our lounge would be too overcrowded, and as we let out our home two months of the year ( high season) I need to keep it clutter free as possible.
Just love the photos of your dogs - Mali as usual is glued to my side:):puppysmooze: they are such an enormous confort xx

Attachments

• 20211227_100037_copy_600x800.jpg
    20211227_100037_copy_600x800.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 124
Ok, wear shoes when walking around inside your home or you may stub your toe so hard you break it…….:tantrum::headbang::gaah:
I have managed to break my little toe on the same leg as the knee replacement, I didn’t break the skin luckily. It’s now taped to the toe next to it and throbbing away. Guess I have to put the feet up now whether I like it or not.
It is the silly kind of accident that is completely avoidable so please keep your shoes on!

This is one of the main reasons I wear shoes around the house. Too easy to do exactly what you did! Unfortunately I too learned from experience. Hope that toe pain eases quickly!

What on earth have you been doing you daft girl, well - God does work in mysterious ways to make us slow down & rest, but a sore toe, is not nice and jolly well hurts :bignono:

Yesterday I hit my knee ( thankfully below the incision) on the dishwasher it hit my shin :gaah:had I been able to hop, I would have, all you could hear from me were profanities, thankfully other than another bruise on top of what I have, a lesson learned- look where you are going haha.
Sending you healing hugs and give that leg /toe plenty of tlc - Feet & legs up Woman !! Xx

Ouch! I’m so sorry for your toe! Hopefully it won’t be a long recovery. Seems unfair that you have to deal with that on top of the knee recovery. Take care.....

@Catalien45 the toe should heal over the next few weeks- can’t leave the house at the moment as I can’t put on shoes as it’s too swollen- which funnily enough is how I got myself into this in the first place:rofsign:
@Starsfan22 Believe me I am hyper aware of exactly where each chair leg is now- it was eye watering when it broke and I never want to do that again :thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts